Menu

So anyone else feeling unmotivated with tons to do still for Christmas?

Not like I saved everything for the last minute or anything... This is what I *plan* on doing today. I know fully well it won't happen! :lol:

1) Bake and frost 5 dozen cutout sugar cookies, making sure it is a festive and fun activity for the girls

2) Make stollen, even though I know I'm the only one who eats it.

3) Make stock for tomorrow's turkey gravy.

4) Prepare the stuffing for tomorrow's turkey dinner.

5) Watch It's a Wonderful Life in black a white -- no color version allowed.

6) Take a long bubble bath.

7) Wrap stocking stuffers for the girls' stockings.

8) Clean the house so I'm not embarrassed when Santa Claus comes (who we've now established is a Time Lord...perhaps he wouldn't mind if it was dirty, though)

9) Make overnight cinnamon rolls for tomorrow's breakfast.

10) Make a quiche for tomorrow's breakfast.

11) Make pizza dough for tonight's traditional Friday night pizza -- even though it's Christmas Eve, that tradition stands.

12) Make the homemade salsa I promised DH.

13) Figure out how I can make the refrigerator bigger on the inside to hold all of this stuff I'm making for tomorrow.

14) Somehow spend meaningful time with the girls and DH while keeping a smile on my face.

All before 7:00 so that we can go to Christmas Eve service. I guess it's time to get off of the Board and wish you all a Very Merry Christmas!!!!!

Well, with all that to do, I guess you won't be back to see this, but I think you should have yourself a merry little Christmas and give yourself a break from some of those things. The house need not be clean and unless you're dying for the stollen, you could easily nix that.

Must 5 dozen cookies be made?

Must stuffing and stock be from scratch?

Must stocking stuffers be wrapped? if so, must they be formally "wrapped"? or would pretty tissue formed around them and tied at the top with a ribbon just before they're tucked into the stocking do?

I do hope you can have a happy and restful holiday!

Not like I saved everything for the last minute or anything... This is what I *plan* on doing today. I know fully well it won't happen! :lol:

1) Bake and frost 5 dozen cutout sugar cookies, making sure it is a festive and fun activity for the girls 2 dozen or just frost some.

2) Make stollen, even though I know I'm the only one who eats it. Skip it.

3) Make stock for tomorrow's turkey gravy. Buy good stock.

4) Prepare the stuffing for tomorrow's turkey dinner. How much do you all enjoy stuffing? Or can you skip it?

5) Watch It's a Wonderful Life in black a white -- no color version allowed. YES

6) Take a long bubble bath. YES

7) Wrap stocking stuffers for the girls' stockings. Don't wrap.

8) Clean the house so I'm not embarrassed when Santa Claus comes (who we've now established is a Time Lord...perhaps he wouldn't mind if it was dirty, though) NO

9) Make overnight cinnamon rolls for tomorrow's breakfast. Buy

10) Make a quiche for tomorrow's breakfast. Buy

11) Make pizza dough for tonight's traditional Friday night pizza -- even though it's Christmas Eve, that tradition stands. Order in

12) Make the homemade salsa I promised DH. yes

13) Figure out how I can make the refrigerator bigger on the inside to hold all of this stuff I'm making for tomorrow. Really?

14) Somehow spend meaningful time with the girls and DH while keeping a smile on my face. Relax!!!

All before 7:00 so that we can go to Christmas Eve service. I guess it's time to get off of the Board and wish you all a Very Merry Christmas!!!!!

Well, I know how you feel, BTDT. This is what I would do (red, above).

Edited by Alessandra

I will gladly help you with #s 3-7 if you will take all the obligatory gift cards out of my purse and figure out who gets which and how much they are for. I have that left to do and I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. There are about 8 and several are for different amts from the same stores and I have no idea which is which. :001_huh::glare:

After a bout with the stomach virus that appears to be the 24 hour variety, I'm much better and WAY behind. I just hope I can get some cookies made, groceries bought, and some gifts for DD and DH purchased. Better get going.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Ya know, one of the downsides to home schooling is that a mom can't get stuff done while the kids are in school prior to the holiday break. I have found that I've been very busy the past few days, with some more to do today, but the kids are still counting on me for some daily "programming." I do feel stretched! Another difference this year has been dh having to work right up unitil today. Usually he has a few days off before Christmas and can do things with the kids.

I have not even begun to wrap. But usually I am up all night on this night. DH is not a night person and he usually helps wrap a few things, but then the bulk is left for me.

Fifteen people for a holiday meal tomorrow afternoon, then I am OFF THE CLOCK until January! (Though no doubt cleaning up the mess between now and then...)

Food entirely NOT the worry here...

I still have one pillowcase, one apron, and one cape to sew. Strip a rocking chair, stain it, and remake the cushions. DH is off today but has a preschool workbench and a window seat/bookshelf to make.

Nothing like a little pressure to get the job done. :D

My list is:

clean kitchen so I can:

assemble lasagna

make and bake meatballs

assemble the queso for tomorrow

bake coookies

wrap gifts

bake rum cakes

take gift to friend across town so she has it for tomorrow morning.

take oldest to shelter to make/assemble/leave warming instructions for breakfast tomorrow. (I work there)

Make dh's Chex Mix while at shelter (my oven isn't big enough and this way it will (kinda) be a surprise, except that he bought all the supplies at the commissary. LOL.

Ohyeah, and at some point take a shower/blow dry my hair. (the blow-drying is what will take some time. ugh.

ETA: Oh, no! I forgot that I need to knit a hat for ds today, too! (I can knock one out in a coupla' hours so I'll sit down with a movie.....at some point....I hope......poor kid may get a ball 'o yarn and a promise. lol)

So here I sit at the computer. :lol: I've amended some things...

1) Bake and frost 5 dozen cutout sugar cookies, making sure it is a festive and fun activity for the girls -- two dozen instead...half of which are easy peasy raspberry jam thumbprints.

2) Make stollen, even though I know I'm the only one who eats it. Put off until Sunday or Monday, because I HAVE to have some sometime during the holidays, just not today.

3) Make stock for tomorrow's turkey gravy. In process.

4) Prepare the stuffing for tomorrow's turkey dinner. In process.

5) Watch It's a Wonderful Life in black a white -- no color version allowed. Pending.

6) Take a long bubble bath. Doubtful, but hoped for.

7) Wrap stocking stuffers for the girls' stockings. Maybe while watching It's a Wonderful Life tonight after they go to bed.

8) Clean the house so I'm not embarrassed when Santa Claus comes (who we've now established is a Time Lord...perhaps he wouldn't mind if it was dirty, though) Yeah, not gonna happen.

9) Make overnight cinnamon rolls for tomorrow's breakfast. In process.

10) Make a quiche for tomorrow's breakfast. Bought crust. The rest is easy.

11) Make pizza dough for tonight's traditional Friday night pizza -- even though it's Christmas Eve, that tradition stands. Pending.

12) Make the homemade salsa I promised DH. Bought a jar of Mrs. Renfro's.

13) Figure out how I can make the refrigerator bigger on the inside to hold all of this stuff I'm making for tomorrow. I wish.

14) Somehow spend meaningful time with the girls and DH while keeping a smile on my face. It's been a great day so far!

I'm sitting here, aren't I? ;)

Me too!

I will gladly help you with #s 3-7 if you will take all the obligatory gift cards out of my purse and figure out who gets which and how much they are for. I have that left to do and I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. There are about 8 and several are for different amts from the same stores and I have no idea which is which. :001_huh::glare:

They have a ph# on the back of the card. Call, and you'll know the exact amts on the card :D

I have tonnes to do...but after falling down the stairs this am, I'm skeered to move from my seat...

My list is:

clean kitchen DONE so I can:

assemble lasagna DONE (and an extra, too!)

make and bake meatballs

assemble the queso for tomorrow

bake coookies

wrap gifts

bake rum cakes (decided against it)

take gift to friend across town so she has it for tomorrow morning.

take oldest to shelter to make/assemble/leave warming instructions for breakfast tomorrow. (I work there)

Make dh's Chex Mix while at shelter (my oven isn't big enough and this way it will (kinda) be a surprise, except that he bought all the supplies at the commissary. LOL.

Ohyeah, and at some point take a shower/blow dry my hair. (the blow-drying is what will take some time. ugh.

ETA: Oh, no! I forgot that I need to knit a hat for ds today, too! (I can knock one out in a coupla' hours so I'll sit down with a movie.....at some point....I hope......poor kid may get a ball 'o yarn and a promise. lol)

edited

Things I've done already:

Family full house cleaning

Laundry is only 2 loads short of being done

Roasted a turkey

Baked a ham

Two pies in the oven

All dishes washed

Sitting here for 15 more minutes, then I must rinse out the hair color

To do:

Bake muffins

Bake banana bread

Bake mac & cheese

cut fruit

cut veggies

put together overnight breakfast casserole

Make dips

Cook turnip greens

Cook some other veggie

Defrost rolls for sandwiches tomorrow

Finish laundry

Wrap just a couple things tonight

Be at Mass in 45 minutes

Oh! I have not baked the first Christmas cookie this year.

1) Bake and frost 5 dozen cutout sugar cookies, making sure it is a festive and fun activity for the girls

2) Make stollen, even though I know I'm the only one who eats it.

8) Clean the house so I'm not embarrassed when Santa Claus comes (who we've now established is a Time Lord...perhaps he wouldn't mind if it was dirty, though)

9) Make overnight cinnamon rolls for tomorrow's breakfast.

10) Make a quiche for tomorrow's breakfast.

11) Make pizza dough for tonight's traditional Friday night pizza -- even though it's Christmas Eve, that tradition stands.

12) Make the homemade salsa I promised DH.

13) Figure out how I can make the refrigerator bigger on the inside to hold all of this stuff I'm making for tomorrow.

14) Somehow spend meaningful time with the girls and DH while keeping a smile on my face.

OK, so here is the crucial change about Christmas: It's not a day. It's a set of 12 days. Yes, that's right. Anything you do that is festive between 12/24 and 1/6 'counts' as done by Christmas, because those are the 12 days of Christmas. That means that you can finish making your stollen on 1/5 if you want, and it still counts. You can finish Christmas shopping 1/5 and if they open it by 1/6 it still counts.

I really do this, and it is so nice! The whole let down right after Christmas never happens in our house. The package orgy doesn't, either, because we spread them out (not that we have 12, but we always do save a big one for 1/6.)

Dh took my 6yo to work with him today. I thought I'd have a little extra time with only one kid home. But that's just STUPID! What was I thinking?!?!?! :confused:

Now I have a bored toddler, who doesn't nap, and NOBODY TO DISTRACT HIM. There have been 2yo fingers touching everything I baked today, and when I tried to wrap a few things he massacred 2 rolls of wrapping paper.

Even without hyper big sister to tip him off, he knows something's up and is seriously wired.

And when HE wasn't distracting me, then it was the plumber here to deal with our emergency pipe clog problem. Oh, such a fun day it's been! :tongue_smilie:

So, uh...lots left to do, yes. And here I sit, because denial is a whole lot simpler. ;)

I'm supposed to bake a TON of cookies, wrap all the presents, stuff the stockings, decorate the tree (we just put it up last night) make cinnamon rolls for tomorrow morning, bake the beans for tomorrow cause the ham will be in the oven tomorrow along with normal dishes, laundry and meal making. I'd like to have a movie marathon- that's one thing dd misses from having cable, there was always some sort of marathon on the holidays. OH SNAP, I also have to finish knitting a scarf by tomorrow. LOL, yeah right.

OK, so here is the crucial change about Christmas: It's not a day. It's a set of 12 days. Yes, that's right. Anything you do that is festive between 12/24 and 1/6 'counts' as done by Christmas, because those are the 12 days of Christmas. That means that you can finish making your stollen on 1/5 if you want, and it still counts. You can finish Christmas shopping 1/5 and if they open it by 1/6 it still counts.

I really do this, and it is so nice! The whole let down right after Christmas never happens in our house. The package orgy doesn't, either, because we spread them out (not that we have 12, but we always do save a big one for 1/6.)

Good post. I would hate Christmas Eve/Christmas if I had a to do list like that. We made cookies last night and we'll decorate them today. We are having Chinese takeout, playing games, and watching a movie. Then we'll open our Christmas eve presents. If I had to work like a slave I'd be pretty bitter.

Today my list is:

Make chocolate pie (French silk. The crust is in the oven as we speak)

Make clam dip, because it's just not Christmas without it.

Put up the creche and put the ornaments on the tree.

Eat a great meal with just DH and DD--it's usually cracked crab, but this year we added steak au poivre vert for surf and turf. Also having Caesar salad, mimosas, and rice pilaf.

Open a few presents--one for DH, two for DD.

Go to my favorite church service of the whole year--Christmas Eve Candlelight Service!

Pack for our Christmas Day trip.

I read DD "The Runaway Bunny" as a joke this morning after we all slept in. It was fun!

This is a relaxed, enjoyable day (it helps that I really, really like to cook, and don't have time to do it 'right' very often. So making that meal is actually a treat.)

Merry Christmas!

I've been in bed since Sunday with the flu.

Fortunately, most of the gifts were already purchased and my saint of a hubby braved the crowds for some last minute things today, but I feel awful as I heard my younger girls say it doesn't feel like Christmas.

They're leaving for church without me soon~my 12 y.o. is playing her violin during worship and I'll miss that.

Earlier today I was reminiscing about last year when I had major surgery the week before Christmas. On this day last year I didn't cook a thing. I didn't clean a thing. I didn't do any laundry or dishes. I sat in the recliner and snoozed and watched DVD's. People were bringing us meals and plates of cookies and my husband went to the store to buy appetizers for Christmas Eve.

Ah, the good ol' days. ;)

After a bout with the stomach virus that appears to be the 24 hour variety, I'm much better and WAY behind. I just hope I can get some cookies made, groceries bought, and some gifts for DD and DH purchased. Better get going.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Done, done, and done!

The cookies were "break and bake", the groceries were only the bare essentials (I'll do the big dinner for NY), and the gifts were small but good.

Merry Christmas everyone!