Menu

Snap Circuits Rock!

Snap Circuits were a surprise hit here :thumbup:. We decided to get them since I read such raves here at the Hive. Our son didn't know what they were and now he's had a blast with them all day. Thanks for the recommendation.

I must admit, the biggest hit of the day was the $1 stocking stuffer of, ahem, "Flarp-Noise Putty". Invariably, someone will reach for a cookie on the coffee table only to be met with a "pppffftt" noise from across the room :tongue_smilie:. We're a pretty classy family:D.

I got them for one of my sons as well- getting the "heads up" here.

Tremendous hit!

Want to go back and reread those threads to see what I other items were hits- I think Legos was a big one.

I got Snap Circuits Jr. for my eight year old. Played with it ALL. DAY.

Rebecca

Just FYI, some children might try to take apart their completed projects by yanking on the components themselves (resistors, etc.) rather than lifting the plastic bases. If they do this, the components will break off. The manual mentions this, but certain small boys tend to ignore these kinds of warnings in their enthusiasm to get to the next project. :glare:

DS5's Christmas wish list this year consisted largely of replacement parts.

So, are these mostly for younger kids? I have a son turning 13.

My dd is 13 and she still enjoys them. In fact I got the "Green" expansion set for her for Christmas and she (and her younger sisters) were excited. It doesn't come out as often as it did when she was younger, but I think that is more a matter of her doing most of the experiments multiple times already than her being too old.

We got my older ds the big Student Training kit in the case for his birthday a couple of weeks before Christmas. He had a smaller kit before. This is so fun, and we are looking forward to using the student guide as a science curriculum next week. My younger ds turns 6 in January and is wanting his own set, I think we will get him the Rover. So fun for an educational toy!

Just FYI, some children might try to take apart their completed projects by yanking on the components themselves (resistors, etc.) rather than lifting the plastic bases. If they do this, the components will break off. The manual mentions this, but certain small boys tend to ignore these kinds of warnings in their enthusiasm to get to the next project. :glare:

DS5's Christmas wish list this year consisted largely of replacement parts.

I was wondering along these lines. DD has a traditional electronics kit for 10+ year olds (she's 4.5) which she loves but obviously it's too fiddly for her to use without help. Snap circuits sounds like fun but..........she really likes to see the way the wires actually connect and I can see her pulling components out on purpose or getting frustrated that she can't clearly see the connections.

Edited by Greenmama2