Menu

DH is kind of freaking out re: blood pressure, heart attack...

My DH's brother (early 40's) had a heart attack a few days before Christmas and is scheduled for a quadruple bypass tomorrow. He had between 60-100% blockage in 4 arteries (according to my BIL to DH, not sure exactly how accurate that is). This is his half brother from the same mother. DH's father has had 3 or 4 heart attacks, the first in his early 40's. His is still living but has had one heart attack since DH and I got together (we have been together 8 years). So DH has a *stong* family history of heart problems on both his mother's and his father's sides.

DH is late 30's and has gained quite a bit of weight since we met. He was thin and within normal weight limits when we met but now he needs to loose at least 60-75 pounds. We took his blood pressure at my mom's house yesterday and it was 167/111 and 153/99, which I realize is pretty high. The last time he went to the doctor for a check-up, maybe a year ago, he was borderline hypertensive and the doctor said then if his blood pressure continued to be high, they would start him on blood pressure meds. Oh, and he also has sleep apnea and uses a CPAP, which I know sleep apnea is not good for your heart. :(

So I would like him to go back and see the doctor, but he is already freaked out. He says his brother told him to go get a stress test. I don't know how much to push him or how much to push the doctor. I know if I call for just a physical/check-up, it will probably take months to get an appointment. Will they do an appointment just for blood pressure check and if so, are DH's number and history high enough now to warrant that?

He needs to be seen immediately. With his family history and his being overweight with elevated blood pressure, he is a heart attack waiting to happen. Push hard and don't let him brush it off. Make the appointment yourself.

Edited to say: They will not just do a blood pressure check. With his family history, they will order a stress test, an EKG and possibly an ultrasound.

Call the doctor right now and tell them what you've just told us. Be as pushy as you can and get your husband in ASAP.

:iagree:

I would want to see a doctor asap as well as a cardiologist for a complete cardiac workup.

I would want these as ordered by a doctor:

Complete Blood Count (CBC)

ACS (Blood chemistry 18)

Lipid Profile

Urinanalysis

EKG

Stress Test- probably thallium as ordered (stress tests can give a false negative result just for the record)

Maybe an echocardiogram

Blood pressure pills as ordered

Cholesterol drug such as lipitor or zocar as ordered

aspirin daily as ordered

fish oil daily as ordered

Blood pressure maintained less than or up to 120/80 as ordered

:grouphug:

Have to agree with everyone else. I become *much* more concerned with I'm told that a patient has a family history of early cardiac problems (early = under 50). Please get your dh into a doctor for a thorough check-up/exam, including a full blood work-up. Soon. As in call today for an appointment.

if you don't get seen immediately, switch doctors. SERIOUSLY. I don't want to alarm you, but this IS a heart attack or stroke just waiting to erupt, and it can erupt at any time.

I've been on high bp medications since the age of 33, and I was SKINNY then. There were FOUR relatives who had their first heart attack at age 27. My dad was the ONLY survivor. Even his sister died of congestive heart failure at age 40, after a long battle with it.

Heart disease IS genetic but there's SO much you can do to help yourself. Eating a heart healthy diet and exercise are the most important things your dh can do. If he loses weight, his bp WILL come down. In the meantime, your dh's issues are too important to try to focus on weightloss and exercise as a cure. He *NEEDS* medication to control his bp. High bp actually causes pinholes in all your arteries and he's already got at least some damage. Please treat this as an emergency and make sure he's medicated immediately.

:iagree:

I would want to see a doctor asap as well as a cardiologist for a complete cardiac workup.

I would want these as ordered by a doctor:

Complete Blood Count (CBC)

ACS (Blood chemistry 18)

Lipid Profile

Urinanalysis

EKG

Stress Test- probably thallium as ordered (stress tests can give a false negative result just for the record)

Maybe an echocardiogram

Blood pressure pills as ordered

Cholesterol drug such as lipitor or zocar as ordered

aspirin daily as ordered

fish oil daily as ordered

Blood pressure maintained less than or up to 120/80 as ordered

I agree with this 100% but I hate high cholesterol medications. They really can be dangerous. I'd MUCH prefer a heart healthy or Mediterranean diet with exercise. Start off with walking as far as he can, and increase incrementally. This will prove to be helpful without the serious side affects of medication. I'd also suggest CO-q10 and either a clove of garlic per day, raw, or garlique.

I would get an appointment as soon as possible. My dad died of a massive heart attack at age 50. He had high blood pressure and was on meds. He was not overweight and was in good shape. Heart trouble doesnt even run on my dad's side as far as I know. Heart trouble runs on my mom's side of the family really bad. She has 3 brothers that has had bypass surgery before the age of 50. One of the brothers died of a heart attack 3wks after my dad died. I had an ultrasound done on my heart after my dad died and im only 29. I would do every test possible.

My DH's brother (early 40's) had a heart attack a few days before Christmas and is scheduled for a quadruple bypass tomorrow. He had between 60-100% blockage in 4 arteries (according to my BIL to DH, not sure exactly how accurate that is). This is his half brother from the same mother. DH's father has had 3 or 4 heart attacks, the first in his early 40's. His is still living but has had one heart attack since DH and I got together (we have been together 8 years). So DH has a *stong* family history of heart problems on both his mother's and his father's sides.

DH is late 30's and has gained quite a bit of weight since we met. He was thin and within normal weight limits when we met but now he needs to loose at least 60-75 pounds. We took his blood pressure at my mom's house yesterday and it was 167/111 and 153/99, which I realize is pretty high. The last time he went to the doctor for a check-up, maybe a year ago, he was borderline hypertensive and the doctor said then if his blood pressure continued to be high, they would start him on blood pressure meds. Oh, and he also has sleep apnea and uses a CPAP, which I know sleep apnea is not good for your heart. :(

So I would like him to go back and see the doctor, but he is already freaked out. He says his brother told him to go get a stress test. I don't know how much to push him or how much to push the doctor. I know if I call for just a physical/check-up, it will probably take months to get an appointment. Will they do an appointment just for blood pressure check and if so, are DH's number and history high enough now to warrant that?

Those bp numbers are dangerously high. I would call for a same-day acute care appointment and take it from there.

Thanks for all the responses. My gut feeling was that he needed to be seen ASAP but sometimes it is nice to hear you aren't being completely paranoid, YKWIM? I did call our GP and he is out but they are getting him in to see the PA. I will look into the other suggestions as well!

Thanks again!

I agree with this 100% but I hate high cholesterol medications. They really can be dangerous. I'd MUCH prefer a heart healthy or Mediterranean diet with exercise. Start off with walking as far as he can, and increase incrementally. This will prove to be helpful without the serious side affects of medication. I'd also suggest CO-q10 and either a clove of garlic per day, raw, or garlique.

I think old time cholesterol drugs are safe such as lipitor and zocar IMHO but ask your doctor:) I honestly believe my father would be dead today if he had not been on lipitor for the past 10-12 years. I have been on zocar for several years as well. I also know many doctors who swear by them and the American Heart Association endorses their use. I am little iffy on the much newer cholesterol drugs but again ask a doctor. WebMD.com and Medscape.com have reliable info.

Thanks for all the responses. My gut feeling was that he needed to be seen ASAP but sometimes it is nice to hear you aren't being completely paranoid, YKWIM? I did call our GP and he is out but they are getting him in to see the PA.

I went through something similar with DH a few years back. He doesn't have a big family history of heart disease, but enough that I was worried. I took his bp on a Monday morning and it was insanely high. I wouldn't let him out of the house to go to work until he called his doctor. They got him in right away after hearing how high his bp, and he started taking meds that same day.

He has since made some diet/life changes and been able to wean off the meds with doctor's supervision.

Go with your gut feeling. We have instinct for a reason, you know?!