Menu

Cute furry pics to start off your Monday...

More critters:

Boonie and Obie (my bunnies - English Angora and a French Lop), Mr. Fancy Pants is a Silver Leghorn rooster, and then some of my orpington hens. I have 30 hens and 2 roosters right now. I don't have pics of the black australorps or the black sexlinks.

post-4243-13535084300391_thumb.jpg

post-4243-13535084300716_thumb.jpg

post-4243-13535084300889_thumb.jpg

post-4243-13535084301036_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tree House Academy

We need a SFPC (small fun pet content) abbreviation to put on thread titles. Like CC for Christian content. :D I clicked on this and said to myself, surely this won't be a small, fun pet -- it will be a cute, furry, puppy or a kitten. :) But no ....:auto:

I've never even heard of sugar gliders before. So, I did learn something.

RC

Terrified of small, fun pets

Edited by RoughCollie

Are sugar gliders legal and do they need large cage to glide in, dont they jump from tree to tree?

They are adorable, to they carry diseases like other rodents or are they marsupials?

Obviously know nothing about them as pets.

Each state law is different but here in Florida they are perfectly legal. Yes, they do need large cages and need alot of time out of their cage to play and bond. They love jumping and gliding around. Its amazing to watch. Nope, they dont generally carry any diseases and they are marsupials. They are awesome. I carry one around with me just about everywhere. They sleep in my pocket. Now that he is a little older and has a cage mate, I dont have to take him with me as much. I started with my first two who I rescued. They were in a tiny parakeet bird cage where they had been their whole life and never came out. Lets just say there were not happy with my company. I built them a HUGE cage and they are slowly coming around. Big improvement from the beginning. I love these little guys.

Roughcollie, dont be terrified, they are awesome...although I will admit, the crazy ones are a bit terrifying in the beginning. LOL

Oh and you cant have just one. In the wild, they live in a colony for up to 40-50 gliders. They hate being alone and its just plain cruel. :tongue_smilie:

We need a SFPC (small fun pet content) abbreviation to put on thread titles. Like CC for Christian content. :D I clicked on this and said to myself, surely this won't be a small, fun pet -- it will be a cute, furry, puppy or a kitten. :) But no ....:auto:

I've never even heard of sugar gliders before. So, I did learn something.

RC

Terrified of small, fun pets

So glad I'm not the only one. You did a great job of being PC though. Me, not so good when I get the SFPC's.

Did you say TWENTY-ONE years old???? We had a dog live to 17 and I thought that was old! 21 is just :svengo:

Yep, Sept is his birthday. He is all terrier though and never knows when to stop playing:tongue_smilie:

I did not want to post pictures of all of our pets BUT I could. I would just need many more postings for it as I had a 5 picture max per post;)

do they have an odor? Which insects do you feed them?

I've wanted one for years and after I saw your pictures I did some research. I have 40 animals between the barn and our house and I really need to be informed before I get another. My hampster and mouse died and I really miss having a small animal, and I *LOVE* the idea of one that lives 15 years! Where do you get your insects and what type do you get? Do you give it kibble along with fresh fruit and veggies?

do they have an odor? Which insects do you feed them?

I've wanted one for years and after I saw your pictures I did some research. I have 40 animals between the barn and our house and I really need to be informed before I get another. My hampster and mouse died and I really miss having a small animal, and I *LOVE* the idea of one that lives 15 years! Where do you get your insects and what type do you get? Do you give it kibble along with fresh fruit and veggies?

A really really good source of info that I frequent often is www.sugar-gliders.com I cannot say enough about Lisa and her site.

Please please please, if you get one, please atleast get two at minimum. They really need to be with their own kind. It will NOT affect their ability to bond with you. Okay, now that I got that out of the way...lets talk diet. There are several different diet plans out there but the one that I like the best is called Bourbons modified Leadbeaters diet or BML for short. You basically put your protein sources in(chicken baby food and hard boiled eggs), some juices, honey, yougurt and a few other things into a blender and blend then pour that into ice cube trays and freeze it. When it is time to feed at night, thaw one ice cube per 2 gliders and two tablespoons of fruits and two tablespoons of veggies place it in a bowl and viola...dinner. Oh, you also have to add a vitamin and special calcium supplement in there as well. Easy to get online and at most pet stores. Keep the food in over night and take the bowls out in the a.m. and your done. As far as the insects...I use mealworms and they each get about 10 a night. I order them from a company and I get like 600 for about $13.00. They ship them to your house. Im in the process of starting our own mealie farm so hopefully, I wont be ordering them very often. What ever you do, do not buy from a company or breeder that insists they dont need protein and that it will make them stink! There is a company out there that literally travels the country and sells them and they are usually ill and under-weight and die with in weeks. Oh and they DO NOT need a heat rock, that company will try to sell you that too!

They really dont stink as long as you are cleaning the cage out about 1x a week. Once a month I do a spray down where I take the cage outside and spray it off and wash the pouches and toys in the washer. They are very clean critters and like a clean cage.

They do require a large cage. I did not want to spend an arm and a leg on a big fancy metal bird cage...so...I made my own. NEVER USE CHICKEN WIRE OR UNCOATED WIRE. Its toxic and can cause urinary track infections. I got my blue prints from www.justforfuzzies.com and its step by step on how to build a huge cage yourself and it only costs around $110.00 for a very large cage.

Wow, sorry, I gave you a lot of info...hope it helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. :D

My son with our guinea pigs. DS is kind of a pet too. :D And my beautiful doggums. I refuse to show my dd this thread or she will start crying for Sugar Gliders!

Oh, my dogs want to come live at your house. They are not allowed on the furniture except when I come up stairs every morning I here three sets of paws hit the floor.:001_huh::lol::lol::lol:I gave it up for stress control.

A really really good source of info that I frequent often is www.sugar-gliders.com I cannot say enough about Lisa and her site.

Please please please, if you get one, please atleast get two at minimum. They really need to be with their own kind. It will NOT affect their ability to bond with you. Okay, now that I got that out of the way...lets talk diet. There are several different diet plans out there but the one that I like the best is called Bourbons modified Leadbeaters diet or BML for short. You basically put your protein sources in(chicken baby food and hard boiled eggs), some juices, honey, yougurt and a few other things into a blender and blend then pour that into ice cube trays and freeze it. When it is time to feed at night, thaw one ice cube per 2 gliders and two tablespoons of fruits and two tablespoons of veggies place it in a bowl and viola...dinner. Oh, you also have to add a vitamin and special calcium supplement in there as well. Easy to get online and at most pet stores. Keep the food in over night and take the bowls out in the a.m. and your done. As far as the insects...I use mealworms and they each get about 10 a night. I order them from a company and I get like 600 for about $13.00. They ship them to your house. Im in the process of starting our own mealie farm so hopefully, I wont be ordering them very often. What ever you do, do not buy from a company or breeder that insists they dont need protein and that it will make them stink! There is a company out there that literally travels the country and sells them and they are usually ill and under-weight and die with in weeks. Oh and they DO NOT need a heat rock, that company will try to sell you that too!

They really dont stink as long as you are cleaning the cage out about 1x a week. Once a month I do a spray down where I take the cage outside and spray it off and wash the pouches and toys in the washer. They are very clean critters and like a clean cage.

They do require a large cage. I did not want to spend an arm and a leg on a big fancy metal bird cage...so...I made my own. NEVER USE CHICKEN WIRE OR UNCOATED WIRE. Its toxic and can cause urinary track infections. I got my blue prints from www.justforfuzzies.com and its step by step on how to build a huge cage yourself and it only costs around $110.00 for a very large cage.

Wow, sorry, I gave you a lot of info...hope it helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. :D

wow! Thanks for the wealth of information!!!

I currently have several unused cages, most of which I think have places too large for them to crawl through. But I do have one layer of a ferret cage which could be unused. Ds15 has three ferrets, one that is nearing the end of it's life. :sad: I always wondered what I'd do with that cage as it's probably 3 - 4 feed wide and 7 feet tall!!!

Sugar babies are SO cute. Cutting and chopping good foods would be easier than tracking down kibble. We go to so many feed stores and stores in general to keep all our critters fed! I also love the idea of having the insects sent here. :001_smile:Do they eat any other kind other than meal worms?

I dont know if you saw my other post, I think we posted at the same time...I do put kibble in there but just in case they need something to hold them over until dinner, its hardly ever touched though...LOL.

I forgot to tell you...they are escape artists...the cage spaces CANNOT be over 3/4 of an inch or they WILL squeeze through. Im not sure if the ferret cage will work.

There are all kinds of bugs they will eat. I sometimes feed them crickets but the mealworms have just been easier. There is a few other worms...cant think of them off the top of my head. Some however, are deadly to them. There are some good threads on glidercentral.com and glidergossip.com