Menu

Sores in mouth -- help dr. hive!

We are just about to head out to visit our family (who we see only 3 or 4 times a year). But, my ds3 woke up with sores in his mouth. They are small, with white tops, and they hurt him. He is feeling fine besides this. I see no spots on his hands or feet.

Do you think it is hand, foot, and mouth or perhaps too many candies at Christmas?

Help! We so want to go, but we don't want to infect our family.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice... we are going to go and visit. I called my sil and she said to come. I don't think we can know for sure what it is and he doesn't have any other symptoms of HFM. I also read online that outbreaks are usually only in summer and early fall.

We are going to call them canker sores and pray for the best!

Thanks again!

Canker sores aka fever blisters.

J gets them on his lips *and* inside his mouth.

I would honestly take him to the pedi before making a decision.

I disagree based on her description.

Canker sores are ulcers...they are holes in the mouth. They start with a red bump until they ulcerate.

Edited by unsinkable

I disagree based on her description.

Canker sores are ulcers...they are holes in the mouth. They start with a red bump until they ulcerate.

And turn white. We sometimes only know J has one because he starts literally screaming when toothpaste hits them. We don't know wheather he has a high pain tolerance or due to his processing disorder he doesn't process pain until it is extreme.

Both J and my sister can have multiple cold sores at once. I will never forget when I came home after being gone at camp and my sister laying on the couch and I said to her "wipe off the chocolate off your face!" that is how bad they were.

Edited by Mom2J112903

And turn white. We sometimes only know J has one because he starts literally screaming when toothpaste hits them. We don't know wheather he has a high pain tolerance or due to his processing disorder he doesn't process pain until it is extreme.

You also said canker sores are AKA as fever blisters. IME, fever blisters are cold sores.

So we are probably talking about 2 different things. I guess it's a matter of trying to communicate without pictures. :D

my kids only get 1 canker sore at a time, so if your child has more than one sore in his mouth, I would suspect HFM. If it is a canker sore, zilantin is the best stuff. Tastes horrible but works like magic.

My DH, DS and I can, do and did :tongue_smilie: get multiple canker sores at once.

This fall, DS had clusters on both sides of his mouth so big and painful he couldn't eat or talk. Poor boy.

They sound like my canker sores. I have gotten more than one at a time and they often hurt a lot. Yes, too much sweets can cause it. Also, acidic food like tomatoes and citrus. Stress and lack of sleep too. What helps a bit is plain yogurt or drinking herbal tea. These are different from cold sores which are outside the mouth and they are not contagious.

Two weeks ago I got cold sores (or whatever they are called) in my mouth and they were really painful. A few days later my ear started hurting intensely. I got on antibiotics and it helped a little bit but it took almost a week for all of the pain to go away. I suspect it was viral.

I hope they go away soon.

We are just about to head out to visit our family (who we see only 3 or 4 times a year). But, my ds3 woke up with sores in his mouth. They are small, with white tops, and they hurt him. He is feeling fine besides this. I see no spots on his hands or feet.

Do you think it is hand, foot, and mouth or perhaps too many candies at Christmas?

Help! We so want to go, but we don't want to infect our family.

Thanks!

I wouldn't take a chance that it isn't since he just woke up with it. I would give it a few days to see if it progresses to other symptoms.

My Dd had hand, foot, mouth disease twice. Both times it started out with her just having a sore throat for the first few days. Then it progressed from there with fever and blisters on her hands. She didn't get any on her feet.

Ds#2 had gotten it once just after he turned a year old. The poor kid got nailed head to toe!!! It pretty much just hit him all at once and didn't follow the same progression as Dd did. But doctor said Ds immune system was worn out as he was still healing from chicken pox and just before that he had a bad stomach flu.

Thanks for all the advice... we are going to go and visit. I called my sil and she said to come. I don't think we can know for sure what it is and he doesn't have any other symptoms of HFM. I also read online that outbreaks are usually only in summer and early fall.

We are going to call them canker sores and pray for the best!

Thanks again!

I can't remember when Dd had it the 2nd time, but the first time she got it in February when she was almost 5yrs old. She gave it to her little brother (he had just turned a year old) and he had it beginning of March.

I hope your son is feeling better soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I've got my yearly crop of canker sores-I get them when I eat too much sweet stuff. So I'm avoiding the treats...if he's got no fever or hand\foot spots, it might just be cankers (medically they're called aphthous ulcers if you want to look it up).

:iagree:This time of year my 14yo often gets sores in his mouth. :thumbdown:

how painful! they are bad enough one at a time.

It was awful for him. I know he got them because of stress, too.

He'd "paint" this sealant/gel stuff on the sores so he could at least eat a bit without being in agony. Even trying to sip milkshakes hurt because he had to move his mouth.

Thanks for your sympathy.