Menu

2010 top "DUMB" things... (OR what were we thinking??)

Now that the New Year is upon is, what popular items have you seen in 2010 and frankly -- just did not understand?

Just saw a list of 2010 top things and this shoe made the list. For myself, I just do not get the TOMS shoe phenomenom. I get the idea that the company is giving away free shoes to third world countries. Understood. But how is is CHARITY for the company to do so -- when those shoes are cheap to produce (i.e. $10 per pair) -- but they charge $55 per pair?? Really? I mean if you look at it logically, you are paying for 2 pairs of shoes (that are quite ugly) and TOMS is pocketing the profit laughing all the way to the bank. TOMS did not pay for the extra shoes to be donated. You did. How is this charity to make the company look good?

I guess I am venting due to the young'uns wearing these shoes as if they are like a bulletin board for do-gooders. Or wearing them to make a statement at weddings -- but they are overpriced ugly shoes. :glare: Wait. People. You could have donated the same amount of money to a reputable charity and seen a direct result of your time and money. Auuuugh.

Nordstrom had a really nice giving tree that I saw yesterday.

You pay $20 and they give a local needy child (I have impression that it's a teen or preteen) a $55 pair of New Balance shoes--so it's pretty much at their cost or below. I thought it was an impressive thing to do.

Wow. That is what my original point (vent) was over. That is giving locally and making a direct difference. Most likely the teen got the shoes via a local food bank or Angel Tree (via Nordstrom). And the shoes will stand wear and tear. I applaud Nordstrom for doing that!! :)

Wow. That is what my original point (vent) was over. That is giving locally and making a direct difference. Most likely the teen got the shoes via a local food bank or Angel Tree (via Nordstrom). And the shoes will stand wear and tear. I applaud Nordstrom for doing that!! :)

At the risk of sounding like a Scrooge...

Who gets the charitable tax deduction for something like this? Nordstrom, the individual, or both?

(I checked Nordstrom's website and just answered my own question...the small print says " No charitable contribution deduction is available for gift-tag purchases."

Edited by Laurie

Who gets the charitable tax deduction for something like this? Nordstrom, the individual, or both?

(I checked Nordstrom's website and just answered my own question...the small print says " No charitable contribution deduction is available for gift-tag purchases."

Yes, but the discount more than makes up for that. It's more than half off. That means that if you would have given $55 and written it off, you are now giving $20, and not writing it off, but end up with more money in your pocket either way. Plus they are making it easy to do this, and giving up some significant opportunity for profits.

The other Giving Tree situations that I have seen involve taking a tag and finding a retail item, buying it, and delivering it somewhere. This way it's at a deep discount and you don't have to do anything but take the tag up to the register. I would love a toy deal like that! This year the Marines' Toys for Tots program ran short, and we bought a bunch of toys and games for a local charity. We were able to find some of them on sale, but still, 35% off is a lot less than 55-60% off. Kudos to Nordstrom, I say!

Justin Beiber (and apparently lesbians who look like him??) No clue who he is, really, but he seems to be a hot topic on my facebook feed (more specifically, people's undying hatred of him is a hot topic).

That Teen Mom show. I was a teen mom myself, so I'm not being self-righteous. But given the younger generation's obsession with reality TV and celebrity culture, it seems like an epically bad idea. I don't doubt for a moment that there are girls trying to get themselves knocked up because they think they'll get on the show.

Justin Beiber (and apparently lesbians who look like him??) No clue who he is, really, but he seems to be a hot topic on my facebook feed (more specifically, people's undying hatred of him is a hot topic).

:iagree: Good point. We listen to Radio Disney and for the life of me, I still cannot tell which song he sings as they all sound alike... but the folks who love to hate him do have me in their camp. Yikes. ;)

That Teen Mom show. I was a teen mom myself, so I'm not being self-righteous. But given the younger generation's obsession with reality TV and celebrity culture, it seems like an epically bad idea. I don't doubt for a moment that there are girls trying to get themselves knocked up because they think they'll get on the show.

Oooh. Did you see the article on how MTV (16 and Pregnant) is helping lower the teen mom rates? I'm not sure. But do know of many young impressionable girls (i.e. my niece, who was a teen mom) who did not understand the ramifications of being a teen mom. I hear the gossip on one mom, Amber, and her temper? Wow.

I would suspect Nordstrom gets the tax write off. Pretty common in any charity drive. Most businesses would not give if there was not a write off for them. However, it appears no profit was made for Nordstrom? TOMS would pocket the profit and get the tax write off for flying the shoes to Africa. That part (to me) seems a bit unmeritous for the company. :confused::confused:

Let's see..... just working from the TLC lineup I'd add:

Sarah Palin' s Alaska

My Strange Addiction

Sister Wives

Toddlers & Tiaras

Cake Boss

:lol::lol::lol:

In complete agreement... did anyone see the episode with Sarah and Kate Gosselin? Wowzers. I read about it but never got to see it. Sounds like Kate had a diva meltdown?

Oh, Cake Boss is fun! Yeah, it's reality TV, so that automatically makes it, well, whatever you can throw at it, but he is pretty creative, it's pretty clean, and they do seem to love each other, even if he yells a bit (and he didn't yell so much the first season). We only watch on Netflix (no cable), but I have to disagree with this one being on Astrid's list.

I'll likely have to duck a few tomatoes over this, but here goes...

Bling-bling purses. I mean, the suitcase sized, ultra embellished models that can't possibly match more than one outfit in a woman's closet.

So you may love your flashy handbags, but, to me, they make no sense.

I will graciously accept all tomatoes thrown for this comment.....

Ugg boots. I know tons of people love them and the fad is finally starting to fade a tad, but man those things are UGGGly! I live in the PNW, so they have been very popular the past few years.....I am happy to see them less, and less! I am all for comfort and live in Eddie Bauer clothes, so I am not a very fashionable person, but these boots, and especially the way people walk in them are definitely one for the history books of 'what were they thinking!'

I LOOOVE all the beautiful leather varieties of boots out there. I have always been a boot lover, so the wonderful leather boots are bliss to look at vs. the chunky, dusty brown UGGs.

Ugg boots. I know tons of people love them and the fad is finally starting to fade a tad, but man those things are UGGGly! I live in the PNW, so they have been very popular the past few years.....I am happy to see them less, and less! I am all for comfort and live in Eddie Bauer clothes, so I am not a very fashionable person, but these boots, and especially the way people walk in them are definitely one for the history books of 'what were they thinking!'

I LOOOVE all the beautiful leather varieties of boots out there. I have always been a boot lover, so the wonderful leather boots are bliss to look at vs. the chunky, dusty brown UGGs.

I have to agree. They are hideous! I suppose for comfort, but watching young teen girls with the ultra mini cotton skirt, cotton t-shirt, no stockings, and Uggs? What is up with that? :confused:

Oh, Cake Boss is fun! Yeah, it's reality TV, so that automatically makes it, well, whatever you can throw at it, but he is pretty creative, it's pretty clean, and they do seem to love each other, even if he yells a bit (and he didn't yell so much the first season). We only watch on Netflix (no cable), but I have to disagree with this one being on Astrid's list.

I don't know.....I think his cakes are, well, uninspired. I don't like his yelling and eye-rolling, and he's kind of a lousy "actor." (Though I know they're not supposed to be ACTING; it's reality TV.)

Plus, I do love Ace of Cakes, so maybe I"m just mentally comparing the two?

astrid

I have to agree. They are hideous! I suppose for comfort, but watching young teen girls with the ultra mini cotton skirt, cotton t-shirt, no stockings, and Uggs? What is up with that? :confused:

My podiatrist recently told me that UGG boots are the number one reason for the upswing in his business the last year or so!

That battery-powered mascara threw me for a loop. Who wants to put a jiggling mascara wand next to their eyeball?

I haven't seen that one, but the prescription drug to enhance your eyelashes? :001_huh: Seriously? Brooke Shields is their spokesperson, please. Then the side effects, yes, lets have side effects so our eyelashes can look more plump and full. I mean there might be a medical need for this I don't know about, but the bit I saw made it seem more about vanity.

I haven't seen that one, but the prescription drug to enhance your eyelashes? :001_huh: Seriously? Brooke Shields is their spokesperson, please. Then the side effects, yes, lets have side effects so our eyelashes can look more plump and full. I mean there might be a medical need for this I don't know about, but the bit I saw made it seem more about vanity.

LOVE your festive avatar! And yes, the lash stuff... really??? (Where's the "duh" smiley?)

:lol: I agree! What I don't get are those who wear them in hot summertime weather. Hmmmm? :eek: Pee-yuuuu! (Smelly feet!)

I don't know.....I think his cakes are, well, uninspired. I don't like his yelling and eye-rolling, and he's kind of a lousy "actor." (Though I know they're not supposed to be ACTING; it's reality TV.)

Plus, I do love Ace of Cakes, so maybe I"m just mentally comparing the two?

astrid

Ah--never seen Ace of Cakes. Very willing to believe there's someone better out there! :D