Menu

MFW 1st grade

Findley2

My dd is 5 and we have been homeschooling off and on since fall. She is about halfway through the R&S abc series and we will be starting HOP and GtG in January. I also bought a Kumon workbook for numbers 1-30. Will what we are doing prepare her for MFW 1st or is there something else I should add?

I really want to help you here, and maybe someone who's done the 1st grade program will pipe in...

We're currently in MFW K. By the end of the program, my daughter should be able to write from 1-100, know all the letter sounds (but not the names), read CVC words and some sight words, some basic letter formation... Hmmm...there's more to the K program, but those are the skills I think you would need to start the 1st grade program. Those HOP K readers are about right (we use those too). MFW K phonics seems pretty comparable.

On MFW website, they have samples for the 1st grade reader... I thought someone said that 1st grade had lots of writing. I might be wrong (feel free to ignore me :tongue_smilie:).

I'm actually looking to continue with MFW 1st grade this spring.

MFWK teaches dc all the letter sound and how to read CVC words. MFWK math is calendar math. If you dc can read CVC words, can count and do very simple addition and subtraction, they will be fine.

This is probably a really dumb question, what are CVC words?:confused: My goal was to start MFW 1st in the fall, but I don't know if she will be reading well enough. It is just not clicking. She knows all her letter sounds and short and long vowel sounds. But she's not able to put the sounds together. If her readings not where it should be, would it be better to do MFW K.

My dd is 5 and we have been homeschooling off and on since fall. She is about halfway through the R&S abc series and we will be starting HOP and GtG in January. I also bought a Kumon workbook for numbers 1-30. Will what we are doing prepare her for MFW 1st or is there something else I should add?

hi :)

i have 5 year old here too :)

I LOVE kumon books a lot.

Get some EASY ADDITIONS and EASY SABTRATIONS just in case. YOu would think its hard (maybe) but i started with it with my DS5 and thought he would be stuck at +1 and +2 forever - but its been 3-4 months and we skipped half of that book and switched to 1st grade already with all that drill.

Although i would recommend to learn those addition and subtraction tricks early on. I am thinking to add some 1A singapore math. It has some neat stuff that helps them to do calculation in their heads :)

This is probably a really dumb question, what are CVC words?:confused: My goal was to start MFW 1st in the fall, but I don't know if she will be reading well enough. It is just not clicking. She knows all her letter sounds and short and long vowel sounds. But she's not able to put the sounds together. If her readings not where it should be, would it be better to do MFW K.

CVC - consonant-vowel-consonant.

hi :)

i have 5 year old here too :)

I LOVE kumon books a lot.

Get some EASY ADDITIONS and EASY SABTRATIONS just in case. YOu would think its hard (maybe) but i started with it with my DS5 and thought he would be stuck at +1 and +2 forever - but its been 3-4 months and we skipped half of that book and switched to 1st grade already with all that drill.

Although i would recommend to learn those addition and subtraction tricks early on. I am thinking to add some 1A singapore math. It has some neat stuff that helps them to do calculation in their heads :)

Thank you! I will try those. She is trying to work it out some on her own, so I think she is almost ready. We just have to get # recognition down. She gets 6 and 8 confused.

I figured out CVC words this morning and then felt so dumb.:glare: