Menu

"People treat you better if you have an education."

jld

Awesome program! I think it fosters a whole lot more than just literacy... it makes me sad, though. So many people find themselves in seemingly "no win" situations that they turn to crime.... at least a program like this can give them back a little of their pride and sense of family.

You have inspired me....I wonder if there is something like this out here in the boonies? I'll have to look around....

Thank you.

Very interesting. I often wish our patients could take literacy skills along side their anger management. If you can express yourself, maybe the need to move onto the fists would be decreased even just a little bit. A good part of my daily job is sussing out what level a person is functioning on, and trying to match my steps to that level of language comprehension. Not as easy as it sounds.

If this stuff interests you, do listen to the This American Life about doing act V of Hamlet in prison.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/218/act-v

you can play it for free. The maximum security inmate's take on Hamlet is less trite than you might suspect....

Awesome program! I think it fosters a whole lot more than just literacy... it makes me sad, though. So many people find themselves in seemingly "no win" situations that they turn to crime.... at least a program like this can give them back a little of their pride and sense of family.

You have inspired me....I wonder if there is something like this out here in the boonies? I'll have to look around....

Thank you.

You're welcome! I hear you about that no win feeling. I'm really glad this program is helping . . . but I really wish help could have been available to them a long, long time ago.

I'm also wondering if the grant will still be available next year, with the budget shortfall in NY. Maybe they'll still be able to get private funding. It certainly seems like a worthwhile program.

Let us know if you find something in your area!:)

Very interesting. I often wish our patients could take literacy skills along side their anger management. If you can express yourself, maybe the need to move onto the fists would be decreased even just a little bit. A good part of my daily job is sussing out what level a person is functioning on, and trying to match my steps to that level of language comprehension. Not as easy as it sounds.

If this stuff interests you, do listen to the This American Life about doing act V of Hamlet in prison.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/218/act-v

you can play it for free. The maximum security inmate's take on Hamlet is less trite than you might suspect....

I tried to access it, kalanamak, but it seems you have to donate first. I'm sure it's a good program; everything on public radio seems to be.

And I'll tell you, I don't know how you do the job you do. Not only do you need tons of technical knowledge, of course, as a doctor, but you have to have the knack for the psychology of the whole thing, too. I'm sure it's a gift.

And it sounds like WA doesn't have any more money than NY. Man, these are tough times we're living in.

I tried to access it, kalanamak, but it seems you have to donate first. I'm sure it's a good program; everything on public radio seems to be.

Actually, you don't have to donate first. There is a little "x" at the top right of the screen that will close the pop up page asking for a donation.

Thanks for asking this question, and for the link, K. I love This American Life.

Actually, you don't have to donate first. There is a little "x" at the top right of the screen that will close the pop up page asking for a donation.

Thanks for asking this question, and for the link, K. I love This American Life.

Yes, just close the window with the little X and then in the upper center are little icons for "listen now" or download for 99pence. I sometimes put on my favorites when I am cleaning, and just listen. Squirrel Cop is hysterical.