Menu

what to do with a kitchenaid meat grinder attachment

I got one of these for Christmas and I'm not sure what to do with it.

I can picture myself making sausage sometime as a fun project/ experiment but I can't see myself having time to do that on any kind of a regular basis.

What else might I use this for? I do like to cook/ try new things so I am sure there is something I'd like to do with it. Just can't figure out what:001_huh:

Send it to me!!! I have wanted one of those things for ages. One of my kids is the pickiest eater, but he will eat just about anything that looks like a sausage. So I figured I could make my own sausages and put tons of veggies in there, and only good ingredients, and he'd eat it because it's in the shape of a sausage. :lol:

When I buy ground beef in the store, it is ground round or ground chuck. So when those types of roasts go on sale, I buy extra for grinding. Everyone in the family thinks whatever I make from home-ground beef tastes better, especially hamburgers. My sister bought it for me because she thinks home-ground beef is much safer to eat, and I agree with her.

I put off using my grinder attachment for a year, because I thought it was going to be a big hassle. It is not. When I do it, I grind 10 lbs. at a time. Usually I cook it and freeze the main dishes - spaghetti sauce, taco meat, chili, meatloaf, and Salisbury steak. I cook a few hamburgers and refrigerate them so my teens can heat them up for a snack. If time does not permit that, I freeze the ground beef in 1 lb. portions.

I haven't tried grinding chicken yet. Thanks to Kathy's post, I will stop putting it off.

Edited by RoughCollie

Love ours! We used it to make our own ground beef. Cheaper, tastes MUCH better, and by trimming ourselves, less fat, no chewy grissle, or bone chips! We'd do it about once every other month and freeze it in 0.5lb baggies.

Love my meat grinder attachment.

I make my own ground beef, turkey, chicken, and lamb. It is so much better then the ground meat you get in the store.

When I buy ground beef in the store, it is ground round or ground chuck. So when those types of roasts go on sale, I buy extra for grinding. Everyone in the family thinks whatever I make from home-ground beef tastes better, especially hamburgers. My sister bought it for me because she thinks home-ground beef is much safer to eat, and I agree with her.

:iagree:

I don't grind my own hamburger out of roasts, but that is a great idea! I use mine to grind up venison (deer, elk and antelope) and we then mix it with store bought beef 1/2 and 1/2 then I put it in my seal a meal.

I love my grinder.

To the person who wants to make sausage, you also have to have the sausage stuffer attachement, the grinder only grinds, doesn't stuff.

I received a lot of "cubed steak" in our last order, which is not cubed at all...it's steak that's been flattened for things like chicken-fried steak. I decided to make that into ground beef.

My favorite part is the sieve attachment that connects to the grinder (sold separately). I use the sieve to make applesauce to can (don't have to de-seed) and also to mush cooked pumpkins (takes out all the strings) for freezing.