Menu

Time per lesson: MEP

Amy Jo

I'm trying to decide if we are taking to long on math. Especially on DS8's "off" days. So if any uses/has used MEP - how long did the day's lesson take? Did you do the teacher's lesson and the worksheet or ??? If you shortened your day, how did you do it? Thanks!! Amy

We use the teacher's lesson plan and worksheet, so our lesson takes ~20 to sometimes 30 minutes. If there is a puzzle involved, it may take longer, but I usually put those aside for after supper to go over.

If an MEP lesson seems from the outset to be long, I divide it up over two days. But I do go over the entire lesson plan using the teacher's guide, and some of the activities in the lesson plan are included in the copymasters. That's an extra page or two or sometimes three added into our worksheet work, so you can see that the day can be long, or even split between two days.

I have noticed that on days we split the lesson in halves, the overnight wait until the next lesson time seems to *gel* the concept we were working on, and the second half of the lesson is easier to finish. So there is something to be said for taking it slowly and making sure they *get* what the lesson is conveying, KWIM?

Hope this is of some help to you.

I would say, it isn't radically different from the times suggested. Sometimes things drag, or go much quicker, but I probably do about 45 min. A few months ago, I think I just did 1/2 hr or so per day, but now I'm usually doing one lesson. However, I do sometimes mix it up with a different thing instead of MEP or in addition to it.

We do about an hour (or maybe more) total for math daily; this includes MEP and either Singapore or Miquon (but not all three on one day). Sometimes MEP is the longer one, some days it is Singapore--it really can vary depending on the topic and the children :). I'd say 30 min. for MEP is average (and we do all the stuff we can in the teacher's notes). Sometimes I do split up math into morning and afternoon times, especially if I sense that there is a lot of frustration in the air. Stepping back seems to help.

I know that some folks who use MEP just pick and choose from the problems on the worksheet to best fit their time or what would challenge their kids.

Hope you find what best works for you and yours.