Menu

Does anyone reuse gift bags over and over again?

Not only do we use the same bags, but we use them for the same purpose. I have a red gift bag with an angel on it that has a tag that says "To: 'Boo' From: Santa". Every year since my daughter was born, I have given that bag to her with her Christmas Eve pajamas and her annual ornament the night before Christmas.

She has yet to realize it's the same bag (or for that matter, that it's mommy's handwriting). :lol:

Not just bags but bows, tissue paper and shirt boxes.

Every year after Christmas I smooth and flatten everything down and store it for the next year. I usually 'retire' anything too ratty and add a few 'fresh' items each year.

Now the paper changes each year. We pick 'themes' for each year. This year is black and white. The tree and all the gifts look beautiful and classy.

I reuse them, too. My mother-in-law and I used to have one that we gave each other back and forth. One year I'd give her a gift in it, and then I'd get it back the next. It got torn up when she moved from one house to another, and we haven't restarted the tradition yet. It'd be fun, though.

We (I) reuse them here. This year, though, DH wrapped gifts. I usually pull the bags with names already on them and try to match them up with the gifts. Not him, He took a sharpie and scribbled out the previous names and wrote new ones on the bags. They look rather tacky, but I'm still keeping them!

I know that we reuse them several times but I didn't realize how much we reuse them until we found a bag that said "To Philip From Grandma" on it..........and he was a foster child we had as an infant who is now 13 years old. Guess we are frugal.

Yes, we've reused gift bags b/t family members for about 10 years, and I don't see anything wrong with it. We have a large extended family on my side and we used to draw names for adult couples and buy for the kids. But, that was still hard for some of us when there were 12 or more kids to buy for. We have since stopped even drawing names and really just buy for our "own" kids. I still reuse gift bags when I can.

Regarding birthdays....I know that my dd "inherited" a pre-owned bag with her gift in it. As long as it's not falling apart and in decent shape, I'm totally fine with this.

That makes us frugal too. ;)

As long as they look nice, still. I try to use new ones for gifts that leave the house... for others... That way I don't give them the bag they gave to us!

I LOVE the idea of a color theme for wrapping paper. Today I was admiring mil's gifts. She buys the loveliest paper and bows and they look simply gorgeous! Maybe someday...

Oh yes, boxes, bows, bags, ribbon, tissue paper........Definitely! :D In fact I was wrapping some stuff yesterday and found a little box that has dd's name on it that I was able to use for her again. I think I got a little package of boxes on an after-Christmas sale 7, or maybe 8, years ago (after we moved to this house), and we're still using them. As a PP said, I flatten things out and put them in a bin to put with the Christmas stuff 'til the next year.

We also have birthday and just "general" gift bags and tissue paper that we can use as needed.