Menu

Starting PR4 Lesson planning

johnandtinagilbert

Okay, so I've decided if I don't stop all this baking, I may not be able to fit through the chimney on Christmas Eve. Instead, I'll head over to another source of pleasure...I'm gonna start lesson planning PR4 :drool5:.

I'll keep you updated. :D:auto:

Disk 1, weeks 1-5

Disk 2, weeks 6-8

Edited by johnandtinagilbert
linking multiple reviews

In a previous thread, you said that you were doing PR4 for 5th or 6th grade, correct?

Do you think that is typical for a child who starts at the beginning and goes through all of the levels? I had thought we'd be done with PR sometime in 4th grade so to think that we'll still be doing it in 5th or 6th throws me off a little.

Thank you!

In a previous thread, you said that you were doing PR4 for 5th or 6th grade, correct?

Do you think that is typical for a child who starts at the beginning and goes through all of the levels? I had thought we'd be done with PR sometime in 4th grade so to think that we'll still be doing it in 5th or 6th throws me off a little.

Thank you!

Yes, that's right. Yes, I do. You'll find that as the levels increase, so does the intensity of the program. There are many days where the grammar and writing portions are lengthy, so we will split them. I also find the pace gets pretty fast, so we will apply what we're learning across the board. As an example, my boys got stuck on week 24 of PR2, so instead of moving forward, we slowed down and applied what we were learning across subject lines. This gave us the opportunity to point out where they were stuck using in other places so they understood the application of the subject matter. When I saw the lightbulb click, we moved forward. Also, in level 3, the simple length of the grammar assignments increase. I'm a firm believer in no overkill for one day (after experiencing it regularly in another grammar program). I'd rather split the assignment and maintain love of learning. I used to huff about "love of learning" but as they get older, I realize how important it is to maintain. I find the slower pace is effective.

I also know from using The Latin Road, that I have yet to have a 5th grader who could use it and understand it. In my experience, it's better suited for Logic Stage students with a little maturity under their belts.

This brings me to adding Write Shop in middle school, to expose genre writing and apply all the wonderful tools they pick up in the PR series. It makes a lovely transition and addition to LR.

I am assuming you're wondering b/c your ds is 5 right now. Trust me. As grammar becomes more conceptual, slowing down will not be a bad thing or hinder him in any way. Having the whole in your hands and watching his brain develop through the levels will help this to make more sense.

Yes, that's right. Yes, I do. You'll find that as the levels increase, so does the intensity of the program. There are many days where the grammar and writing portions are lengthy, so we will split them. I also find the pace gets pretty fast, so we will apply what we're learning across the board. As an example, my boys got stuck on week 24 of PR2, so instead of moving forward, we slowed down and applied what we were learning across subject lines. This gave us the opportunity to point out where they were stuck using in other places so they understood the application of the subject matter. When I saw the lightbulb click, we moved forward. Also, in level 3, the simple length of the grammar assignments increase. I'm a firm believer in no overkill for one day (after experiencing it regularly in another grammar program). I'd rather split the assignment and maintain love of learning. I used to huff about "love of learning" but as they get older, I realize how important it is to maintain. I find the slower pace is effective.

I also know from using The Latin Road, that I have yet to have a 5th grader who could use it and understand it. In my experience, it's better suited for Logic Stage students with a little maturity under their belts.

This brings me to adding Write Shop in middle school, to expose genre writing and apply all the wonderful tools they pick up in the PR series. It makes a lovely transition and addition to LR.

I am assuming you're wondering b/c your ds is 5 right now. Trust me. As grammar becomes more conceptual, slowing down will not be a bad thing or hinder him in any way. Having the whole in your hands and watching his brain develop through the levels will help this to make more sense.

That makes perfect sense! I don't mind splitting up lessons and taking longer at all. I was more worried about completing a level and then having nothing to do until he was ready for the next level. So splitting it up and taking a longer time to do it sounds perfect.

Thanks so much for the response. :)

Okay, so I've decided if I don't stop all this baking, I may not be able to fit through the chimney on Christmas Eve. Instead, I'll head over to another source of pleasure...I'm gonna start lesson planning PR4 :drool5:.

I'll keep you updated. :D:auto:

I'm all ears! :lurk5:

:001_smile: Your reviews make me want to be my own student. I never learned this stuff!!!!!! Boy oh boy. It's hard to slog through Level One for some reason. I think people might drop out of PR before they get to the good stuff. Now, I need to follow my own advice and stick with it. :D

:001_smile: Your reviews make me want to be my own student. I never learned this stuff!!!!!! Boy oh boy. It's hard to slog through Level One for some reason. I think people might drop out of PR before they get to the good stuff. Now, I need to follow my own advice and stick with it. :D

I agree. PR1 is just the beginning. The program gets better and better and better. I think it's hard to get to Level 2 b/c PR is an AIO program, but Level 1, although a legitmate beginning level, isn't much grammar or what we consider "writing," so we get impatient and jump ship.

I actually had the opposite experience with other programs. I was happy with the slow reading instruction (perhaps b/c I didn't view them as AIO?) but as we went on, we all dreaded and dreaded-er and dreaded-est!

Just keep swimming. I'm so happy to Know (that I know) I have elementary LA taken care of forever! So happy:D

Okay ya'll :D. I'm from Oregon but it's fun to pretend I'm from Alabama or something.

How much Level One stuff does Mrs. Beers review in Level Two? What do you think the criteria would be for Level Two readiness?

His age/grade/reading/spelling level are totally Level Two material. We haven't tackled some of the later BC concepts in Level One. I'm thinking specifically of the suffixes stuff. But, I wonder if it is overkill for me to take him through all of the lists and even some of the BCs when he is spelling and reading so well (he tests in 5th grade for spelling; reads just fine but not sure of "level").

I started cherry picking words and asking him to spell them rather than making him spell through every list. Do they repeat some of the BCs in Level Two? Do we use some of the completed Level One BCs in Level Two? He's very intuitive and would/could easily complete some of the BCs in a sitting or just not need to (i.e. the sounds of er page, the l,s,f page, etc.) especially if we'll be revisiting those in detail in Level Two. I don't plan to accelerate anything in Level Two.

I finished the DVDs for Level One which gives me the knowledge I need to tackle the material or even go back and re-teach something. I'm seriously thinking about just ordering Level Two now and watching the beginning weeks to get a feel for what I need to do with Level One. I'm just not sure about what I'm doing . . . can you tell???:D

Okay ya'll :D. I'm from Oregon but it's fun to pretend I'm from Alabama or something.

How much Level One stuff does Mrs. Beers review in Level Two? What do you think the criteria would be for Level Two readiness?

His age/grade/reading/spelling level are totally Level Two material. We haven't tackled some of the later BC concepts in Level One. I'm thinking specifically of the suffixes stuff. But, I wonder if it is overkill for me to take him through all of the lists and even some of the BCs when he is spelling and reading so well (he tests in 5th grade for spelling; reads just fine but not sure of "level").

I started cherry picking words and asking him to spell them rather than making him spell through every list. Do they repeat some of the BCs in Level Two? Do we use some of the completed Level One BCs in Level Two? He's very intuitive and would/could easily complete some of the BCs in a sitting or just not need to (i.e. the sounds of er page, the l,s,f page, etc.) especially if we'll be revisiting those in detail in Level Two. I don't plan to accelerate anything in Level Two.

I finished the DVDs for Level One which gives me the knowledge I need to tackle the material or even go back and re-teach something. I'm seriously thinking about just ordering Level Two now and watching the beginning weeks to get a feel for what I need to do with Level One. I'm just not sure about what I'm doing . . . can you tell???:D

I'd give the final spelling test, make sure he marks and syllablizes (I don't think that is a word?), then spend a day each teaching the Building Codes. That way you have them to refer to for Level 2. You can cherry pick a couple of examples and put together your own "test" over the BC to make sure he's solid (or simply daily review as you add to the total BC). Then you have everything you need, without too much redundancy; especially considering there is some review in L2.

He's 8 right? That puts him in a nice place for level 2. Easy enough to start off encouraging him as the grammar and writing kick in, but also challenging enough as you move along to keep you happy :) Remember, the grammar and writing will pick up, so cherish the spelling review!

Just keep swimming!

I'd give the final spelling test, make sure he marks and syllablizes (I don't think that is a word?), then spend a day each teaching the Building Codes. That way you have them to refer to for Level 2. You can cherry pick a couple of examples and put together your own "test" over the BC to make sure he's solid (or simply daily review as you add to the total BC). Then you have everything you need, without too much redundancy; especially considering there is some review in L2.

He's 8 right? That puts him in a nice place for level 2. Easy enough to start off encouraging him as the grammar and writing kick in, but also challenging enough as you move along to keep you happy :) Remember, the grammar and writing will pick up, so cherish the spelling review!

Just keep swimming!

Tina, these are GREAT ideas. What final spelling test? I finished all of the training DVDs for Level One and there is no final test. :001_smile: Perhaps that is in Level Two? I could make up a test though . . . or teach the words and patterns I know will challenge him (i.e. could, would, should; people; leopard). I do have Level Three which has a variety of tests. I gave the first one to him which helped me place him level wise (5.1). He has a basic understanding of markings and of course that would be cemented by continuing with the spelling in Level Two.

Yes, he's 8 and I think he's a strong student academically. Very different from DS6 who will take things slow :001_smile:.

As far as syllable work is concerned I'm going to have the boys work through Explode the Code Book 4 which teaches syllabication. They love ETC and it's fairly painless. There is also syllable work in AAS Level 2 (and beyond) which I'm going to condense for him. I'm going to do a unit study on syllabication as much for my own education as for theirs. :001_smile: I've been studying up on that this week.

Tina, these are GREAT ideas. What final spelling test? I finished all of the training DVDs for Level One and there is no final test. :001_smile: Sorry for the short explanation. I mean go through tthe words and only work a little extra on words he needs misses. Make the "missed words" a final test. Essentially, that is the purpose of the L2 review, though...so maybe just work on the "not plumb and level words." Perhaps that is in Level Two? I could make up a test though . . . or teach the words and patterns I know will challenge him (i.e. could, would, should; people; leopard). I do have Level Three which has a variety of tests. I gave the first one to him which helped me place him level wise (5.1). He has a basic understanding of markings and of course that would be cemented by continuing with the spelling in Level Two.

Yes, he's 8 and I think he's a strong student academically. Very different from DS6 who will take things slow :001_smile:.

As far as syllable work is concerned I'm going to have the boys work through Explode the Code Book 4 which teaches syllabication. They love ETC and it's fairly painless. There is also syllable work in AAS Level 2 (and beyond) which I'm going to condense for him. I'm going to do a unit study on syllabication as much for my own education as for theirs. :001_smile: I've been studying up on that this week.

Sounds like your unit study will make a nice compliment to the Building Code study. It won't take long either. Then you can apply the skill in PR2 and when you hit the spelling review, adding your new skills in syllabication will make a nice "cementing" step for ds. Sounds good, Momma!

So glad I am reading this. I think I will skim the rest of level one for words ds11 might stumble with, teach the remaining bcs, and move on to level 2. He has the markings down, most of the bcs are familiar concepts to him, and I have been applying syllable rules from AAS as they apply to the spelling lists. He is half through L1. Level 2 is sitting on the shelf so I will finish the last two L1 dvds & start L2.

Ds8 needs to work through L1 in its entirety although, so far, he has handled two weeks of the schedule per calendar week.

DD6 will start the spelling lists soon.

So cool to be excited about LA. This is the 1st time in 10 years of hsing that has happened!

So glad I am reading this. I think I will skim the rest of level one for words ds11 might stumble with, teach the remaining bcs, and move on to level 2. He has the markings down, most of the bcs are familiar concepts to him, and I have been applying syllable rules from AAS as they apply to the spelling lists. He is half through L1. Level 2 is sitting on the shelf so I will finish the last two L1 dvds & start L2.

Ds8 needs to work through L1 in its entirety although, so far, he has handled two weeks of the schedule per calendar week.

So cool to be excited about LA. This is the 1st time in 10 years of hsing that has happened!

:001_smile::001_smile: Great! I love when we can all brainstorm together and share what we're doing. It's also wonderful to hear that you are EXCITED! Have you started MFW yet?? :001_smile::001_smile:

:001_smile: Thanks Tina. I got it now and that is a good idea. I'm going to start a master list of "not plumb and level words" for my own use. It is savvy to review those periodically anyway. Your ideas are excellent. I really appreciate you. :001_smile:
:) I am thrilled your finding your groove in PR. I like the plum and level list idea, Katrina. I may have to go back and make one of those for my schoolroom wall.

So glad I am reading this. I think I will skim the rest of level one for words ds11 might stumble with, teach the remaining bcs, and move on to level 2. He has the markings down, most of the bcs are familiar concepts to him, and I have been applying syllable rules from AAS as they apply to the spelling lists. He is half through L1. Level 2 is sitting on the shelf so I will finish the last two L1 dvds & start L2. WOO HOO! You'll continue getting the marking and syllable practice in PR, too, so why not!

I know what you mean. LA used to start with such a sigh around here and then we'd skip too many days, then we'd end up rushing the preposition study at the end of the book. It's nice to be motivated this far into the journey.

:001_smile::001_smile: Great! I love when we can all brainstorm together and share what we're doing.
Definitely!

:001_smile::001_smile: Great! I love when we can all brainstorm together and share what we're doing. It's also wonderful to hear that you are EXCITED! Have you started MFW yet?? :001_smile::001_smile:

Starting MFW next week. Excited about that, too. After hanging out here, I fee at peace with focusing on math & LA then doing MFW with no pressure. We are going to allow for rabbit trails and enjoy.

Starting MFW next week. Excited about that, too. After hanging out here, I fee at peace with focusing on math & LA then doing MFW with no pressure. We are going to allow for rabbit trails and enjoy.

I'm jealous. I miss the rabbit trails I used to have time to follow...oh, sigh. I had to make a revised schedule today and although it's not pretty, it's workable. Knowing I can slow down PR for my Little Leaguers helps a lot! It gives me an extra slot in the day to spend some much needed time with the Elders. In my dream world, they would all be about 3 years older and completely independent, but alas, reality dictates otherwise!

Knowing I can slow down PR for my Little Leaguers helps a lot!

This really helps me, too, although for different reasons. I've found that my DD, while she thoroughly enjoys PR1, needs a little more review of words than some kids do. I schedule in more review for her and that works well for us. Also, borrowing from SWR, I've made and laminated flashcards for every spelling word. Once we cover a week's spelling list, I add those cards to the pile and she reads them regularly. In general I'm not a flashcard person; these homemade cards and the phonogram cards are the only flashcards we do. I think this really, really helps my dd's reading fluency, though. I also believe it helps keep the spelling fresher in her memory, so she won't forget the more unusual words or the ones for which multiple phonograms could apply.

Also, borrowing from SWR, I've made and laminated flashcards for every spelling word. Once we cover a week's spelling list, I add those cards to the pile and she reads them regularly.

AAS uses this strategy with their Word Cards. Good work Mama! :001_smile: I'm filing that away in case I need to use it with PR in the future. I can see using it for those tricky "not plumb and level" words regardless of my child's ability to spell and/or read them.

I wish you guys would stop talking up PR....I wanted so bad to get this for ds/9 this year but couldn't because of money and now, well, we are both lost. I now find that he is too ahead to try and start PR1 now and ds/10 could use some of it too I suppose. I wish I had just bit the bullet and bought it.

I wish you guys would stop talking up PR....I wanted so bad to get this for ds/9 this year but couldn't because of money and now, well, we are both lost. I now find that he is too ahead to try and start PR1 now and ds/10 could use some of it too I suppose. I wish I had just bit the bullet and bought it.

Maybe someone will sell it used soon :001_unsure: Try a post in the WTB section.

Lisa,

Where exactly is DS9 "at"? He may not be too far ahead. We all love talking about PR and "making it work". :001_smile: Even if you had to save up for it I think it may be worth it depending upon your needs and goals for your boys. If you're inclined to, please share what you mean by "we are both lost" and where both of your boys are academically. . . unless you have a different path you're about to embark on.

:grouphug: on the finances and the "being lost" part.

Lisa,

Where exactly is DS9 "at"? He may not be too far ahead. We all love talking about PR and "making it work". :001_smile: Even if you had to save up for it I think it may be worth it depending upon your needs and goals for your boys. If you're inclined to, please share what you mean by "we are both lost" and where both of your boys are academically. . . unless you have a different path you're about to embark on.

:grouphug: on the finances and the "being lost" part.

I will do my best to explain what I mean. Caleb went to ps last year for 2nd grade for various reasons. When they saw that he was not reading they put him in a special class-30min each day-and supposedly taught him to read. Yes, he could read books at his grade level that had controlled vocabulary in them but he could not sound out words. I found out quickly this summer that they hadn't taught him phonics (which they said they were doing) it was more of a sight reading course. He still didn't know all the sounds of all the letters when he came home.

So, I bought Phonics Pathways and AAS to do with him but we have since dropped AAS and are just doing PP. He still has problems remembering what sounds certain letters make (I can't remember off hand which ones they are). He struggles to put sounds together still and hesitates alot, second guessing himself even when he is right.

He is reading most books that are at a 1st - 3rd grade reading level, but some of the words he just guesses at. He doesn't know that and "e" at the end of the word means the vowel sound long, that when two vowels get together such as "ea" the first vowel says its name and the second is silent, and it goes on.

I don't want him to be stumbling the rest of the next several years learning to sound out words by trial and error. Spelling is another thing he can't do and he gets utterly frustrated. I sold AAS because if he can't read why even have him spelling yet.

Samuel, ds/10 reads ok and spells superbly but has some of the same issues that Caleb has although not as extreme. I went through alot of phonics programs with Sam and never really stuck with one. Once he learned to read fairly well we just did ETC and I dropped anymore phonics with him. Now, I am finding that he really doesn't know the rules and struggles to sound out long, difficult words.

I dropped the ball and I know it. But, I refuse to fail them and want to get them back on track. I am getting my student loan money on February 3 and can purchase PR when I get it then, although I hate to wait until then but I really have no choice.

Does this help any?

sshhhh I started dd at 9....

I wouldn't worry about waiting an extra month. You can start the first part of PR without purchasing the kit. The first few weeks concentrate on memorizing the sounds of the phonograms, which you can look up online if you're not sure. If he doesn't know the sounds of all the letters, just focus on the single letters. That could take a couple of weeks right there. That's what I would do (not that I'm a pro or anything, lol).

I wouldn't worry about waiting an extra month. You can start the first part of PR without purchasing the kit. The first few weeks concentrate on memorizing the sounds of the phonograms, which you can look up online if you're not sure. If he doesn't know the sounds of all the letters, just focus on the single letters. That could take a couple of weeks right there. That's what I would do (not that I'm a pro or anything, lol).

Yes!! Start having them memorize the phonograms now (I'm sure there is a list of them somewhere on the internet) and then when PR 1 is in your hands you'll be able to start in Wk. 5. You would not need to purchase an extra set of student materials for your older child. Just have them copy the building codes onto lined paper.

We started with PR 1 with a 10yo, 8yo and I'm teaching my 6yo how to read using PR.

It is going really well and I'm so thankful I gave it a try!

Level 4 sounds great! We are still very much enjoying PR1. The only thing my son doesn't love is having to illustrate all of the story pages. He feels that he's not very good at art so he has a hard time getting started with it.

It looks like we will finish PR1 sometime in May (June if we take our time). I plan to do some of the SWR lists over the summer using the markings from PR. We'll then start up PR2 in the fall. Yay!! :)

Thanks for sharing so much info about level 4! :)

Yes!! Start having them memorize the phonograms now (I'm sure there is a list of them somewhere on the internet) and then when PR 1 is in your hands you'll be able to start in Wk. 5. You would not need to purchase an extra set of student materials for your older child. Just have them copy the building codes onto lined paper.

We started with PR 1 with a 10yo, 8yo and I'm teaching my 6yo how to read using PR.

It is going really well and I'm so thankful I gave it a try!

Thanks for the encouragement. So you really don't think starting them at 9 and 10 (Samuel will turn 11 in March) with PR1 is too late? Should I drop the grammar and spelling I was using with Samuel? I was using ETC with Caleb; should I drop it?

Thanks for the encouragement. So you really don't think starting them at 9 and 10 (Samuel will turn 11 in March) with PR1 is too late? Should I drop the grammar and spelling I was using with Samuel? I was using ETC with Caleb; should I drop it?

No, I really don't. I'm pretty sure Tina started her daughter in PR1 at 9, I started my DD at 10, son at 8.5 and it's working well for us!! We accelerated through PR1, but will take PR 2 a little slower.

It is working *really* great for my DS (6yo) for his K year. I am using it to teach him to read, by teaching sounds and spelling first. It is going so well.

I just started my 11, 8, and 6 dc. It is not too late. I am accelerating the older two at their own speeds. I chose to drop all other LA and focus on getting up to speed in PR. Others would suggest that you not drop writing or grammar. I tend to think that our past grammar instruction will be enough until we get back to it later in PR. I have failed at writing instruction up to this point and considered adding WWE, but decided to just have them do some copy work & free writing until PR gets to writing instruction. I want to make LA as simple as possible and take advantage of the AIO aspect.

You should evaluate your kids abilities & your goals in deciding wether or not to drop other LA.

Level 4 sounds great! We are still very much enjoying PR1. The only thing my son doesn't love is having to illustrate all of the story pages. He feels that he's not very good at art so he has a hard time getting started with it. :)
This is a great time to teach him how to use copy and paste on the computer or Clip art in MSWord (or s/t similar). Have him use fotosearch.com (free stuff) and find pictures to print to illustrate. I have a couple of perfectionists who don't draw well and therefore don't like it either.

There are also some easy to follow, lower level how to draw books that focus on shapes. We use these 2x per week with the boys and they do very well..even my 5yo

I agree with this:
I just started my 11, 8, and 6 dc. It is not too late. I am accelerating the older two at their own speeds. I chose to drop all other LA and focus on getting up to speed in PR. Others would suggest that you not drop writing or grammar. I tend to think that our past grammar instruction will be enough until we get back to it later in PR. I have failed at writing instruction up to this point and considered adding WWE, but decided to just have them do some copy work & free writing until PR gets to writing instruction. I want to make LA as simple as possible and take advantage of the AIO aspect.

You should evaluate your kids abilities & your goals in deciding wether or not to drop other LA.

PR is appropriate for a 6th grader imho. My dd, who zoomed through 1, flew through 2, and is keeping regular pace in 3 after going a little fast in beginning and now going as instructed will finish PR4 mid to 2/3 6th grade. This will give us 6-8 to finish all of Write Shop and start LR in late 6th or beginning 7th --- right on time.

If your older child just needs spelling, then just do that part. If he needs grammar, too, then drop anything dc is dreading and get movin' in PR. You won't need student materials if you're going really fast, especially for level 1, which is Primarily phonics and spelling, with a dash of grammar. The true grammar study starts in Level 2.

This is a great time to teach him how to use copy and paste on the computer or Clip art in MSWord (or s/t similar). Have him use fotosearch.com (free stuff) and find pictures to print to illustrate. I have a couple of perfectionists who don't draw well and therefore don't like it either.

There are also some easy to follow, lower level how to draw books that focus on shapes. We use these 2x per week with the boys and they do very well..even my 5yo

Thanks for the feedback on this! We do have this Draw Write Now set and he pulls it out whenever animals are part of the illustrations. We're going on reader #4 and I keep thinking that over time his resistance to illustrating the readers will lessen. I'll have to think about the clip art options. One one hand I like that it would be easier for him to get it done. On the other hand, I really like having his drawings in the books. Also, the printing capabilities are turned off on his computer because he'd use a ream of paper and all of the ink on one day if allowed to print at will. Maybe we can do a clip art book every once in awhile.

Over Christmas break, we did a Christmas book that he illustrated with stickers and it turned out pretty cute. It really let him focus on writing the story and not having to worry about drawing at the same time.

ETA: I just played around on fotosearch and love the idea of him typing in the search terms to find appropriate illustrations. I think we'll try it with book #4. I'll report back and let you know how it goes. :D

• 3 weeks later...