Menu

2010, you've got to be kidding me!

So, I'm one of the posters whose year has sucked bigtime. Deaths, financial disasters, sickness, you name it! Right from January onward, we've been clobbered repeatedly.

Two weeks ago my husband was in the hospital thinking he was having heart problems (I never updated about that - his heart is fine...but he had the start of an ulcer, which is now being treated).

My kids have had the stomach flu TWICE in the last 5 weeks, and now they have a cold just in time for Christmas.

Earlier this week, I was the poster who thought her snake had ticks (turned out to be mites, which are now being treated).

Today I am calling a plumber because whenever a toilet anywhere else in the house is flushed, the basement toilet and shower drain start bubbling. :eek:

There's also a weird smell and I'm totally freaking out.

And my dear, lovely friend whose kids play with mine regularly just called to tell me her kids have lice, and I'd better check mine.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Please tell me that sometime in the not-so-distant future this will all seem funny...

:grouphug:

If it makes you feel better, my year has sucked, too. Starting with dh losing his job last January, and me finding out I was pregnant a week later. And did I mentioned I nearly died in 2009 and was hospitalized twice? So what little money we had in savings was goooone. And it's just been one thing after another all year.

So, I'm one of the posters whose year has sucked bigtime. Deaths, financial disasters, sickness, you name it! Right from January onward, we've been clobbered repeatedly.

Two weeks ago my husband was in the hospital thinking he was having heart problems (I never updated about that - his heart is fine...but he had the start of an ulcer, which is now being treated).

My kids have had the stomach flu TWICE in the last 5 weeks, and now they have a cold just in time for Christmas.

Earlier this week, I was the poster who thought her snake had ticks (turned out to be mites, which are now being treated).

Today I am calling a plumber because whenever a toilet anywhere else in the house is flushed, the basement toilet and shower drain start bubbling. :eek:

There's also a weird smell and I'm totally freaking out.

And my dear, lovely friend whose kids play with mine regularly just called to tell me her kids have lice, and I'd better check mine.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Please tell me that sometime in the not-so-distant future this will all seem funny...

I'm sorry. I guess it was better when you thought it was the snake with lice.

I truly hope 2011 is a peaceful, stress-free year for you. You deserve it!

Thanks for all the hugs, everybody! I know it's been a really rotten year for a lot of people. Thank goodness it's nearly over!

There ought to be some special way to celebrate when you're ushering out a particularly craptastic year.

Burn a calendar?

Get drunk and sing silly songs? (Oh, that one has been done)

Get drunk, take a hot bath, and go to bed?

Cry, releasing all the pent up frustration from the year?

Get drunk and cry?

Okay, I see where all my suggestions are going. I'll need a trip to the grocery before next week.

Oh, and I think I now have tonsillitis (which would not be an issue if my parents would have had my tonsils removed when I was 7 like they needed to be). *sigh* release, release, release...

Too bad I'm out of alcohol now. :lol:....how many more days?

Burn a calendar?

Get drunk and sing silly songs? (Oh, that one has been done)

Get drunk, take a hot bath, and go to bed?

Cry, releasing all the pent up frustration from the year?

Get drunk and cry?

Okay, I see where all my suggestions are going. I'll need a trip to the grocery before next week.

Oh, and I think I now have tonsillitis (which would not be an issue if my parents would have had my tonsils removed when I was 7 like they needed to be). *sigh* release, release, release...

Too bad I'm out of alcohol now. :lol:....how many more days?

Did I mention that I'm also 35 weeks pregnant? I wish I could get drunk and sing silly songs! One of you guys is going to have to toast the new year on my behalf.

Thanks for all the hugs, everybody! I know it's been a really rotten year for a lot of people. Thank goodness it's nearly over!

There ought to be some special way to celebrate when you're ushering out a particularly craptastic year.

We all oughta go to a really loud concert on New Year's Eve. Or something.

I'm another hoping for 2010 to just go away already. And I hear you about the lice--my 7yo got it from her cousin a month ago, and the horrible ordeal is finally over. She has so much hair that it was really difficult to be sure she was clear and I was very tempted to shave her head more than once.

So sorry to hear that. I pray the new year will be much brighter. And that your kids don't have lice and will feel better soon.

My inspections have so far shown no lice. Wooooohoooooo!!!! So far so good.

I expect I'll spend the next several days obsessively checking their hair anyway. Lice seriously freak me out!

I'm so, so glad 2010 is nearly finished! Our bad luck started in 2009 with dh losing his job in October and then having his truck totalled by a drunk driver 2 weeks later, on his birthday. Awesome! 2010 has come and gone and still no job but lots and lots of headaches including having to commit my mom to a mental health facility twice.

Here's hoping 2011 is much better! It's just gotta be, right?

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine. :tongue_smilie:

We're on the city sewer system...so here's hoping this is easily resolved!

You might need your vents snaked out. I had this, and the nice plumbers sucked all the goop out and everything was magically better. Close your toilet lids before they begin. Don't ask why. Just do it.

You might need your vents snaked out. I had this, and the nice plumbers sucked all the goop out and everything was magically better. .

We have had this problem 2 or 3 times in the past year or so. The first time, apparently the safety seal on the floor drain was broken, so the backup was all over the basement floor :tongue_smilie:. The 2nd, the drains held, so gray water backed up into the utility sink (along with floating toilet contents :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:). It seemed to be brought on by large amounts of water, such as running the washer, the dishwasher, showers and flushing all in the same general time frame. Once the backing up begins, however, it happens with every flush, as the OP mentioned.

Snaking the drains is absolutely the solution. If you really want to know what's causing it (or if it continues to happen, as in our case), you can have them run a camera as well, to see if there are any roots growing or cracks in your pipes, and can also determine if there is a problem on the city end, so they can be notified to take care of it. If the issue is on your property, though (between your house and the road where it hooks onto the city system), it's your responsibility ;).

Wishing you (and all of us!) a New and Improved Year!