Menu

My Christmas present to myself is....

Poke Salad Annie

Your post reminded me that I bought a bunch of SWB's lectures when they were on sale, and I haven't listened to all of them yet. :tongue_smilie: I am cooking this afternoon, but maybe I can listen to some of them tomorrow. We probably won't have church since it's supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow, and everything gets cancelled when it snows here.

spending some time with a cup of hot chocolate and SWB's lectures on science, writing, and the joy of classical education. I'll probably add in a touch of Well Trained Mind reading for a bit more focus. I'd love to be ready and refreshed when we start back in the new year.

Merry Christmas!!

After the girls opened their presents this morning, they were happily playing. My husband was happily drinking coffee.

So I took a little break to stretch out on my bed... and read "Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics." My husband came in and caught me red-handed. :blush:

He says, "Only you would read that book on Christmas Day." :lol:

To MIch elle: That science books looks intriguing. Have you started reading it yet?

I like that it starts with all the Greek and Latin roots in sections for biology, chemistry and physics. My dh and I also went through the section on the acronyms/appreviations section to see if we (both science degrees) knew them all. I didn't know canola was an acronym for CANada Oil Low Acid. The reading and writing chapters are spot on (chapters 2 & 3).

It's a large book and will take me sometime to get through. My library system didn't have it, so knowing how much I've liked other Jossey-Bass Teacher books, I ordered it. So far it looks to be well worth the $21.

MIch elle - thank you! I looked at the online samples and it looks good. I hate ordering w/out a library preview but my system didn't have it. I was a scientist but often think, I know how to do science but do I know how to teach science lol.

WOOOOOOHOOOOO! Dh got me an Ipod Nano for Christmas! I am no longer tied to the computer or the car for listening to my SWB MP3s and I can start getting some books on audio! I had an ipod shuffle but you can't select what you want to listen to. Dh has an ipod for several years, has all his music digitized on it and uses it in his car but until now, I never needed one.