Menu

How do you organize digital photos?

A year ago we entered the modern era and got a digital camera. I haven't yet "organized" the photos. What do you do with them...can you tell me more

* How do you save them on your computer - folders, as is, labels...

* back them up - to what - external hard drive, disk, other - if you back them up do you compress them first or do something special?

* Do anything special so your kids have photos - print them out, make a scrapbook, make a disc for them

* If you have a digital frame - any pros or cons to your brand?

* When I look through my childhood photos or photos of my parents I sometimes don't know who some of the people are. Do you label photos - people, places, something so that the memory - not just the photo - will last?

Any other advice?

Thanks!

Here is what I do..

Use Picasa (Love it!)

When Picasa takes the images it automatically creates a folder for that album and names it whatever you have named it. You can also set it up to erase the pictures from the memory card so that you start fresh again the next time you use your camera.

So for instance when we took pictures of Christmas yesterday. I insert my SD card into my reader on the computer, the comp reads it and I choose Picasa to open it with. At this point when I create my album i will label it either the day (12/25/2010) or the event (Christmas 2010) Just depending on what I feel like at that moment. Picasa uploads the photos, wipes them from the card and viola! done.

I have been using Picasa for... thinking... 4-5 years? Oh! Picasa will also tell you what the date of the pictures are when you click on them. So if you go on vacation for an extended time you will know what date you took them, no guessing! You can also create other folders and such if needed.

Feel free to ask me questions if you like! :)

I save mine on the computer in folders, labeled first by year, month, then event.

2010-01 Slumber Party

All the year will be together because the year is first, then in order of the month.

I also have just a couple of folders by subject, one Favorite Pics (where I will sometimes copy my favorite ones that I want to print or reuse), one Kitty Pics (which I keep for my DD, not really caring about time frame.)

I use Mozy online backup for all my computer files, including music and photos.

I have folders by year, then subfolders labeled by month or by event or activity, whichever makes the most sense. This makes it easier to find a specific photo. If I want that really cute photo of dd from ds's birthday party, I just need to look at the folder with all his birthday party photos. The rest of the organization I do in Photoshop Elements, which I use for making my digital scrapbook pages. I tag each photos so I can quickly find it later when I want it. Many photos have more than one tag, perhaps tagged as the "Zoo 4/10", "animals" and the child's name who is in the photo. But that is only because I have that organizational ability with the software. It is not reasonable to do that in folders because you would get too many copies of the same photo and fill your hard drive.

* back them up - to what - external hard drive, disk, other - if you back them up do you compress them first or do something special?

I back them up to DVDs and onto an external hard drive. I don't want to lose photos if I can help it. I don't compress them. They take up space, but that is better than losing photos.

* Do anything special so your kids have photos - print them out, make a scrapbook, make a disc for them

I digitally scrapbook, so many of the photos are in albums, but far more are not. My dc can always look at the albums. Some I print and frame. My dc will often want a DVD or CD of photos from an activity or event, so I burn them one. They can they put those photos onto their computer or load them to Facebook, use them as screensavers or wallpaper, or they print them, or whatever.

I don't have one, but hopefully will some day.

* When I look through my childhood photos or photos of my parents I sometimes don't know who some of the people are. Do you label photos - people, places, something so that the memory - not just the photo - will last?

I add this info when I scrapbook. But when there is info like that to remember, I will sometimes add a Post-It note to the inside of the DVD case that has info on who, what, where, etc. that I think is important to remember. Another option is to make a Word document with the photo # and names, etc. I copy that file into the folder, DVD or CD as well so info is stored in the same place.

Any other advice?

1. You may want to look at a photo organization software, like ACDSEE and use it to organize your photos. It does what my Photoshop Elements Organizer does, allowing you to tag your photos so you can easily find them again. It is well worth it if you have a lot of photos and want them organized.

2. Please don't just keep all the photos on cds, dvds or on your computer. Be sure to print them and display them somehow so everyone can enjoy the memories. I have one friend who has a collage photo frame and she changes the photos every month or two. A digital photo frame is also a good way to enjoy your photos. I smile when I see my computer screen saver slide show because those are my favorite photos. Do something with your photos.

I too have used Picasa for several years. Using my camera software, I download my pics into my camera program, which sorts them into year/month files. I then edit via Picasa. I have thousands of photos on my computer(s), but I'm pretty lax about any real organization.

Year then month.

I blog a lot of photos, so they are automatically saved then to Picasa Web Albums. I've also backed up several years' worth there. Most of them are saved with a smaller pixel/resolution size, but the really special ones are saved with a higher res.

Blog. And every couple of years, I'll print out the very, very best ones for dh, and they go into an album.

Just did my first one for mil for Christmas.

Mm, not really, although it would be obvious if I blogged them.

Any other advice?

I wouldn't recommend my way as being effective, but it works for me!

Thanks!

I have folders for a given year. Then within that folder, I have lots of other folders. So, for example, for my 2010 folder, I'll have other folders labeled with field trips we went on, vacations we took, classes/activities the kids were involved in, visits to family's houses, specific holidays, and so on. There are "misc" folders for each kid, a folder labeled "house and yard", etc.

I also have a "5th grade work" folder for my daughter and that is broken down into still more folders per subject, so social studies project pictures will go into the social studies folder within the "Alexa 5th grade" folder... like that. It's pretty organized and makes it easy for me to find specific pictures.

P.S. I do sometimes print pictures I really like on photo paper to frame, and I always print out pics of various field trips and activities for the kids schoolyear portfolios.

Top folder is year, then within that one folder for each month, then within each month, you can break them up into event, eg:

------January 2010

------February 2010

------March 2010

------------DS Birthday

------------Spring Vacation

A great system (and lots of other digital photo tips) are available from fellow homeschooler and photographer Darcy at her Life With My 3 Boybarians blog.

I found this post useful in setting up my digital photos-the concept can apply to PCs as well as the Mac she highlights in "Mistake 4".

LWM3B Blog http://my3boybarians.com/2009/01/photos-digital-media-1/