Menu

What did you NOT get for Christmas that you really hoped for (realistically, I mean)?

I know we'd all like world peace or more hours in our days or a new car, etc., but on a more realistic level, what did you want but didn't get? I asked for several games. Of the ones I asked for, I only got Bananagrams, and it came with no instructions, no hang tag, and I think some of the tiles may be missing. :( I got one game I didn't ask for and never heard of--Bezzerwizzer--but it looks like it will be fun.

I'm not upset about not getting the games I asked for, just somewhat surprised. Everyone who knows me knows that I love card & dice games, so I put an assortment of relatively inexpensive ones on my Christmas list. I guess I'll be shopping the after-Christmas sales. ;)

Edited by ereks mom

a surprise. I guess I don't understand how difficult it is to shop for me. I can walk into a store and see a dozen "little" things that it would be nice to find as a gift...

I certainly don't have that issue with my dh. I'm always running across things I think he'd like.

My dh felt bad... but this makes 2 years in a row. Yes, I know I'm getting a house. And, it makes me SOOO happy. But I even had to buy my own Red Vines this year. :sigh:

yoga pants - - I really, really need new (i.e. not worn out and shabby-looking) clothing for my bottom half, but I also like to be comfy. I thought maybe this would be a good compromise, but, alas, I'm still wearing my few pairs of faded, rather worn comfy pants that Land's End no longer makes but that drape well on me and don't drive me nuts by feeling too confining. (I sort of have a clothing-claustrophobia - my name for it, anyway) Maybe my upcoming birthday will bring new pants . . .

Money is tight. I wasn't sure if DH and I would even get gifts. However, I very directly told him, "If you take the kids out to get me something, I want a pizza peel. It will cost about $20."

I got a bag of chocolate and a robe. I do enjoy chocolate and have almost eaten the bag, with help from the kids, of course. I hate robes. They feel confining, don't stay wrapped around you right, and the big sleeves get in the way when trying to wash dishes or cook something in the morning. DH told me, "But you always borrow mine." No, not really. I throw his on for about 2 minutes a month when I have to run through the house naked to get my jeans or a clean towel out of the dryer. He also got the wrong size so I have to take it back anyway.

I asked for a new drinking glass so that I would be better at drinking water all day...nope. I was hoping for a new robe to replace my disgustingly old one...nope. My poor hubby tried so hard to get a replacement for my empty perfume (Nina by Nina Ricci) and some stoopid salesman sold him a completely different perfume by Nina Ricci and told dh that they had just changed the name, the packaging, and bottle design...:confused:. A nice holiday anyway, with lots of tiny personal notes from my daughters attached to their little handmade gifts to me, very special! :)

I sort of have a clothing-claustrophobia - my name for it, anyway.

Thanks for naming my condition! I can't wear anything tight. I don't understand how anyone wears long sleeves, especially tight ones, or button down shirts, or jackets when it isn't snowing. I prefer to be cold over wearing a jacket, unless I'm so cold, I'm shivering. PJs are an issue, too, because they get all twisted up when I sleep. (Don't anyone else end up with PJ pants hiked up and twisted around their thighs?) Oh, and if you check the what I didn't get for Christmas thread, you'll read that I hate robes, too.

i specifically told my dh to take the kids to get me a little massager. they love massaging mama with a huge massager and it just hurts because half of the time, my four year old drops it on me or bangs me with it soo i thought it would be a perfect opportunity. i even showed him which one and he took the kids to get it, looked at it, got overwhelmed with the color choices and left without buying it..mind you this was on the 23rd. he said we would go back and get it..i was too annoyed at that point and still have no massager! :lol: now i don't want one out of sheer annoyance!:lol:

seema

I very directly told him, "If you take the kids out to get me something, I want a pizza peel. It will cost about $20."

I got a bag of chocolate and a robe. He also got the wrong size so I have to take it back anyway.

Maybe the store where he got the robe will have the pizza peel you want.

Nothing really.

There aren't many things I want to begin with and what I do want just isn't feasable money wise or space to put it.

The one thing I really really want is for us to move from IL to PA... sooner the better. The best after Christmas present I could ask for is for Dh to find a job in PA. He has an interview in a few weeks....

A can opener. My old one finally bit the dust a month ago and I really wanted one. It is the only thing I asked for from my FIL/SMIL because I knew money was tight for them but they would buy me something anyway so I wanted it to be something useful. They ended up getting a windfall and wanted to do something nice.

They didn't want to buy me something practical so they bought me a new wallet, a journal, a shirt, a sweater, a gift card to home depot, and a musical playing carousel with bears. The latter thing will be going in the next goodwill box because it is just not my style and I have no room for knick knacks. All the other things are nice and I appreciate them. I am happy that I have in-laws that care enough to buy me anything (My MIL/SFIL and DH's siblings ignore us for most part and me completely) and think it's sweet that they wanted to spoil me. However, I would have been thrilled to no end with just getting a can opener.

DH promised to take me to get a can opener with our next paycheck.

They didn't want to buy me something practical so they bought me a new wallet, a journal, a shirt, a sweater, a gift card to home depot, and a musical playing carousel with bears.

Last time I was in Home Depot, they had Black and Decker Can Openers....maybe you can use that gift card !

a surprise.

However, I very directly told him, "If you take the kids out to get me something, I want a pizza peel. It will cost about $20."

I got a bag of chocolate and a robe. ...DH told me, "But you always borrow mine."

You two need to switch husbands. :lol: One of you wanted a surprise and the other one got a surprise and would have rather had what you asked for in the first place. :tongue_smilie:

Gosh, nothing. Dh and I don't do gifts for each other, but we buy what we want when we want it (within reason). Actually, I only got 5 Christmas gifts this season, period; one from my mom and 4 little things from friends. I got some little lotions, a candle, a magazine subscription, and a door plaque with some neat saying from the Bible about friends. The gift my mom gave me was VERY special. We were hitting yard sales this summer and they had this GREAT purse for $3 with a matching wallet. It looked new and was in my favorite colors. My mom saw it and bought it. She knew I had been looking at it, but I didn't say anything and she didn't either. Later, I joked with her that I would give her double her money if she'd let me have that cool purse. She said, "no." and that was that. Well, for Christmas, we always tell her not to buy for the adults (we don't exchange gifts with any adults in our families, but we always buy for my mom because she lives alone and has no one else - we say it is from the kids) and she never obeys the rules. This year, I fully expected to open something over-priced that I didn't want or need...but when I opened the box, it was the yardsale purse. :) I squealed with excitement. She obeyed the rules...she didn't buy me anything expensive and if she originally bought the purse for herself, it was very sweet and selfless of her to give it to me instead.

I bought my fun stuff on Black Friday while shopping with the girls (sleep pants, B&B Works/Victoria's Secret body lotions, Yankee Candles, jogging pants, Muck Luck booties). And we got a wood stove put in on Christmas Eve. I am getting new furniture in March. I have no complaints.

Edited by Tree House Academy

Money is tight. I wasn't sure if DH and I would even get gifts. However, I very directly told him, "If you take the kids out to get me something, I want a pizza peel. It will cost about $20."

I got a bag of chocolate and a robe. I do enjoy chocolate and have almost eaten the bag, with help from the kids, of course. I hate robes. They feel confining, don't stay wrapped around you right, and the big sleeves get in the way when trying to wash dishes or cook something in the morning. DH told me, "But you always borrow mine." No, not really. I throw his on for about 2 minutes a month when I have to run through the house naked to get my jeans or a clean towel out of the dryer. He also got the wrong size so I have to take it back anyway.

Well, be sure to walk through the housewares department on your way to returning that robe....I'm sure a pizza peel will jump up and chase after you forcing you to spend the refund on the peel. :grouphug:

A ceramic bread basket that comes with a fabric napkin and a little ceramic warmer that you tuck into a pocket on the napkin. I put it on my list. I showed dh where to buy it. I described it and told him what color I wanted.

He got me a plain wicker basket.

It's ok, actually. I didn't mind. The worst part was when he asked me if that was what I meant and I confessed that no, it wasn't. He said, "Oooooooooohh, yeah. That one thing you showed me. Was that what I was supposed to get?" And he was crushed. That was worse than not getting the basket I wanted.

Oh well. :) He did great with the slippers I'd pointed out in the window of the shoe store, and he surprised me with a cross stitch frame which was exactly perfectly what I needed.

I'll buy him a ceramic bread basket for Christmas next year.

Cat

I really want a down comforter because I am forever, eternally, unceasingly, continuously cold! I did ask for that and gave dh the JC Penney catalog with it circled (not really one for subtlety). However, I cannot complain, because he got me two other things that I had specifically said at various times that I really wanted (a rotisserie oven and a vacuum sealing food thingy). There will be a down comforter at some point; I just may have to be cold for another year. :glare:

P.S. Last year, I bought a full-length down coat with the money my MIL gave me for Christmas. It's not a fashion statement by any stretch, but that thing is so dang warm! I had to go to a funeral today in the windy, nor'easter, freezing cold and I was SOOOOO happy that I had that coat! :001_smile:

Books. I have 36 books on my Amazon wishlist and I didn't get a single one. And for the first time in memory, the ILs didn't get me a gift card to Borders or Barnes & Noble.

I was shocked when I didn't get books this year. I think people are tired of seeing the same ol' thing on my wish list. But dh surprised me today. He took the dog to the dog park, and when he got back, he handed me a bookstore g.c. and said, "I found this in my poclet. It was supposed to be in your stocking." LOL

Cat

Every year I ask for the same thing: something, anything, homemade. You know how kids in school make things for mom and dad to take home and give. Well, obviously I don't get those. I always ask that my husband or mom take my daughter somewhere, or stay here while I'll go out, and help her make something for me.

They never do. :(

Two little decorative things from Pier One Imports. I asked my MIL for them and she usually gets what I want. I usually ask for useful things. She doesn't like getting me useful things, so instead, I found these doo-dads and fell in LOVE with them. So I knew that if I asked her for them, she'd get them, because she LIKES to buy doo-dads for people. When I woke up on Christmas Eve, I was sooo excited about getting them (we exchange gifts with the in-laws on Christmas Eve.) I cleared away the spot where I'd put them.

But when I opened my gift, it was a purse that looked very much like the one I already have, but the handles were too long and the insides were all wrong. I was VERY disappointed. And then I felt guilty for feeling so disappointed.

I'm going to return the purse to Kohl's and hope they give me money back (and not a store card), so I can go to Pier One and get the doo-dads that I want.

OH! And on Christmas day I opened the gift from my mother.....and it was ANOTHER purse! (But I really liked that one, so I'm keeping it. It's entirely different from the one I use and has lots of pockets to put stuff in.)

But, honestly, this was probably my best Christmas EVER. And it's because I ordered all my gifts for myself: a BUNCH of books from Amazon that have been on my wish-list for years (and years and years!). I finally just told Dh, "This year, I want ALL the books on my list." And I got them all. I'm in heaven!

Edited by Garga

Thanks for naming my condition! I can't wear anything tight. I don't understand how anyone wears long sleeves, especially tight ones, or button down shirts, or jackets when it isn't snowing. I prefer to be cold over wearing a jacket, unless I'm so cold, I'm shivering. PJs are an issue, too, because they get all twisted up when I sleep. (Don't anyone else end up with PJ pants hiked up and twisted around their thighs?) Oh, and if you check the what I didn't get for Christmas thread, you'll read that I hate robes, too.

I have the same problem. I do wear long sleeves but I'm constantly pushing them up because they feel too confining on my arms.

Kelly

I didn't really think he was, but you know how you still hope anyway beucuz the world just isn't supposed to be like this? My husband didn't get me anything, or anything from our 2 little girls (since 2003, I've gotten 2 things from him). He bought himself two things, oh yes. He usually doesn't even know it's my birthday either; I've never gotten a birthday gift from him or a cake even. He has not known it was our anniversary for 5 out of the seven yrs we've been married also.

It truly IS the thought that counts. If you got a gift to open on Christmas, feel loved. I'd love to open any gift from my mom, she'd be alive then. His mom is in WA state and my dad is in NC (he sent money which I bought the girls some gifts with and a book for me). I was raised very materialistically by a very- spoiled-only-child-mom and a never-had-a-dang-thing-so-ur-gonna-have-it-all-dad. So I understand the point of the thread. But reading the posts just made me want to say, Hey, Stop A Minute and Be Happy you're loved!

Josh Groban's new CD. But FIL forgot several of our gifts when he loaded up their car to come to our house on Christmas day, so I'm still holding out hope. I specifically didn't buy it for myself because I was pretty sure MIL would get it for me :D

Really though, I can't complain. We had a stellar Christmas here. One of the best in a long time.

Slippers. I really wanted a nice pair of cozy, warm slippers. It's all good--I now just get to shop the after Christmas sales! :)

Same here.

Books. I have 36 books on my Amazon wishlist and I didn't get a single one.

Yep, apparently books are not a real gift I was told.

I didn't really think he was, but you know how you still hope anyway beucuz the world just isn't supposed to be like this? My husband didn't get me anything, or anything from our 2 little girls (since 2003, I've gotten 2 things from him). He bought himself two things, oh yes. He usually doesn't even know it's my birthday either; I've never gotten a birthday gift from him or a cake even. He has not known it was our anniversary for 5 out of the seven yrs we've been married also.

It truly IS the thought that counts. If you got a gift to open on Christmas, feel loved. I'd love to open any gift from my mom, she'd be alive then. His mom is in WA state and my dad is in NC (he sent money which I bought the girls some gifts with and a book for me). I was raised very materialistically by a very- spoiled-only-child-mom and a never-had-a-dang-thing-so-ur-gonna-have-it-all-dad. So I understand the point of the thread. But reading the posts just made me want to say, Hey, Stop A Minute and Be Happy you're loved!

:grouphug: I'm sorry, really. From your post I also really wonder why you are still married?

Tazo Joy tea. I've been getting this for 2 years now, but none this year. Dh says he doesn't want to be too predictable.:tongue_smilie: Hopefully it's not sold out already. I also really wanted one of those shiatsu foot massagers. I've been hinting since last year. Guess I'll have to buy one myself.:001_smile:

Every year I ask for the same thing: something, anything, homemade. You know how kids in school make things for mom and dad to take home and give. Well, obviously I don't get those. I always ask that my husband or mom take my daughter somewhere, or stay here while I'll go out, and help her make something for me.

They never do. :(

:grouphug:

Cat

the gift card to the restaurant that DH had promised me so we could go on a nice date. I was SO, SO looking forward to the prospect of having something I really wanted and that I didn't have to buy, or even suggest, under the tree. I had been so impressed that DH came up with a really great gift idea without any prodding. Now we are out of $$ again, so it probably won't happen till tax return time. :( I know I am being selfish, but I love giving gifts, and I love receiving gifts, so I am disappointed not to receive the one I was looking forward to. :glare:Pity party over...:tongue_smilie:

Yep! I'm a thrasher too. :D

I bought myself a robe years back and it just hangs in the bathroom. The sleeves ARE a nuisance.

I often look at clothing on racks and wonder "Who wears this stuff"? People who do not need to use their hands for anything that might get them dirty? Remember the flared sleeve fashions from not too long ago? The ones that came down to the fingertips? Geesh! My usual "uniform" is a short sleeve t-shirt with a sweater or hoodie (usually from the men's dept.) over it. Then I push the sleeves up most of the time.

Well we don't do Christmas, but Chanukah was 8 days long and I still didn't get anything from dh. He gave me a budget and told me to make a list. Still no present. :glare:

I asked for (bearing in mind his budget which was a product of his not getting me any gifts for over 3 years because of being out of work, and now he thank G-d has a good job and this is a list of CHOICES not asking for all of them!):

Keurig coffee maker

Nano

Garmin running watch

Got zilcho, at least so far. Sigh. I just think he doesn't even realize how disappointing it is, especially since he *asked*! I got him a whole bunch of running stuff for the colder weather.

On the other hand, he has been very accommodating of my training time for the marathon (doing Disney next week!) and giving me extra time to run with my track club and meet them for coffee after, so that's a good thing. Because he really wants to go out with his triathalon club!