Menu

Knitted Gifts

Um do I admit they're still on the needles and officially UFO's? :D

I had low expectations for myself as there was furniture stripping and sewing involved in other gifts, lol. All I wanted to do was knit a pair of longies and a matching hat for DD's new dolly. It didn't get done but I'm finishing up this week and maybe I'll get extra bonus points for the effort, lol.

HI Knitters!

How did your knitted Christmas gifts go over?

Care to share what you made?

astrid

DD 11, hugged her dollly and couldn't stop smiling

DD 10 said, "Thank you for not giving my dolly chubby legs."

DD3 twirled her dolly around and around, stripped her and dumped her on the floor. I think that's dolly love, right?

I knitted my mom a caplet/shawl thingy (which she loved and didn't believe I made) and my sisters fingerless gloves (my older sister particularly loved these as she is going to wear them in her office which is always freezing). I knit another lacy scarf and a neckwarmer scarflet.

Now I'm back to my favourite knitting project . . . socks.

Just finished my last gift a few minutes ago. :D I knit all 3 dc Maine Morning Mitts. This pattern is so fast and easy. Ds2 was just ok with his mitts--he wanted the kind with partial fingers (fingerless gloves). Ds1 and ds2 got socks and they both like their socks. Dd got a neckwarmer--she picked the (gaudy) Christmas yarn for it. It was just a 2x2 ribbed tube but she has enjoyed using it as we got the once-in-a-century white Christmas here in GA.

Dh got nothing this year, but I am going to attempt my first sweater--Cobblestone--for him. And I am considering knitting him some socks for work. They have to be black, but I could work in some nice ribbing patterns. I don't think he'd go for cables on his socks, though.

Slightly OT as I didn't actually complete any knitting projects this year for the holidays: what is the best yarn (I mean weight and blend) for knitting heavy duty socks my dh can wear with his boots. He wears these boots gardening, working in the shop, working around the land, etc. Most of his socks get huge holes in the balls of the foot fairly quickly.

Too, does anyone have a favorite pattern/book for knitting a variety of socks? I need some more inspiration. Thanks.

I mittens for everyone that were well received. I'm still working on dh's mittens. I saved his for last, because I knew it wouldn't bother him if I didn't have them ready by that day. I had his second one almost done yesterday, then realized I did it all wrong and had to frog it. Today I'm almost back up to the thumb. Might have it done tomorrow.

Ah, Astrid! Thanks for starting this thread! Hand-knitted items (crocheted, too!) are often less well received- not because people don't appreciate the gifts, but because it's something handmade in a "what'd you buy me?" world, kwim?

So I'm passing a big round of pats on the back to all the hand-crafters who shared time and love in making the perfect gift!

I kept my items simple. Amazingly, I finished every last one. Of course, then dh piped up on Christmas day, saying he'd really like a balaclava. *sigh* A busy knitter is a happy knitter, eh?

Handspun hat and scarf for my mother, father, aunt, and uncle. Handspun hat and mittens for mil, and scarf and mittens for dd from the leftover yarn from my dad's hat and scarf.

Slightly OT as I didn't actually complete any knitting projects this year for the holidays: what is the best yarn (I mean weight and blend) for knitting heavy duty socks my dh can wear with his boots. He wears these boots gardening, working in the shop, working around the land, etc. Most of his socks get huge holes in the balls of the foot fairly quickly.

Too, does anyone have a favorite pattern/book for knitting a variety of socks? I need some more inspiration. Thanks.

Wool with some nylon makes great, sturdy socks--I'd say a 75% wool/25% nylon blend would work best. I'm not sure if you can get this blend in worsted weight, which would make nice boot socks. You probably can, I just don't know what brand carries a worsted in this blend. Anyway, I like Knit Picks Stroll, which comes in a sport weight. You could try searching at WEBS but if you haven't been to that website before it can be rather overwhelming. I have made socks from Lion Brand Wool-ease but they wore through rather quickly and weren't that warm--too much acrylic in the blend.

For basic sock knitting I like Ann Budd's Getting Started Knitting Socks. She has recipes for various sizes and various yarn weights. The only adjustment you'd need to make is to have a long cuff.

Almost forgot to mention--if you want a worsted weight sock and can't find a yarn you like, I have successfully knitted a strand of sport and a strand of fingering together at a worsted gauge. So that's another option for you.

Enjoy!

ETA: For some reason I thought you were new to socks but after re-reading your post it sounds like you've done socks and just want other patterns to look at. Cookie A has a couple of sock books for the intrepid sock knitter. Also, are you on Ravelry? If not get there quick! I only search on the free sock patterns and there are way too many great ones. That should give you a start.

Edited by Cinder

I only managed two gifts made with yarn this year. The Pokeball was well loved, and the ponytail friendly hat was worn the next few days in a row. I think I did good. :001_smile:

I did much more sewing this year. Stuffed mermaid dolls, a playmat to coordinate with a Thomas set, a skull and drumsticks hoodie, stuffed bat, doll accessories, quilt, satin princess cape, and a pettiskirt. Most of those items were well received too.

I'm a very new knitter. I just taught myself a couple of months ago, so I'm still in the "scarf" stage. I made my DD3 a scarf and she loved it. She kept saying, "Mommy made scarf for MEEEE!" LOL! Hopefully by next year I'll be able to make them dolls or animals.

Wool with some nylon makes great, sturdy socks--I'd say a 75% wool/25% nylon blend would work best. I'm not sure if you can get this blend in worsted weight, which would make nice boot socks. You probably can, I just don't know what brand carries a worsted in this blend. Anyway, I like Knit Picks Stroll, which comes in a sport weight. You could try searching at WEBS but if you haven't been to that website before it can be rather overwhelming. I have made socks from Lion Brand Wool-ease but they wore through rather quickly and weren't that warm--too much acrylic in the blend.

For basic sock knitting I like Ann Budd's Getting Started Knitting Socks. She has recipes for various sizes and various yarn weights. The only adjustment you'd need to make is to have a long cuff.

Almost forgot to mention--if you want a worsted weight sock and can't find a yarn you like, I have successfully knitted a strand of sport and a strand of fingering together at a worsted gauge. So that's another option for you.

Enjoy!

ETA: For some reason I thought you were new to socks but after re-reading your post it sounds like you've done socks and just want other patterns to look at. Cookie A has a couple of sock books for the intrepid sock knitter. Also, are you on Ravelry? If not get there quick! I only search on the free sock patterns and there are way too many great ones. That should give you a start.

Cinder,

Thanks for the info. I've knitted some socks before, but wasn't real happy with the outcome. No, I'm not on Ravelry. I keep thinking I need to join, then never do. So, thanks also for the reminder.

I like Knit Picks Stroll, which comes in a sport weight.

I heartily second Ann Budd's book. It's been wonderful! And I have to say that I'm a Knit Picks addict.

I'm a very new knitter. I just taught myself a couple of months ago, so I'm still in the "scarf" stage. I made my DD3 a scarf and she loved it. She kept saying, "Mommy made scarf for MEEEE!" LOL! Hopefully by next year I'll be able to make them dolls or animals.

Oh, how SWEET! Congratulations on a job well done!

astrid

I've been wanting to try socks for a while and assumed I'd need to take a class, but the reviews for this book are almost unanimous that it will teach anyone how to knit socks, so I just ordered it. Thank you for the suggestion!

Jackie

Wow, everyone! I'm in awe of each and every project you made with love for your beloveds--- it's such a lovely way to give a part of yourself to those you love.

BRAVO, you hearty knitters, crocheters, seamstresses and crafters! Here's to a new year filled with handcrafts!

astrid