Menu

We've been over this before, but...Droid X or Droid Incredible?

It's a good thing I economized this Christmas, because dh is giving me a new phone for Christmas. He didn't buy one, because he wanted to leave the choice up to me. Do I want a Droid X, or a Droid Incredible? :confused:

Or do I want to tell him no, because I think he shouldn't spend the $ ?

He'd be very disappointed...:001_unsure: Our budget will be ok either way, I'm just being very thrifty right now because we're helping ds through college.

Just realized that the mobile hotspot feature is $20 more per month *in addition* to an extra $30 per month?? Yikes. I think I'm too old (& cheap) for modern technology!
Why you need a mobile hotspot?

They're both good phones. If you need to buy right now, you can't go wrong with either one, though I'm partial to my DROID X if for no other reason than the bigger screen. :D

They're both good phones. If you need to buy right now, you can't go wrong with either one, though I'm partial to my DROID X if for no other reason than the bigger screen. :D

This is why I got the Droid X - bigger screen.

Julie, I don't know what your internet situation is in the home but we will enable the hotspot in May and will be saving $$$ because we have to pay for Verizon wireless. We used to have Dicrectv for internet and it was horrible, but we don't get high speed internet through our phone (land line) and can't get cable so our options are limited. So we pay for a Verizon wireless stick thingie. You would only need the hotspot to get internet in the home, right? If you enable hotspot, would it actually save you money overall? Or would you still need your other internet connections?

Oh, *absolutely do not need* the mobile hotspot, but thought it would be nice for the kids with their iPod Touch for when we're carpooling. :D

I decided to go for the "X". I hope I made the right decision! It's supposed to arrive tomorrow, and hopefully I can learn to use it a little bit before we leave on a trip Saturday. :auto:

:iagree: I got an X a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with it. Swyping this message from it right now. Dh got one too and we just got different cases to tel them apart. Having lots of fun with mine!!! Youtube has some great tutorials.

Oh, *absolutely do not need* the mobile hotspot, but thought it would be nice for the kids with their iPod Touch for when we're carpooling. :D
Gotcha. To be fair, the $20 for the hotspot is unlimited data (if you take the $30 data plan), and a much better deal than a WiMAX or 3g dongle.

I decided to go for the "X". I hope I made the right decision! It's supposed to arrive tomorrow, and hopefully I can learn to use it a little bit before we leave on a trip Saturday. :auto:
Woo hoo! Enjoy. :) My only unsolicited advice is not to install a task killer. They cause far more problems than they "fix."

It's a good thing I economized this Christmas, because dh is giving me a new phone for Christmas. He didn't buy one, because he wanted to leave the choice up to me. Do I want a Droid X, or a Droid Incredible? :confused:

Or do I want to tell him no, because I think he shouldn't spend the $ ?

He'd be very disappointed...:001_unsure: Our budget will be ok either way, I'm just being very thrifty right now because we're helping ds through college.

I have a Google Nexus One, which is the same as the Droid Incredible, IIRC. It is a great phone, but I have one complaint: Not enough *internal* storage space. In fact, this is my biggest complaint with most Android phones. My phone only has 512 MB available for downloaded programs and the OS. I think the Droid Incredible is the same. The problem is that now that these phones are so powerful all of the applications are getting bigger and bigger. Flash player is now 11 MB, for instance.

For this reason alone I would recommend you go with the Droid X, which has 8 GB of internal storage. That is 16X what the Droid Incredible has! Trust me, it will make a big difference if you are like me and find lots of cool applications to download.

(I bought a new Android phone for my son for Christmas and I chose one with 4 GB of internal storage for exactly the same reason!)

Gotcha. To be fair, the $20 for the hotspot is unlimited data (if you take the $30 data plan), and a much better deal than a WiMAX or 3g dongle.

Woo hoo! Enjoy. :) My only unsolicited advice is not to install a task killer. They cause far more problems than they "fix."

How do you kill all your tasks if you don't have it? What problems does it cause?

How do you kill all your tasks if you don't have it? What problems does it cause?
Automatic task killers and task killer indiscriminately used, cause problems with the way Android handles tasks and memory. Android keeps programs you've switched out of but not closed (to close most programs, press the "back" button until you've exited the app) in memory for quick subsequent startup, to run in the background (e.g. Pandora), or so you can pick up where you left off when you go back to the app. It then kills old tasks as necessary when more memory needs to be freed up. Task killers are often set by users to kill tasks set by the firmware to automatically respawn. For example, in Verizon DROID phones, Skype will always respawn. A battery draining loop can be set up in which ATK kills then the firmware respawns certain apps.

Here's what the Google Android developers have to say. Inexplicably, Verizon store representatives often throw Automatic Task Killer on Android phones.

Sometimes a task must be killed because it's running slowly or erratically, or is frozen. There is a task killer built into Android: Settings > Applications > Running Services. Tap on the app you wish to kill. Some prefer to have a task killer installed, but use it only for this purpose. If an app is frozen and you switch out, wait, and more often than not, a window will pop up asking if you wish to kill the unresponsive app. If this fails, shut down and restart. If this fails, pull the battery.