Menu

SAT II American history

I just gave the boys the test cold. My 10th grader made a 600 and my 8th grader made a 570. We haven't studied any history past WWII yet( after Christmas) and they didn't study at all for it. I know the oldest will take it, and probably has a shot at making 700 with studying for a few weeks before the test. What about the 8th grader? Is that too far away for colleges to care by the time he applies?

Christine

If it looks like he should do well on the test, why not have the 8th grader take it?

I do have a question though -- will he not cover US history again at some point? If you are planning on him studying it again in high school (doing AP history or just cycling through history again) I would put the SAT2 off.

The College Board doesn't report SAT (or SAT 2) scores from before 9th grade, so you would have to call them and make special arrangements if you wanted an 8th grade score to be sent to colleges (and I would check in advance that this is possible.) It seems like I've read somewhere also that colleges consider older scores less meaningful.

I agree with Gwen. If your 8th grader is going to study some more American history in his high school years, I'd either put off the SAT 2 until then, or have him take it again at that point, and consider this one practice taking a SAT 2 under formal conditions--which can be helpful, though it is a fair amount of work/stress to prepare for these...

Ok, that is what I wondered. The plan is so far: next year to do AP Government with oldest son. Then cycle back through TOG, so year 1 as a 10th, year 2 as an 11th and year 3 as a 12th, I guess. He loves history and is doing Year 4 rhetoric level...doing history as written and literature modified just a little bit. He's my reader. He's read all of the TOG literature books I've given him in 2 days or less. His favorite books so far is Animal Farm. He hated Gatsby at first, but then it grew on him. He loved Lord of the Flies and Our Town.

Christine