Menu

HOD or MFW for Middle Ages? (X-Post in Logic)

Roxy Roller

Will you please compare/contrast these two programs with positive/negative points?

I will be doing the Middle Ages next year with my 5DC- 1st-7th Graders. I really need to keep my kids on the same history cycle(for my own sanity), and we love doing it together. I want to have appropriate literature books for each to read on their own. I will also have my older two outlining. I understand HOD has amazing notebook pages to go with the Middle Ages, but I cannot find a sample anywhere. I really need something that is open and go for history/literature, and I want a program that is doable on a 4 day schedule.

Will you please compare/contrast these two programs with positive/negative points?

I will be doing the Middle Ages next year with my 5DC- 1st-7th Graders. I really need to keep my kids on the same history cycle(for my own sanity), and we love doing it together. I want to have appropriate literature books for each to read on their own. I will also have my older two outlining. I understand HOD has amazing notebook pages to go with the Middle Ages, but I cannot find a sample anywhere. I really need something that is open and go for history/literature, and I want a program that is doable on a 4 day schedule.

First, I'm all :bigear:.

I am starting MFW RtR in January. I haven't used HOD before, but I considered it a great deal before making the decision to use MFW. I used MFW when my dss were younger. We did ECC and Adventures.

It is my understanding that MFW is much easier to use when combining grades. From what I scoped out and saw of HOD this is true.

MFW does the book basket thing. It works out well especially when you can't afford to spend hundreds on books. If you go to the MFW forum, you'll find specific info on each year of MFW. I assume that you are looking at the RtR year? If so,there is a thread that's all about the books that folks bought in addition to the book basket books to have on hand for their older children. I can't remember them all off the top of my head, but I am looking at those threads and considering my options as well.

I really like the layout of MFW's TM. I like the grid format and that everything is right in front of me. HOD is set up a bit differently.

What I love about both programs is that they are both godly in their materials.

I also chose MFW over HOD because MFW goes through high school and HOD does not (yet). I like that I can see everything that is available now from MFW and I'm not waiting to see what choices are made for me with HOD.

And, my guys are aging OUT of HOD....

Hope I've made sense!

Blessings,

I use and love HoD. The teacher's guide is super-easy to use for both student and teacher, and the resources they use are fabulous. I'll be using RTR myself for next year.

However. . .

HoD is written to be customized to a child's academic level. RTR is written for the 5th and 6th grade level (extensions to 7th and 8th grade). While you could combine your children, it would be more work for you to adapt to the different ages than what the program intends. So if combining is an important feature for you, then MFW will probably be your best bet since it is already written that way.

(For glimpses of the RTR notebook pages, check out the "Weekly Check-In" board on the HoD forum. There are some samples of students' work in RTR and the notebooking.)

Edited by birchbark