Menu

Is anyone else making home-made gifts for Christmas?

Among other things, I made handwarmers, reusable baggies, appliqued shirts and hoodies, DS cases out of Duck Tape, and carved a couple of lino blocks to print napkins and also a matching table runner in one case. The post on my blog today has pictures of a few of my handmade things. In fact, I feel like I've read a bunch of really awesome blog posts recently about everyone else's handmadies for Christmas.

I made a couple of things from this Frugal Gifts page--some of them are very quick.

Altogether I've made:

2 little purses

a card 'concentration' game and a box for it to go in

a Peter Rabbit theater (had the book sitting around)

a little MP3 player holder

embroidered hankies with monograms (!)

a satin jacket, red, which I hope won't be too flashy but if it is it's reversible

and a whole lot of candy

ETA: I forgot the bookbag and coupon holder for my mom and the library totebags for nieces and nephews. My mom's bag has HER BOOK on it that she published this year!

I've made just about everything from stuff I had sitting around or printed off the computer. Except the candy--my mom gave me the chocolate. I wasn't going to do it this year but she bought the chocolate for me.

Edited by dangermom

When shortning has gone bad here, it turns to a more opaque color-not that solid white anymore. You can easily tell the difference by looking at it. Depending on how out of date it was, I'd still use it myself. That's just me.

Yay...Im not alone...LOL.

Does anyone know is shortening goes bad? I just found some in the back of my pantry...its probably been open for atleast a year. However, it is pure white and doesnt smell bad...do you think its safe to use?

I crocheted a blanket for my sister using Lion Brand Homespun yarn that I LOVE!

I also made a little lap desk with the beanbag bottom, a small purse/tote, and crayon roll for each DD to take to church.

For my secret Santa exchange at work I made scrub hats in Halloween, Xmas, V'day, Easter and St. Patty's day material. She LOVED them!

Cookies (of course) to give to friends, neighbors and family. Simply candy made by pouring melted caramel and chocolate over almonds, walnuts, cashews (or whatever nut you like!). The kids did some neat winter tree watercolor drawings that I am going to reduce in size and print on cardstock to make notecard sets for relatives. Didn't make anything for the kiddos.

AHHHH...I totally screwed up the cookies! I followed the recipe exactly and they came out flat! Tomorrow around noon is when we are doing the gift exchange at my parents...LOL. Now, with no cookies, I have alot to do until then. Heres to waiting till the last minute...:cheers2:.

Thank you for all the ideas...I will be checking out everyone of them.

LOL.

A few this year. I always have grand plans to do more but time moves so quickly when Christmas is approaching that I don't get it all done!

I made:

-A granny mandala for my MIL's living room

-A hot pad for my Mom to wrap with the new cookie sheet she wanted. I did it in blue and white to match the dishes she has.

-A pillow for my Mom's bed....still working on this one actually. It's blocking right now.

-A scarf for my Mom...still working on this one too. Thankfully we don't see her until next week so I have plenty of time.

My 10yo dd made:

- 4 doilies for my MIL

Among other things, I made handwarmers, reusable baggies, appliqued shirts and hoodies, DS cases out of Duck Tape, and carved a couple of lino blocks to print napkins and also a matching table runner in one case. The post on my blog today has pictures of a few of my handmade things. In fact, I feel like I've read a bunch of really awesome blog posts recently about everyone else's handmadies for Christmas.

Lino block printed napkins are something that I have been meaning to make for years. Thank you for posting yours on your blog for inspiration. Nice work!

Jane

ETA: And here is even more inspiration! Sew Mama Sew recently featured these darling gift bags decorated with lino block designs.

Edited by Jane in NC
Added link

I followed a straight needle baby bootie pattern for my niece.

I still need to make the hat to go along with them though.

Then i made a basket of assorted floating candles for my mother.

I made some bath salts for my sister.

That's about it. Id love to make more next year since everything else i bought was from the dollars store. Thought that counts i suppose.

I made rice hot/cold packs (both long ones and some shaped as eye masks). I also did some knock off Ugly dolls for the 3 boys and DH. I used some extra material and rice and made DH some rice bags (think small bean bag size). Those were the hardest thing. With as much as I have been sewing, I feel like I am missing something.

Besides foodstuffs, I shouldn't be making anything for anyone for Christmas unless I were trying to insult them :lol:

I made a card for five-year-old ds once, and my visiting friend thought he made it.

My dh doesn't let me wrap presents for anyone else outside the family for fear of embarrassment.

:tongue_smilie: