Menu

Questioning everyday heroism.......

After last night I have begun to question a few things...and I'm going to try and get this out there.

I told dh this morning that one of my biggest regrets from last night is that I don't know if I will be so quick to run in and help someone again. Sitting here thinking about what my family could have lost last night is heart wrenching. I know that sounds selfish, but I just don't know...

Then I think of the potential accidents dh and I's presence may have averted last night. Yes, it was wet and dangerous...but our added presence was able to alert many other drivers...drivers with kids in their cars... that there was a wrecked car ahead.

Sometimes I beat myself up for stopping..."how could I be so reckless?!" and then I think..."how could I not?!" I'm trained to treat injuries. When the driver was disoriented and trying to undo her seatbelt, so she could reach her phone...I stopped her. If I hadn't been there, when the other car hit she would have been launched out of her car.

I don't know. Dh was sweet, and said, "Honey, it's who you are. You will run in again and again."

I guess I'm wondering is it worth it to be a good samaritan?

I guess I'm wondering is it worth it to be a good samaritan?

IMO yes it really is.

There will be times when you will simply not be able to help, there is no way to safely do so. But when you are presented with a situation and your gut tells you to help someone it is always worth it, and as you found last night you will be protected while doing so.

It's never wrong to do the right thing. However, I think there are some cautions that run through my head.

1. You are trained on what to do in an emergency, much different than the person out of their car running around in a panic. You were not creating more chaos, you were helping. IOW, am I helping or hindering?

2. Did you have someone there to guard your back? Obviously you did, dh was there. If I had been alone with little kids I might not have gotten out of the car. Which leads to another issue, are my children trained to stay in the car no matter what?

I don't know, it's not cut and dry. I think there are people who respond quickly in emergency situations, either by training or instinct. I think there are others who can sort of keep the peace without being directly involved.

I used to work for a veterinarian. I knew exactly what to do when an animal came in needing emergency care. There was no second thought, no panic, it was automatic mode. I can still react that way if I see an animal needing emergency help. People, it's not easy for me. So I'm thankful there are people like you. I am thankful you are all right today. I had a brief moment of anxiety myself when I realized how awful it would be for your dh and your precious children had last night had a different result. :grouphug:

:iagree: We are put on this earth to help others and we hope that others will help us when we need it. Your husband is right, if it is who you are, then you will do it again because you love people and want to help them. Bad things can happen even when we are not helping others, and as you said your presence may have saved that woman's life since you kept her buckled up for a few seconds longer.

It is certainly a great question and something to ponder. God has a habit of growing us through these situations.

Thanks everyone! I think I was just going thru the panic phase of what could have happened.

There have been times when I haven't been able to respond. This wasn't one of those.

I'm pretty sure I did the right thing, and I am thankful that I am okay. My heart goes out to all those "good samaritans" who have lost there lives. To the State Patrols...I never realized how quick it all could happen, and how small you feel with a car barreling down on you. :D

I know the sorts of what ifs that you're trying to work through. I stopped years ago at a car fire. There were about four of us who were trying to get the driver out. We failed.

I think that there are people who keep driving and people who stop. My family tends to be people who stop. We have generations of fire fighters and EMTs on both sides and the presumption is just that we have something to offer. Skills, tools, whatever.

FWIW, my dh was at the Pentagon on September 11th. After he got his office evacuated, he went back to the central courtyard and worked with the medical staff to do triage and first aide. He also went with a couple other people to try to get to a couple spaces from an exterior passageway. That is just the sort of person he is. And I love him deeply for it, even though there will probably be a time when it doesn't end well.

DH said something to me the other day. I was appologizing for having gotten so worked up about some shoplifting I'd seen at Walmart the day before. He said that he didn't think it was unreasonable to be upset when you saw a breakdown in the general order and want it to be put right.

I think this applies to your situation too. When you see somone in need of help and know you can provide succor, you feel compelled by your sense of rightness to lend help.

Thank you for being one of those people instead of the kind of person who just keeps driving.

But when you think through this, you could fall down a set of stairs at any time and die; there are tons of simple, everyday things that we do that can and sometimes do end in freak accidental deaths. We have to trust that God is with us and will protect us for as long as the time span of our intended life. When it's time for us to go, then He will be there to receive us, too. But until that time, which we cannot hope to know, He will guard our safety, no matter what we're doing.

I mean, I don't think that first responders - even though they do sometimes die in the line of duty - are courting death. I don't think they do what they do to challenge death. Maybe some do, but I would think that most have a higher respect for life because of what they do.

I think the kinds of people who are drawn to do this work long-term have a destiny that has been in the making for much of their lives. It's part of who they are and what drives them to go through all the training for the work they do. So it may be ordained that they will die in the line of duty in their chosen profession. And some of them may even have a sense of when that time is coming.

I think that for those of us who respond as good Samaritans in the moment, God is with us and directing us in that and will be with us through the ordeal. I guess that as I get older I tend to think that whether or not we lose our physical life as part of that is less consequential to a God who sees the big picture of our eternal lives than it might be for us....

I believe that you were there at the exact moment you should have been. You saved that person's life and your life was miraculously preserved. Blessings to you and your family~

It is the kind of person you are...if you hadn't stopped, if you hadn't helped...how would that feel?

I understand second-guessing...this is just who you are.:grouphug:

Interesting timing for this question. I have not read the other responses yet, but wanted to reply. Last night as my dh was driving home in a blizzard he stopped 8 times to help motorists. I was torn between feeling proud of him vs feeling angry. Often, there was a senior citizen stuck in the snow and he would rally other men to come help push the car out. On that same note, I know of a homeschooling father who recently died helping a motorist. I think it just depends on the circumstances.

I told him this morning before he left.....be safe, stop to help someone if you need to, and I love you. Sometimes it's necessary to stop because there is just no other help on the way.