Menu

Nookcolor, Kindle, or Sony e-reader

I am looking at getting an ereader and need some opinions from those that have had one of these for at least 3 months, or know of someone who has had one for at least that long. The reviews on the Kindle are not great, I keep reading about them freezing up. I can't find any reviews on the nookcolor, and very few on the Sony. Help! Thanks in advance :)

I am not much help here as I have never even used any of these but IF I was to buy one, I would consider which platform my library supports as that would be a great way to get free books for it. Besides ease of use, battery life, etc. I would consider how much the books costs, if you can trade/lend/borrow them, use the library, etc.

I am looking at getting an ereader and need some opinions from those that have had one of these for at least 3 months, or know of someone who has had one for at least that long. The reviews on the Kindle are not great, I keep reading about them freezing up. I can't find any reviews on the nookcolor, and very few on the Sony. Help! Thanks in advance :)

I am not much help here as I have never even used any of these but IF I was to buy one, I would consider which platform my library supports as that would be a great way to get free books for it. Besides ease of use, battery life, etc. I would consider how much the books costs, if you can trade/lend/borrow them, use the library, etc.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that!

I wouldn't go for the Nook (Don't know much about the Nook really but I don't like B&N much so I am a bit biased there).

I do know that to read books from your local (or state) library you have to have a reader that will support ePub or pdf.

I am unsure on Kindle or Sony but if I *had* to purchase one I would go with one of those.

But again, I don't like B&N so I wouldn't but from them even if the Nook was the best reader out there.

I've owned 2 kindles, I had a 2nd generation that was awesome, no freezing issues. I recently passed that one on to dh and now have the newest kindle. I had some freezing issues, but now that I've downloaded the latest update haven't had any problems at all. My oldest just got a kindle for xmas and can't wait to finish his current book so he can start reading the next in the series on his kindle. I have noticed that the e-ink display on the newer kindles seems better than the 2nd generation, more vivid, but not hard on the eyes. My library doesn't do e-books so I'm not sure about that.

I've never had a sony e-reader or a nook, but have seen the nook at B&N. It looks nice, but I choose not to buy that one because when I got my first reader the nook had just come out and I'm not fond of being the owner of 1st generation items, due to the typical bugs and things that are bound to come up.

I bought myself a Nook several months ago. I did NOT choose the Kindle because you need to e-mail PDFs to your Kindle e-mail address and it seemed to be too much work. Nook reads PDFs well. I considered the Sony, but I can't remember what I didn't like about it.

I didn't want a Nook color because reading from a backlit screen is difficult for extended periods of time.

I don't own one, but recently went through some pros and cons. I will probably end up with a kindle.

Pros for Kindle:

already use amazon a lot

They have many classics for free, which is where it will get the most use from us.

thinner

Our library does not have e-books, so no use for that option

You can download Nook and Kindle apps for PC, which I did, to see which format you like better. I liked the Kindle better.

I bought myself a Nook several months ago. I did NOT choose the Kindle because you need to e-mail PDFs to your Kindle e-mail address and it seemed to be too much work. Nook reads PDFs well. I considered the Sony, but I can't remember what I didn't like about it.

I didn't want a Nook color because reading from a backlit screen is difficult for extended periods of time.

I have a Kindle and don't email my pdf's to it. You hook it up to your computer via the included cable, then you can just drop the pdfs into the document file, easy peasy. I haven't had any freezing issues with my Kindle. It's also about half the weight of the Nook and much easier to use. My mil has a Nook color and I just can't figure out what/where to touch to get it to do things.

I have Nook color (since it first was released) and a Kindle (lastest one). I do not like the Nook. The non-glare screen does glare outside. Its operation just doesn't really make sense to me. I find it hard to navigate. It is nice for reading in the dark and for kids' books with lots of pretty pictures. I haven't been very impressed with the quality of the free books I have downloaded from a couple of sites. I haven't found anything from my public library that is even available to check out that I am the least bit interested in. The ones I would want to read are always not available?? The Kindle I absolutely adore. IT is so easy to operate. Everythign just makes logical sense. I haven't spent but a small amount on books. All my purchases have been for ds's literature. Everything else I have downloaded have been free classics and from the top 100 free. I've read some pretty good stuff from that list. Pleasant surprise!! No experience with Sony.

Editing to give freezing issues. None with Kindle. Nook has frozen once.

Edited by Lolly