Menu

I am so aggravated with Dragon Naturally Speaking

LizzyBee

I know my dd doesn't have perfect articulation. But Dragon keeps typing wild and crazy things that bear absolutely no resemblance to anything she said. When we turn off the microphone, the computer just keeps typing crazy stuff. Stuff about illegals and resorts, brilliant incidents, blah blah blah. When she says scratch that, it types scratch that instead of erasing - obviously, she is speaking the command clearly since Dragon typed it accurately, but it's not supposed to type it, it's supposed to erase the last thing it wrote. I think writing a letter to grandma is going to take five times as long as if she simply typed it on her own and asked us to spell every other word for her.

:001_huh:

Is it picking up a station?

That would creep me out.

ETA, looks like you aren't alone.

I bought it because it gets good reviews on amazon. Apparently, I should have checked more sources. We don't have a radio on or anything, so I don't know what it could be picking up. The software says it will type 3 times faster than a person, but I promise I can type about 100 times faster. Speak and wait, correct, speak and wait, correct...........................................................................

What a disappointment!

(((Hugs)))

I haven't tried it because of the negatives I have heard. I hadn't heard of the type you speak of, but I do know a couple of people who had continuous problems with the files becoming corrupted, so they would have to go in and re-do the whole set up for it to recognize their voice again. Come to think of it I wonder if that isn't what you are dealing with?

They said when it worked it was wonderful, but that it so often broke that most of them abandoned it.

Heather

This is beyond additional training. It keeps typing things that are truly bizarre. I turned off the mic and unplugged the cables, and it's still typing away. I am trying to take the junk out of the document, but I can't, but Dragon erased some of the the things that were supposed to be in the letter. I have never seen anything like it in all the years I've used computers.

Edited by LizzyBee

I know my dd doesn't have perfect articulation. But Dragon keeps typing wild and crazy things that bear absolutely no resemblance to anything she said...
My hubs had the same experience until the microphone-headset it came with broke. I gave him my new Logitech one to use that I bought to use for another computer -- and that fixed the problem. Hubs says it's "sweet" and I haven't heard him complain about goofy typos since.

I got the microphone-headset at Walmart. Very inexpensive. :thumbup:

My hubs had the same experience until the microphone-headset it came with broke. I gave him my new Logitech one to use that I bought to use for another computer -- and that fixed the problem. Hubs says it's "sweet" and I haven't heard him complain about goofy typos since.

I got the microphone-headset at Walmart. Very inexpensive. :thumbup:

Maybe we'll try a new headset. I mentioned that to dh earlier, but I am hesitant to keep spending money without knowing whether it's going to work.

I tried to install the software on a different computer to see if we'd have the same issues or not. I can't install it because a file on the disk is corrupt. We have 3 computers, and it's legal to install it on all of them, but we only have it on one and can't install it on the others! And if we decide to give up on it completely, I can't even re-sell it. According to the reviews on CNET, customer support is non-existent, so I am not too anxious to try to get help from the company. I am already mad, so I'm not in the mood to call customer service and get a run-around.

We have not had an experience like that. I would find that incredibly frustrating. Although Dragon is not 100% perfect, I would say it is about 90% accurate. We do not use the microphone, but use the built in one on the computer (Mac). We are using Dragon 10.

The way my ds seems to use a combination of typing/ Dragon to do his work. He seems to start speaking, types to correct mistake mad by Dragon, maybe type a sentences more since his hands are on the keyboard, then he gets stuck- either by the spelling of a word or a more complicated thought, so he speaks some, type to fix etc.... He doesn't use any of the voice commands, and turns the mic on and off with the mouse.