Menu

Okay, I'm ready for your train wreck Christmas stories!

<<i saw this thread on thanksgiving from buddhabelly and thought I would start one for christmas. So I am copying this from that thread.>>

You know, the "Uncle Ralph drank too much again and Nancy criticized my gravy and the children forgot to say please and thank you and everyone chocked it up to their being 'unsocialized."

Don't misunderstand me, I sincerely WISH each and every one of you a very happy holiday. But since things don't always turn out that way, please share here if they turn out wrong! We will laugh WITH you, not at you, and perhaps it will make things a lot better.

Robin in NJ

Well, walking past the bathroom I heard what seemed to be water running on Christmas Eve. Nope. It was a major leak in the wall that backs up to the other bath's tub. Not a small leak-water pouring and a lake on the floor. I think our floor and that wall is damaged but we're ignoring the damage assessment until tomorrow.

Our plumber couldn't do it and all the plumbing type places were closed. My husband tried but there was no stopping it so we had to shut the water to the house off. Not ideal to say the least. Oh, and I was up until almost 5 am wrapping gifts because in all the chaos (ok, I think I tightened it more...turn the water on honey...no, off!) nothing got done when it should have.

We still had a good day. A very kind contractor (and his wife) who didn't know us at all took pity on us when we called and came to replace it after their family Christmas was done.

Edited by sbgrace

I have a million stories but I will keep it tame for the faint of heart. My ds7 was given a hunting gun. The giver knew good and well we are anti gun in our house. My brother showed up with a girlfriend. The girl he has been with for 8 yrs. Was there too. My brother claimed he forgot to tell her he was breaking up with her. Also it was the first time we had been back since fil died a year ago. Dhs brother cleaned out and sold every last item of his without telling dh or offering him anything. The will stated that everything would be split evenly. Brother is claiming he forfeited his inheritance since we were out of country. He even trashed pictures and sold some of dhs items that we had been storing there.

I have a million stories but I will keep it tame for the faint of heart. My ds7 was given a hunting gun. The giver knew good and well we are anti gun in our house. My brother showed up with a girlfriend. The girl he has been with for 8 yrs. Was there too. My brother claimed he forgot to tell her he was breaking up with her. Also it was the first time we had been back since fil died a year ago. Dhs brother cleaned out and sold every last item of his without telling dh or offering him anything. The will stated that everything would be split evenly. Brother is claiming he forfeited his inheritance since we were out of country. He even trashed pictures and sold some of dhs items that we had been storing there.

:svengo:

Surprisingly, nothing except good happened on Christmas. Now, today, the day after Christmas, when the entire extended family gather at my in-laws, there should be some good fireworks (especially since oldest DS is in the process of getting a divorce and going through a mid-life crisis :nopity: which has caused him to become estranged from the family and his almost ex and our grandchildren will be there........you get the picture!)

Ds and I celebrate on Christmas Eve. I had a dinner for several grad student and zookeeper friends who could not go home. Ds goes to his dad's on Christmas Day so I had a peaceful day at home. Except for a chocolate pie that did not turn out and my dog tracking mud through the house, all was well on both days.

TODAY however, I'm getting together with the rest of my family...it will probably be interesting, so I'll let you know how it goes.

:001_huh: Wow to all of it. And that's the tame version?

Let's see. For us this year, my grandmother told me I was getting old (I'll be 30 on my birthday), ds8 got a dictionary for Christmas from his aunt and uncle (because WHAT ELSE do you get a homeschooled kid??), and my baby boy got very cute little girl socks from a cousin. I just laugh. My family really is great, about as close to a hallmark card as you can get.

My 2.5 year old oven is taking a nose dive. It will just shut off and throw out the error code F2....non specific, call for service.

Worked perfectly since Thanksgiving until this week.

We had the ham and turkey warmed up, but were bakign the rolls and new DIL"s veggie lasagna..when it started throwing thosec codes and shutting down again. Hubby went downstairs and reset teh breaker about 5 times in an hour. Each time the oven would heat back up for a few minutes and then shut off again.

Stressful, but we managed to get the lasagna done, the rolls browned and it was all delicious! Now to figure out what's wrong the oven!

Ds6 had our light up back massager (like this http://www.win-health.com/vibration-mini-massager.html), which happens to be ds1 1/2's favorite "toy". He was playing with it on the counter next to my cooling pumpkin pies. In the ensuing rivalry, ds 1 1/2 managed to dump a pumpkin pie upside down on the kitchen floor! :lol:

Other than that little issue, our Christmas has been FABULOUS.

... Also it was the first time we had been back since fil died a year ago. Dhs brother cleaned out and sold every last item of his without telling dh or offering him anything. The will stated that everything would be split evenly. Brother is claiming he forfeited his inheritance since we were out of country. He even trashed pictures and sold some of dhs items that we had been storing there.

:001_huh::blink::svengo:

I'm so sorry! That is truly terrible.

:svengo:and :eek: and for you personally :grouphug:

Krista

I was ready to run first thing in the morning. Dh hadnt yet organised putting up shade around the pool for our Boxing Day party- he had only had weeks to get that done! So on Christmas morning he realises this really needs doing, and when our friends come over for breakfast he gets them all out there putting up sails with ropes (after looking for them for half an hour)...and he is not a patient man about such things. Some choice words were spoken. Stress levels ran very high. My feelings got hurt.

Once it was all done, however, dh calmed right down and apologised and was on his best behaviour for the rest of the day. We didn't get to open presents till mid morning which was actually quite lovely. So, I am glad we got the drama out of the way first thing.

We stayed home, so no train wreck. Although my husband gave his sister what was supposed to be a quick Merry Christmas phone call and ended up getting a graphic description of her recent (and until yesterday, secret) breast-reduction surgery. She was taking some pretty strong medication, and consequently she probably went into rather more detail than she normally would. Poor husband hung up the phone looking a little wan, saying that he really, really didn't need to know that much about his sister.

All in all it was a fine Christmas, but it's nice to have a place to vent about the issues. :) Let's see...strange behavior from dh Christmas Eve, ds woke up sick at 2 AM Christmas morning and I didn't get back to sleep except for a half hour at 5AM...right when the older kids who should know better were up and making noise excited about Christmas. Since ds was sick I missed Mass. We could have split up and gone different times but dh has a back injury and doesn't move around much so I can't leave a kid who needs his mama with him (sick ds). My parents went to my brother's house so we were alone (which really is a good thing, but it does get lonely). Nobody wanted the coffee cake I made for breakfast, the squash took 3x as long to cook as it was supposed to so we didn't eat it (it was a large part of dinner!) Oh and we got a Wii Fit and I saw how much I weigh! :lol: Something that I had been praying for for months didn't happen :(... and I have some baggage about holidays so they are generally bittersweet. I think I'm missing some things, because I remember thinking many times that day, "It figures! On Christmas!"

Nothing horrible, but I still feel like a good cry and a big hug! :nopity:

Christmas evening

...we had a great Eve/Day w/ family, church, inlaws...great great great. Exhausting, though - late night Christmas Eve, early start Christmas day, cooking, presents, you all know...

So, we're walking home from IL house in the freezing cold, in the dark...planning to execute evening farm chores, whisk the kiddos to early bed, a glass of wine, and early Zzzzzz, like hopefully 8:00!.. Well,

One of our pregnant boer goats delivered...Thankfully it was routine, but the DDs had to spend hours with it, getting it dried off, cuddling, getting it (her) nursing confidently, etc...not all completely necessary, but...they're the girls' goats :tongue_smilie: and...you know...

I got to sleep at 11:00 PM:blink:

:lol::lol::lol:

My only problem was on Christmas Eve. Last year, DH's aunt's husband conspired to make sure I received a HUGE Obama watch during the White Elephant gift exchange. (DH and I are conservatives and the rest of his family are liberals-so they thought it was just hilarious. I promptly threw it in the garbage when I got home that night last year.)

So, we were going to start this year's White Elephant gift exchange, and DH's aunt's husband told me I was a total jerk for throwing the watch in the garbage last year, and I should have given it back to him. So, I asked him how nice it was for him to make sure I got it in the exchange in the first place, then told him I was really kicking myself for throwing it away. I should have auctioned it on Ebay and donated the proceeds to the Tea Party.

The highlight at my in laws was when my MIL found a spoon in the trash and yelled at the entire room of people about it. Yes, that would be me that did it. It was, of course, an accident, and yelling at me in front of the entire family will not stop the occasional accident from happening. However, rather than admitting to it, I impulsively pointed at my brother in law and said, "I saw him do it!":D

The highlight at my in laws was when my MIL found a spoon in the trash and yelled at the entire room of people about it. Yes, that would be me that did it. It was, of course, an accident, and yelling at me in front of the entire family will not stop the occasional accident from happening. However, rather than admitting to it, I impulsively pointed at my brother in law and said, "I saw him do it!":D

Did you wake up afterwards and realize that it all was one huge nightmare?:grouphug:

We had Christmas w/the extended family today. We borrowed the rec room at my grandmother's elderly housing development as it's her first year there and we've always had it at her house. We had the room (very nice, large room, btw) from 12:00-4:00. Everyone was bringing food and my mom & her sister got up early to make sure all the food they were bringing would be hot & ready for noon. 2 of my uncles, and a plethora of cousins showed up on time with the dishes they were supposed to bring. We're waiting, and waiting, and waiting for my other uncle and his wife to show up. They didn't get there until 12:50. The food they brought wasn't heated, so we had to wait another 1/2 hour before it was heated, plus all the rest of the food had to be reheated because it was getting cold by that time, and some of the stuff people brought in crockpots was over-cooked by the time we finally ate. :glare: No apologies. No explanations. No previous warnings in the umpteen million e-mails that were sent back and forth while planning this that they might be late and to go ahead and start without them. I'm sure they were at church :glare: You'd think they could skip it one lousy Sunday, or at the very least skip all the stuff they do at church after the church service for one time. Family should be more important than that -- at least once in awhile. Whatever. I guess we have completely different priorities. They held everything up. DH & I wanted to leave early (around 3:00) because we're supposed to get a major blizzard & we live 2 hours away. Because they were so late, we ended up leaving right at 4:00 when things ended and had to drive through pretty crappy weather for the last 1/2 hour of our trip. Not fun.

On the plus side, it was the first year my only cousin with children was there with his kids so my kids had cousins to play with. His son is 3 years older than my son, and his daughter is less than a year younger than my daughter. They had a great time playing together :001_smile: I grew up with tons and tons of cousins and family holidays were always so much fun. My kids don't have any first cousins, so I was overjoyed they got to have a similar experience with their second cousins.

When he denied it, did your MIL punish everyone?

:lol: Let her try!:tongue_smilie:

BIL didn't look too pleased at my false allegation so I quickly turned back to putting away food in the kitchen. My dh's family has terrible food handling practices and leaves out meat and other perishable foods all day and then eats it again in the evening. It is a food poisoning waiting to happen and makes me terribly nervous so I have appointed myself as the person who will quietly put away the food at every family gathering. They also use the hood of dh's grandmother's old Lincoln Town Car as an overflow for food when the small kitchen counters run out of space. Yesterday, when I stealthily went to examine the Town Car offerings, I found coconut pie, several other types of desserts, rolls, coffee cake, two sticks of butter and a dozen eggs.:confused: I sneaked the eggs and butter into the fridge. No wonder I was driven to distraction and tossing out flatware left and right.:tongue_smilie:

(You can't make this stuff up!)

When we got home from Christmas Eve services, we realized one of Littlest's hearing aids was missing. We stayed up for a couple of hours hunting for it before giving up and going to bed. I went to sleep thinking "All I want for Christmas is to find the hearing aid!" Thankfully DH did find it in the car the next morning, but it made for a stressful night.

Then on Christmas Day,we went to my mom's family's big dinner, which was smaller than usual with only about 35 people there. DH and I were sitting at the end of a row of long tables by ourselves near a wall, which was the best place for me in a very noisy room (I have severe-profound hearing loss and it is almost impossible for me to communicate orally if there is any background noise). Mom kept trying to get me to join a group at another table to "visit". :P I know she meant well but there was no way I was going to be able to follow that conversation in such a large group. It's not like I was being unsocial, I had talked with several people one-or-two-on-one when everyone was still standing and mingling, but once every sat down to eat, I was ready for a rest. I wish she realized how hard it is for me to even go to such gatherings.

My "train wreck" happened last year and the offending aunt wasn't there this year, so by comparison, this year went pretty well.

Friend and MIL came over for Christmas dinner. MIL has dementia that is progressing rapidly. She was trying to eat her meal with her knife. Finally DH suggested she try the fork. She bought the girls pillow pals and gave them to them about a month ago. Zoie LOVES her sooo much that that is what she wanted to get me for Christmas. MIL appeared rather ticked that I had one.

Oh and we couldn't find 2 of MIL gifts that I KNOW are in this house somewhere. And DH had NO ideas what to give her in her stocking. So....she had 1 t-shirt to open. And our family is BIG on gifts. We weren't sure if she was even aware of it, but even still, we felt like whale dung. So, while the day wasn't a horrendous flop, it sure wasn't Norman Rockwell. Not even close.

The day started out great, the kids got a wii and played it all day. We didn't get each other presents this year as we spent a lot on the wii and I was hoping to get paid for some work I did but won't get it until January. Then my dh decided it was the perfect time to clean out the garage so I was sitting around by myself all day. My mom has three weeks of vacation but isn't coming until tomorrow and only staying three nights. She didn't even call on Christmas. I usually call her every week but would like it if she called me once in a while. Neither did my mil who I know got the photo book I spent hours making her, and dh was in the garage all day so didn't call them. Christmas dinner was ham, mashed potatoes and biscuits because the kids don't like anything exotic and I didn't see a point in cooking anything else. When I called people for dinner no one answered and it was all set on the table so I went and took a nap until they noticed it. Then I started feeling so sorry for myself I cried half way through dinner, then ds5 started crying because he wanted to go play the wii some more. Then today dh said we probably shouldn't buy the tv I wanted in January when I get paid which is probably the right choice but I didn't get anything for my birthday either and I am just feeling so sad. Also, they were out of the flavor of Mike's I like at the store so I got some Cranberry and Lime Smirnoff which is disgusting. Sorry this turned into a big whine fest but I am trying not to ruin the holidays for everyone else so I'll just get it off my chest here and hopefully feel better.

We were supposed to go away on Christmas morning but we had to cancel it due to all of us being sick :( (thankfully it's just colds/etc ) Xmas Eve was fine except for my MIL who likes to "parent" my children while she's at my house.

I'm not sure if this has been posted before or not but I thought it was in keeping with the theme of this thread. It's a letter written to family/friends on what exactly to bring for their Thanksgiving dinner.

http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/2009/11/26/awkward-family-story-the-thanksgiving-letter/

We visited my in-laws, who live out of state, for Christmas. We weren't there an hour before my MIL asked me why my children weren't in school yet (this is our eight year HSing for goodness sakes!) and, before I could even reply, she cut me off and said, "You know, if you would just put them all in school already you could go to college full-time and have a job by now!" Um, newsflash Sherlock. I have been a full-time student for the past two years.

She followed that up by criticizing our 2yo's name, insisting that she will continue to call him by another name altogether, and then saying that maybe if I had given him a better name he wouldn't be such a sissy! She proceeded to sneak up on him, chase him, and give his siblings treats while turning him away for the next three days. And she wonders why he cries when she enters a room.

For Christmas, my MIL gifted my dh an expensive set of DVDs (war-themed, completely his gift, not a 'couples' gift). I got a cookbook the size of an index card that she had received free in the mail (it still had the plastic wrap and address label affixed), an address book that she received free at Hallmark (she told me herself), and a pair of cheap slippers that I assume are re-gifts since I wear a size 6 and these are a size L-XL. Thanks a lot!

This morning at breakfast she commented that I was far too thin and that I looked sick and anorexic. I have not lost any weight. I have weighed the same amount for the entire duration of our marriage, save for pregnancy.

Not exactly a train wreck, but after two packed days of family/gifts and Christmas goodness, my DD had a classic melt down when she realized Christmas was over.

Said with an earnest quiver in her voice and on the verge of tears and I quote "Mom, Dad, I don't think you realize that the sadness at the end of Christmas outweighs the joy. I don't think we should even do Christmas next year. Because it is sooo sad. I don't think you realize it outweighs the joy of the whole Christmas season. I don't even want gifts, because then I know that Christmas is OVER." Luckily we didn't laugh at the dramatic language and put one sad tired little girl to bed.

We went to MIL's house on Christmas Day at around 6pm. We had just come from my mom's house and I wasn't feeling that well. Since MIL lives right across the street, I sent dh and the kids over while I went home for a bit. I went upstairs, threw up, lied down for about 15 minutes, and decided I felt well enough to go over there.

Dh had already given out the gifts. I spent a lot of time choosing a gift for MIL and dh's aunt. I got MIL a Keurig coffee pot and his aunt a beautiful pair of earrings and a necklace.

I was there from about 6:45 to around 10pm. Neither one of them said thank you or even acknowledged their gifts. at. all. :glare:

Dh said his mom like the coffeepot (not thrilled, but whatever - and that thing isn't cheap), but the aunt never said a word to him either. I should have stayed home.

When we got home from Christmas Eve services, we realized one of Littlest's hearing aids was missing. We stayed up for a couple of hours hunting for it before giving up and going to bed. I went to sleep thinking "All I want for Christmas is to find the hearing aid!" Thankfully DH did find it in the car the next morning, but it made for a stressful night.

Then on Christmas Day,we went to my mom's family's big dinner, which was smaller than usual with only about 35 people there. DH and I were sitting at the end of a row of long tables by ourselves near a wall, which was the best place for me in a very noisy room (I have severe-profound hearing loss and it is almost impossible for me to communicate orally if there is any background noise). Mom kept trying to get me to join a group at another table to "visit". :P I know she meant well but there was no way I was going to be able to follow that conversation in such a large group. It's not like I was being unsocial, I had talked with several people one-or-two-on-one when everyone was still standing and mingling, but once every sat down to eat, I was ready for a rest. I wish she realized how hard it is for me to even go to such gatherings.

My "train wreck" happened last year and the offending aunt wasn't there this year, so by comparison, this year went pretty well.

:sad::sad::grouphug:

The day started out great, the kids got a wii and played it all day. We didn't get each other presents this year as we spent a lot on the wii and I was hoping to get paid for some work I did but won't get it until January. Then my dh decided it was the perfect time to clean out the garage so I was sitting around by myself all day. My mom has three weeks of vacation but isn't coming until tomorrow and only staying three nights. She didn't even call on Christmas. I usually call her every week but would like it if she called me once in a while. Neither did my mil who I know got the photo book I spent hours making her, and dh was in the garage all day so didn't call them. Christmas dinner was ham, mashed potatoes and biscuits because the kids don't like anything exotic and I didn't see a point in cooking anything else. When I called people for dinner no one answered and it was all set on the table so I went and took a nap until they noticed it. Then I started feeling so sorry for myself I cried half way through dinner, then ds5 started crying because he wanted to go play the wii some more. Then today dh said we probably shouldn't buy the tv I wanted in January when I get paid which is probably the right choice but I didn't get anything for my birthday either and I am just feeling so sad. Also, they were out of the flavor of Mike's I like at the store so I got some Cranberry and Lime Smirnoff which is disgusting. Sorry this turned into a big whine fest but I am trying not to ruin the holidays for everyone else so I'll just get it off my chest here and hopefully feel better.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:I would be sad, too. I think you should sit down with your dh and tell him how you felt on Christmas. He needs to know that not getting gifts was ok, it was agred on, but not spending the day together wasn't the right thing to do on a holiday. If gifts really speak to your heart, even if he only put away one dollar per paycheck he could get something special for you next year.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Dh had already given out the gifts. I spent a lot of time choosing a gift for MIL and dh's aunt. I got MIL a Keurig coffee pot and his aunt a beautiful pair of earrings and a necklace.

I was there from about 6:45 to around 10pm. Neither one of them said thank you or even acknowledged their gifts. at. all. :glare:

Dh said his mom like the coffeepot (not thrilled, but whatever - and that thing isn't cheap), but the aunt never said a word to him either. I should have stayed home.

Sorry :grouphug: You should take back the presents and send them to me. I will be properly and enthusiastically grateful :D

I spent hours crocheting a scarf for dh's aunt, and she never said a word about it either :001_huh: Maybe she figured if she couldn't say anything nice she wouldn't say anything at all.

Mine wasn't a 'train wreck' but a funny gaffe, none the less!

My sister-in-law hosted the family Christmas party. It was nice and the kids had a great time with their presents, but....my SIL served prime rib and asparagus for the Christmas dinner. :001_huh:

My kids were fine with it, but we had 4 grandkids there between the ages of 2 and 4. Not a chicken nugget, macaroni & cheese dish, or hot dog in sight.

Who invites a houseful of kids to Christmas dinner and serves asparagus?? :lol:

My FIL is gravely ill, with damaged lungs from cancer treatment, a heart condition, and a serious blood disorder.

This morning, StepMIL had him up on a stepstool trying to hammer in a nail, because last night when I bathed the kids I disarranged the decorative shower curtain I wasn't supposed to touch. She was so upset that it had to be fixed immediately, before my husband got up. I mean, that thing was INCHES from where it was supposed to be.

Right now FIL and DH are in the kitchen arguing about whether FIL will call his doctor about some unexplained bleeding, or whether he should just ignore it.

Also I am trying to keep StepMIL from finding out that my toddler is still nursing, because I just don't want to deal with her needling.

EK was asked nearly a year ago to be a bridesmaid in the wedding of a lifelong friend. She said yes, and then the bride-to-be set the wedding date for 1/1/11, with the rehearsal on 12/31/10, New Year's Eve--the standing date for MIL & FIL's Christmas gathering for the entire family. So we told everyone very early on (last January) that we'd need to reschedule the Christmas gathering, which has only been done once in the past, but without much trouble. HOWEVER, this year was different. :glare:

Everybody's schedule was so tight that we could not find a date when we could all be together, although EVERYONE had New Year's Eve free except us! We even offered to have EK skip the wedding rehearsal and just go on with the usual New Year's Eve date. Then SIL, who really likes attention and is very manipulative, announced that her family can ONLY come on a Saturday. (She has a chronic medical condition and has to have treatments twice a week at a health center, and can only function on the day after a treatment.) But BIL said he couldn't come on ANY Saturday, so there went that. But no, it turned out that SIL actually had 2 Fridays she could be there (because of changes to her treatment schedule because of Christmas Eve & New Year's Eve falling on the days she normally gets treatments), and 2 Saturdays. But the 2 Fridays were dates when other people already had something. Then SIL said she isn't sure she can be there at all, so we should just go ahead, and she'd be there if she felt up to it. So we finally settled on the evening of Christmas Day.

On Christmas Day, everyone arrives except SIL and one of her children, who has elected (or been elected) stay home with her while her dh brings the remaining children to the party. Her dh is miserable, knowing SIL is missing out. We offer to move the party to SIL's house so she won't be alone, but her dh says no, she's not up to it. (FWIW, they have a tiny house, and 20 people just wouldn't fit. We did offer to have a few of us go over to visit at a time, but her dh said no.) Just as we're about to open presents, SIL calls him and he gets so upset that he starts crying and goes back home (they live across town from MIL & FIL) to check on her. So we suspend the gift exchange until we figure out what's going on. Finally, he comes back, also bringing the child who had been left home with SIL, leaving SIL home alone. The gift exchange resumes. We (dh & ER & EK & I) offer to go by SIL's house afterward, to give her the gift we brought for her, but her dh says no, that wouldn't be a good idea because SIL isn't feeling well. It's starting to snow anyway, and we have an hour's drive, so we head home. Next morning, dh tries to call SIL & her dh. SIL hangs up on him. Dh did talk to him later, but found out that SIL is angry with everyone in the family! What??? Her dh took her the presents we'd all bought for her, but she tossed them aside unopened. She ranted about us all being unsupportive, and how we only care when it's convenient, or when we feel guilty. What did she want us to do? She has "unfriended" ALL of us on Facebook, which is stupid, because we are the only family she has (she has no siblings; her mom died several years ago & her dad is also in poor health & lives far away, as do her aunts, uncles & cousins), and with her health situation, she is going to need us sometime...

Edited by ereks mom

My Christmas went smashingly except for one tense moment when my mil and bil (who live together) arrived. This all started over the summer when we started discussing where to spend the holidays. It was decided that Thanksgiving would be at my mil and bil's and Christmas would be at my house. There was evidently a bit of a grumble about bil not really wanting to come to our house because we don't have a t.v. in our living room for our guests to enjoy. Well my dh and I don't want a t.v. in our living room. I for one don't want cable because I really don't want my children to see commercials and we really just limit those types of things for our family. I know we are weird for that but I homeschool so that has pretty much armored me up for dealing with people who think I am a wackadoo. In fact my own father told me he thinks I am doing a terrible job raising my children because they aren't in school. (My response to that comment btw was decidedly non Christian but made it clear that is opinion was not needed)

So anywho my fil decided to gift us with a massive (to us anyway) t.v. that he didn't want anymore. We put it in our bedroom. Fast forward to Christmas and my mil inquires to where this t.v. is. She didn't give it to us btw. They have been divorced for like 30 years. My husband told her it was in our room and she said, "Well now you still don't have a way to entertain your guests." I overheard this from the kitchen where I was doing dishes and promptly cut in that we expect our guests to be able to converse with each other like adults without the aid of a mindless television program droning in the background and I am trying to raise children who can eat in a restaurant without the aid of a portable dvd player and if I freaking wanted a t.v. in my living room I would freaking buy one. Perhaps that was a bit harsh but I like to nip these things in the bud. Now don't get me wrong, I absolutly love my mil to pieces but I just thought her comment was a bit rude and uncalled for and if I kept my mouth shut (like a better person probably would have) I would have had to hear about what terrible hosts we are for ever . Shortly after that I called my dh into the kitchen to start making popcorn for peppermint chocolate popcorn nummies and asked my mil to start slicing things for the relish tray and balance was restored. We snacked and chatted and had a lovely time for the rest of Christmas.

Shortly after that I called my dh into the kitchen to start making popcorn for peppermint chocolate popcorn nummies and asked my mil to start slicing things for the relish tray and balance was restored. We snacked and chatted and had a lovely time for the rest of Christmas.

I'm sorry you had to deal with your drama, and I don't mean to be insensitive. But my goodness!! Peppermint chocolate popcorn nummies?!?! Could you be persuaded to post a recipe? Pretty please! That sounds amazing!

Mine wasn't a 'train wreck' but a funny gaffe, none the less!

My sister-in-law hosted the family Christmas party. It was nice and the kids had a great time with their presents, but....my SIL served prime rib and asparagus for the Christmas dinner. :001_huh:

My kids were fine with it, but we had 4 grandkids there between the ages of 2 and 4. Not a chicken nugget, macaroni & cheese dish, or hot dog in sight.

Who invites a houseful of kids to Christmas dinner and serves asparagus?? :lol:

Me! We had beef tenderloin and asparagus for Christmas dinner and the kids LOVED it. That doesn't seem like a gaffe at all. I can't imagine serving nuggets, mac n cheese or hot dogs at Christmas dinner. I don't want to seem snarky, as our diets are far from perfect, but it seems like her expectations were normal and perhaps your grandkids' diets need a shift.

A few years ago I had a dinner party and the children had to be entertained with a children's movie. After a while the conversation became less and less until all the adults were watching "Finding Nemo", we eventually moved to the living room and all watched the movie. The evening was fun but as soon as I could, I bought a tv for the basement and put the living room tv into a cabinet with doors that shut!

Lara

Me! We had beef tenderloin and asparagus for Christmas dinner and the kids LOVED it. That doesn't seem like a gaffe at all. I can't imagine serving nuggets, mac n cheese or hot dogs at Christmas dinner. I don't want to seem snarky, as our diets are far from perfect, but it seems like her expectations were normal and perhaps your grandkids' diets need a shift.

We've never had chicken nuggets, hot dogs or mac & cheese at our Christmas dinner either.

Beef tenderloin, creamed spinach, broccoli casserole, tomato aspic, homemade rolls, and mashed potatoes... <sigh> We didn't get to my Mom's for Christmas this year. Sure hope there are tenderloin leftovers when we head there tomorrow!

:grouphug: That stinks. You need a hug. :)