Menu

How to run off a girlfriend?

I don't like DS's girlfriend. She has issues that I really don't want wearing off on my kid. Her dad has been married 4 times, her mom has mental issues, she is an only child that has lots of resentment issues with her parents, and she questions things that just need to be her business. For instance, she didn't like that we put DS on the Christmas card in his scout uniform(he finished his Eagle project this year). She said it was embarrassing for him. Ummmm....wth? Who are you to say? She also said he gets made fun of about his name(Casey). How do I run her off?:glare:

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like DS's girlfriend. She has issues that I really don't want wearing off on my kid. Her dad has been married 4 times, her mom has mental issues, she is an only child that has lots of resentment issues with her parents, and she questions things that just need to be her business. For instance, she didn't like that we put DS on the Christmas card in his scout uniform(he finished his Eagle project this year). She said it was embarrassing for him. Ummmm....wth? Who are you to say? She also said he gets made fun of about his name(Casey). How do I run her off?:glare:

I'm sorry that this young woman has so much to deal with in life. What a difficult start.

You might try asking your son what he is attracted to in her. You might point out the things you see that concern you. Ultimately, you may just have to accept his decisions about her.

I bet it's hard to be a mil. We love our kids so much, and want to give them just the life we want them to have. But sometimes we just have to love them and respect their decisions, even when we disagree.

:grouphug:

My son usually drops any girl I really like so if I wanted to run a girl off, I would include her in family events, take her out for a girls-only lunch, and just generally act like I adored her. ;-)

FYI - I totally misread your post title as "how to run off WITH a girlfriend." lol

You don't. Unless you want your ds marrying her.

:iagree:

That being said, dd30 was always bringing home bottom feeders (sorry - that's how dh and I described them). I cannot tell you the number of them that I 'prayed' away --and yes, they went away. One kid's father got an amazing job offer in Florida and off they went.

The one that thankfully went away (right before she met the young man who is now her wonderful DH) -- well, I got rid of him by praying and becoming 'friends' with his mom. I made him SO welcome in our home, you would have thought that he was heir to the throne. It made him uncomfortable enough to flee. It didn't happen overnight - it did take months, but it worked.

Good luck.

My mom's strategy when my brother had a number of highly questionable girlfriends in high school & college was to kill them with civility but no actual warmth. He finally wised up and dated a lovely girl for several years before she got fed up with his phobia to making a permanent commitment :glare:

His current girlfriend seems nice too but I've only met her twice so it's hard to tell.

:iagree:

That being said, dd30 was always bringing home bottom feeders (sorry - that's how dh and I described them). I cannot tell you the number of them that I 'prayed' away --and yes, they went away. One kid's father got an amazing job offer in Florida and off they went.

The one that thankfully went away (right before she met the young man who is now her wonderful DH) -- well, I got rid of him by praying and becoming 'friends' with his mom. I made him SO welcome in our home, you would have thought that he was heir to the throne. It made him uncomfortable enough to flee. It didn't happen overnight - it did take months, but it worked.

Good luck.

I wonder if this would work on ds girlfriend. My biggest issue is I have a 5 year old and I really don't want this girl around my dd at all. So, becoming friends would not be a good thing.

On the bolded part: how the heck is any of this HER fault and do you blame her for having "resentment issues? I'm sorry, but my dad was a bigamist and my mother was emotionally damaged. My MIL felt the same way about me, but my family was nothing compared to her family's dysfunction, starting with her narcissism. One of my best friends grew up severely abused and tossed around the system; she is an awesome wife and mother. Her MIL hated her also because of her background. (ps: my dh hasn't spoken to his mother in several years)

On the underlined part: she's young and it wasn't the wisest thing to point out. However, she may think she's being kind or "on your side" by telling you what your son won't.

Sorry, I'm not there, but I didn't see anything in your post that would make me think she needs to be run off...just "she's not good enough for my baby".

Edited by mommaduck

tell your ds she's not invited for Christmas. :glare:

http://welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232163

Honestly, don't say ANYTHING negative about her to your son. This will likely push him closer to her. He needs to make this decision on his own.

I do like ds's girl but even if I didn't, I would really bite my tongue.

:iagree::iagree: It's me and her against the world. I did manage to run off one of dd's suitors...but he was 29 and she was 17....I told him he was a pedophile and I would make sure everyone knew it. he left her alone after that.....PHEW! That said, her taste in boyfriends leaves tons to be desired. She is now 21...her choice, not mine.

Faithe

Wow. As pp's have said, you don't "run her off." She's a human being, not a stray dog that wandered onto your property, and from what you've told us, her family issues aren't her fault. Keep up the overbearing, heartless attitude, and it might just be your ds that you "run off."

Wow. As pp's have said, you don't "run her off." She's a human being, not a stray dog that wandered onto your property, and from what you've told us, her family issues aren't her fault. Keep up the overbearing, heartless attitude, and it might just be your ds that you "run off."

Well when she comes into my house and questions the way I raise my son I think I have every right to have an opinion thank you. I am far from heartless and treat her with respect. My son is 15, not an adult by any means. I was not looking for a lecture. I was a teenage girl and I know very well the jealous head games they like to play and I see her messing with my kid. Issues or no that sh&t don't fly in my house.

:iagree: Be careful here. This is true and accurate information!

Is this a case of keeping your friends close but your enemies closer?;)

Yes! But, she's young, she hasn't had good role models; she just doesn't know how to behave. Likely and understandably she's parroting what she's been taught. Keep her close, get to know her, maybe YOU can be a positive change for her. Even if they don't stay together, you might be able to make a parental impact on her that her own parents weren't able or equipped to do.

Yes! But, she's young, she hasn't had good role models; she just doesn't know how to behave. Likely and understandably she's parroting what she's been taught. Keep her close, get to know her, maybe YOU can be a positive change for her. Even if they don't stay together, you might be able to make a parental impact on her that her own parents weren't able or equipped to do.

:iagree:Very wise and compassionate advice, Laura.

My mom's strategy when my brother had a number of highly questionable girlfriends in high school & college was to kill them with civility but no actual warmth...

That was the strategy dh's mom used on me. It wasn't pleasant, but it didn't work either. I sucked up a lot of "civility" for several years, even after we were married before she decided maybe we could be friends after all. And at that point even though I did want a good relationship with her it was a little hard sometimes to just set all of that aside and be friends (though possibly easier than if she'd been outright rude, and I'm sure she felt like it sometimes). But it helped that I understood and sympathized with her objections to me, and it wasn't her fault her son made choices she didn't agree with. Nowadays she ends phone calls with me with "Love you!" and I can tell she means it. I think it took some real guts for her to work through all that, and I really admire her for it.

Both of his grandmothers quietly disowned him shortly after he married me. Frankly it was probably the nicest thing they could have done, because we got to not be involved in the family drama over inheritance when they passed away. And evidently they'd told him in advance that they were going to do it, but he hadn't passed that information on to me. He just told me in passing after it had been done, so I would know where we stood. I would love to sit down with them in heaven someday and discuss the situation like adults. I wonder if that will ever happen.

Edited by MamaSheep

:iagree: Be careful here. This is true and accurate information!

I would like to think I could be helpful. I just worry about the fact that she is.......more worldly than I would want for my son right now. He has confided in me that her experience with boys is, well let's just say it. She isn't a virgin at the age of 15.:001_huh: He has hardly dated and I see that she can persuade him. She recently pierced her own nose just to make her mom mad.

Ugh. I totally hear you. Ds19 once dated a girl who wore a fake fox tale...and that's the least of it.

I didn't want her around ds or my dd.

He gave her up on his own accord.

I think 15 is too young to date, but I got into a situation where we didn't allow dating, but he did, anyway--it's not even "dating," exactly, in public school.

ANYway, just hang in there. Don't burn your bridges or try to control it, but maybe think about helping your son stay busy and figuring out why he is attracted to her.

Ugh. I totally hear you. Ds19 once dated a girl who wore a fake fox tale...and that's the least of it.

I didn't want her around ds or my dd.

He gave her up on his own accord.

I think 15 is too young to date, but I got into a situation where we didn't allow dating, but he did, anyway--it's not even "dating," exactly, in public school.

ANYway, just hang in there. Don't burn your bridges or try to control it, but maybe think about helping your son stay busy and figuring out why he is attracted to her.

Yes if I could rewind the clock a bit I would institute stricter rules on the whole dating thing. I am understanding the whole courtship idea more now that I have a teen. We have lots of willing and able spies to run downstairs on "errands" to keep things in check. I would love to hear about the fox tail?:tongue_smilie:

My girls are nowhere the dating age, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I do have a few thoughts. Maybe she just needs someone to love her. It sounds like she hasn't had much love in her life. I'm not saying you have to save the world, but you might honestly be able to make a difference in one girl's life. And I hate to admit this, but I wasn't a virgin at 15 either. :( I'm glad no one tried to run me out of their life.

ETA: At least at his age, you do have control of who he spends his time with and how he spends it. At least for a few more years.

:001_huh: You guys are really scaring me.

My only experience with teen dating was when DD was dating a young man with a drug problem. He came from a single mom home, and had been in "juvie" twice. :001_unsure: I was NOT happy. But DD never knew it. We invited the young man over, involved him in our family activities, and even took him on a vacation with us. Our thought was to "mentor" him. It didn't take. Two months later, he started dating another girl, and didn't even have the guts to tell DD. She found out one morning when she saw them making out in the school hallway. :( It broke her heart. :( I bought ice cream. She worked through it. :) But she hasn't dated since then. She made a list of qualities, and refuses to date anyone who doesn't meet her list requirements. :D

:001_huh: You guys are really scaring me.

My only experience with teen dating was when DD was dating a young man with a drug problem. He came from a single mom home, and had been in "juvie" twice. :001_unsure: I was NOT happy. But DD never knew it. We invited the young man over, involved him in our family activities, and even took him on a vacation with us. Our thought was to "mentor" him. It didn't take. Two months later, he started dating another girl, and didn't even have the guts to tell DD. She found out one morning when she saw them making out in the school hallway. :( It broke her heart. :( I bought ice cream. She worked through it. :) But she hasn't dated since then. She made a list of qualities, and refuses to date anyone who doesn't meet her list requirements. :D

Smart Girl.:001_smile:

Well when she comes into my house and questions the way I raise my son I think I have every right to have an opinion thank you. I am far from heartless and treat her with respect. My son is 15, not an adult by any means. I was not looking for a lecture. I was a teenage girl and I know very well the jealous head games they like to play and I see her messing with my kid. Issues or no that sh&t don't fly in my house.

And a virgin from an impeccable family background is never going to say anything annoying? They're teenagers. That's what they do.

I've been that fifteen year old girl from a horrible family, and believe me, she knows that you're sneering down your nose at her because you think she's not good enough for your baby. Perhaps if you didn't automatically dismiss her because of who her parents are, she'd treat you with a little more respect. It's hard to act like a perfect angel when you feel like an outcast.

My husband had two girlfriends before we met, neither of which was nearly as good as me (according to my mil :D ) The first offered him a 3some (thankfully he refused), and then cheated on him. The second wasn't as bad, but had issues like you're describing, and he dated her for 2 years. I like to think that those bad relationships got him to the point where he could appreciate his own worth and appreciate me (not trying to sound arrogant...)

My point in this is that you raised your son with the best values you could. At some point you're going to have to let him figure stuff out, and pray that his hormones don't completely override his still developing frontal cortex.

And ... is never going to say anything annoying? They're teenagers. That's what they do.

Delaney,

Stick to your guns and hang in there. There is nothing wrong with standards. You are under no obligation to modify your values to fit contemporary society. If you do not like her so be it.

Have your husband have a one on one with your son as to why he is seeing her. Good boys are sometimes attracted to "bad girls" for just the reasons that worry parents. This needs to be a man on son talk.

Obviously you can not stop him seeing her but you can make it difficult and most boys will come around. Step one is to ban her from the house.

This being said, make certain that your opinion is justified, bad family does not automatically equal bad kid and maybe you can help, rexamine the issues but if you feel certain then charge ahead.

Regarding her attitude towards you. As a teenager, had I ever said anything rude or annoying to a girl's parents, I would have expected to be kicked out on my ear. That's what polite teenagers do. ... as to the rest of them they can learn especially if the cost of rudeness is not seeing the "object of their affection."

Edited by pqr

She's a child... :001_huh: Wow, is all I can say... WWJD?

It's a lot harder to try to be The Big Guy in the Sky when your kid's safety and emotional well-being is concerned, though. Really hard. I do agree with you, though.

Delaney, we always try to protect our kids from things. I think that's (regardless of what those "things" may be) why many of us homeschool. At the age when dating becomes a change, we have to let our kids learn some things on their own. And sometimes a kid is set to cross our path who needs help. A 15 year old girl like the one you describe needs some assistance. Why did she choose your son? Because he is quite likely unlike anything else she's had experience with. That's possibly a good sign. If it's a new relationship, I might sit back and watch for a while, while doing what I can from afar. If it's been a lengthy relationship, I'd seriously consider some more intensive inclusion.

I might have been that girl from a crappy family who dated someone for a very long time (throughout those tumultuous teen years) whose family was a lot different. I learned a lot (even though that mom was a nut job. Seriously.). It was good in the long run.

I wish I knew. My nephew currently has a girlfriend and I can say without a doubt that meeting her and her family is the worst thing that has ever happened to my family. He has become a belligerent, nasty brat just like his girlfriend and her mother. He has run away and it has all driven my sister to pretty significant health problems because of all of the stress. I have to prevent myself daily from going over and punching her mother in the face over all of the grief that she and her kid have caused our family and I am not a confrontational person. My nephew is on a path that could ruin his entire life over this girl and her family.

Wow. As pp's have said, you don't "run her off."

It is just an expression. Very midwestern, IME. I tell people my husband is "a hard dog to keep on the porch". I don't REALLY mean he is a dog I expect to heel. In live conversation, people just laugh. Humor is hard to get across on the net.

A friend in high school's little sister got mixed up with a real piece of work guy. He and his buddy "knocked over" the house when they broke up. Some people ARE real trouble.

Your ds is only 15yo. You have EVERY RIGHT to your opinion on his girlfriend. If he was an adult then you might have to back down but sorry, I don't believe that a 15yo should be making all their own decisions.

My mom was VERY vocal about my boyfriends, the ones she liked and didn't, and yes, at the time I acted like an indignant teenager about the whole thing but as an adult I THANK GOD FOR MY MOM'S "INTERFERENCE" or who knows what I would have ended up with?

I distinctly remember arguing with her about one boyfriend in particular... defending the loser like a typical teenage girl... but inside my head i was SO GLAD she cared and it gave me the excuse I needed to break up with the guy. I did not want to admit that she was "right" so I got to say she was being "unreasonable" and "making me break up with him." Sometimes you have to save teenagers from themselves.

You are his mother. You know best. If something is tugging at your heart about this girl, trust your instincts.

That was the strategy dh's mom used on me. It wasn't pleasant, but it didn't work either. I sucked up a lot of "civility" for several years, even after we were married before she decided maybe we could be friends after all. And at that point even though I did want a good relationship with her it was a little hard sometimes to just set all of that aside and be friends (though possibly easier than if she'd been outright rude, and I'm sure she felt like it sometimes). But it helped that I understood and sympathized with her objections to me, and it wasn't her fault her son made choices she didn't agree with. Nowadays she ends phone calls with me with "Love you!" and I can tell she means it. I think it took some real guts for her to work through all that, and I really admire her for it.

It sounds like you had enough maturity for both of you, Amy. So glad you are enjoying the relationship now!:)

She's a kid, a teen; you're an adult. Perhaps you could offer some grace, maturity, and tolerance and allow for her inexperience, youth, and difficult circumstances?

I just want to make it clear that I do believe Delaney has every right to decide who her 15 year old son spends his private time with. But I could have been that girl. I was that girl. I turned out to be a pretty decent person, as far as I know. ;)

I don't think anyone is suggesting she accept this girl into her son's life blindly. But perhaps a little grace would go a long way. I'm sure the gf hasn't been taught how to be kind and gracious and polite. I certainly wasn't in a lot of ways.

And I certainly think it's a good time to implement a rule that he keep himself, his girlfriend, and all their body parts within eyesight at all times.

Edited by Nakia

A friend in high school's little sister got mixed up with a real piece of work guy. He and his buddy "knocked over" the house when they broke up. Some people ARE real trouble.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Sometimes the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

One of my brother's loser ex-girlfriends (unfortunately the one whom he took to our wedding reception so she's in a lot of the photos from the event) had a father who was killed in a drug deal gone bad. She turned out to have a crystal meth addiction herself and wound up pregnant at 17 from cheating on my brother (thank God he had had the sense not to sleep with her because he probably would've been at risk for an STD :eek:).

You'd think that experience would've taught him a lesson but he continued to date questionable girls for several years after that.

I wonder if this would work on ds girlfriend. My biggest issue is I have a 5 year old and I really don't want this girl around my dd at all. So, becoming friends would not be a good thing.

I understand that you don't want her around your 5 year old. But if you make sure your 5 year old is always supervised by you while she is around, you could at least run damage control.

I am firmly convinced that the best way to handle the situation when your child has a significant other you don't like is to embrace that SO as tightly as possible. Have him/her over to your house ALL. THE. TIME. Eat dinner together, watch a movie together have that person over as much as you can without vomiting. Kill that person with kindness.

After a few weeks of this, either you will know that person well enough that you don't think he/she is so bad, OR the SO will know YOU so much better that he/she can't stand the sight of you and will leave your child in haste.

Either way, you win. :D

I don't like DS's girlfriend. She has issues that I really don't want wearing off on my kid. Her dad has been married 4 times, her mom has mental issues, she is an only child that has lots of resentment issues with her parents, and she questions things that just need to be her business. For instance, she didn't like that we put DS on the Christmas card in his scout uniform(he finished his Eagle project this year). She said it was embarrassing for him.

Is it?

Ummmm....wth? Who are you to say? She also said he gets made fun of about his name(Casey).

Does he?

How do I run her off?:glare:

So far I haven't read anything earth shattering, I'm sure there is more to the story.

What if the next ones worse? ;)

I suggest you work really hard to point out her issues. Chide her for her less than stellar upbringing. Point out how she isn't good enough for your dear son. Let her know you posted for advice on ways to run her off on a public forum. Make a big joke of it. Get plenty of laughs in at her expense and dig away at any remnants of self-esteem she might have.

She'll be calling you mother-in-law (or you'll be a grandma) within the next year. I guarantee it.

Edited by Audrey

It sounds like you had enough maturity for both of you, Amy. So glad you are enjoying the relationship now!:)

Oh yes, I'm very mature. Snicker.

Actually, I think she handled it pretty well, under the circumstances. And I did have some hope because she liked me well enough briefly when we met BEFORE dh started actually "dating" me...lol. He was a friend, we hung out sometimes, and he asked if I wanted to go to dinner with his parents. He'd broken up with his long-time girlfriend several months earlier, but it was the first time his parents were in town since the break-up and he said it felt funny not to have 2 couples at the table and would I be a buddy and just fill the extra chair so he didn't feel awkward. I figured, hey, it might be fun to meet the people who had produced my (slightly off-kilter, but in fun ways) friend. We had a lovely dinner, and his parents were both very friendly. The next time I saw them, though, was about half a year later after I had decided to actually give dh a chance in the romance department. (No such advances had been made at the time of the dinner. I tried to run him off because I was interested in someone else, but he won me over with persistence and sincerety...lol. Also, the other guy started acting like a real jerk and I decided I was OVER mind games, g'bye.) He'd taken me home for a visit after we'd been dating for a couple of months, and his poor Mom was VERY. VERY. Polite. And ice. Made me very nervous. I tried to be friendly and cheerful, but that backfired after dh and I got back to his parents' house after a visit to the local Renaissance Festival, where he'd purchased a cheapo ring for me as a fun souvenir. His mom met us at the door and (very politely) asked how I had enjoyed it. I put on my cheerful friendly face and announced through my nerves that I'd had a very good time, we saw some fun entertainment, had some delicious meat pies for lunch, and dh had given me a ring. I should not have phrased it that way. I seriously thought she was going to faint for a minute there.

But honestly, I think she handled things pretty gracefully, all things considered. I think she really believed dh's "Mormon" thing was just a phase and was trying to be a good sport and wait it out, figuring he'd come to his senses eventually. And then he brought home a Mormon girl. I think it was a bit of a shock to the poor lady. Especially considering some of the (inaccurate) nasty-grams her sister had sent her about Mormons. I, on the other hand, would not really have considered dating, let alone marrying dh at that point in my life (I was in my mid 20s) if he hadn't convinced me that he really believed and was in for the long haul.

It was a tough situation, and I think a great deal of restraint was shown by my MIL, under the circumstances.

Edited by MamaSheep

Delaney,

Have your husband have a one on one with your son as to why he is seeing her. Good boys are sometimes attracted to "bad girls" for just the reasons that worry parents. This needs to be a man on son talk.

."

I think this is very good advice.

I also think the OP is very wise to be proactive about the situation so she doesn't end up raising a grandchild (but at least the child would have a much better name :001_rolleyes: )

I think this is very good advice.

I also think the OP is very wise to be proactive about the situation so she doesn't end up raising a grandchild (but at least the child would have a much better name :001_rolleyes: )

I think it's quite a leap to assume that because the girl comes from a rough family, she'll coerce the op's son into impregnating her, and then abandoning the child. And the jab about the hypothetical child's reputation was just uncalled for.

Oh yes, I'm very mature. Snicker.

Actually, I think she handled it pretty well, under the circumstances. And I did have some hope because she liked me well enough briefly when we met BEFORE dh started actually "dating" me...lol. He was a friend, we hung out sometimes, and he asked if I wanted to go to dinner with his parents. He'd broken up with his long-time girlfriend several months earlier, but it was the first time his parents were in town since the break-up and he said it felt funny not to have 2 couples at the table and would I be a buddy and just fill the extra chair so he didn't feel awkward. I figured, hey, it might be fun to meet the people who had produced my (slightly off-kilter, but in fun ways) friend. We had a lovely dinner, and his parents were both very friendly. The next time I saw them, though, was about half a year later after I had decided to actually give dh a chance in the romance department. (No such advances had been made at the time of the dinner. I tried to run him off because I was interested in someone else, but he won me over with persistence and sincerety...lol. Also, the other guy started acting like a real jerk and I decided I was OVER mind games, g'bye.) He'd taken me home for a visit after we'd been dating for a couple of months, and his poor Mom was VERY. VERY. Polite. And ice. Made me very nervous. I tried to be friendly and cheerful, but that backfired after dh and I got back to his parents' house after a visit to the local Renaissance Festival, where he'd purchased a cheapo ring for me as a fun souvenir. His mom met us at the door and (very politely) asked how I had enjoyed it. I put on my cheerful friendly face and announced through my nerves that I'd had a very good time, we saw some fun entertainment, had some delicious meat pies for lunch, and dh had given me a ring. I should not have phrased it that way. I seriously thought she was going to faint for a minute there.

But honestly, I think she handled things pretty gracefully, all things considered. I think she really believed dh's "Mormon" thing was just a phase and was trying to be a good sport and wait it out, figuring he'd come to his senses eventually. And then he brought home a Mormon girl. I think it was a bit of a shock to the poor lady. Especially considering some of the (inaccurate) nasty-grams her sister had sent her about Mormons. I, on the other hand, would not really have considered dating, let alone marrying dh at that point in my life (I was in my mid 20s) if he hadn't convinced me that he really believed and was in for the long haul.

It was a tough situation, and I think a great deal of restraint was shown by my MIL, under the circumstances.

That's a great love story, Amy. Thanks for sharing it!:)

That's a great love story, Amy. Thanks for sharing it!:)

Hey sure. It was quite the experience, all in all. That's just a little snippet. There was much more. I could write a book but nobody would believe it. We have often commented on how the timing, the circumstances, and whatnot had to have been just exactly how they were, when they were or we would never have ended up together. And some of them were kind of odd--not the sort of thing everyday life is made of. We are of the opinion that God had a hand in it. A mutual friend commented that we were causing a major disruption of the space-time continuum just by DATING each other. I don't know what he thought when we got married...lol...and reproduced...rofl....

Life is a funny ol' thing.