Menu

FLL ?s, duration & copywork

shinyhappypeople

How many months did it take you to complete FLL 1?

This is for a bright 2nd grader with almost no previous grammar exposure (just a couple of months of GWG with almost no retention).

My thought is to start her at the very beginning (book 1) and move quickly through it to give her a strong foundation and then, if FLL is a good fit, move more slowly through the other books.

One more question: How important are the copywork assignments? She'll be using WWE (level 1) for writing, and I don't want to overload her. She doesn't enjoy writing on demand, so I want to make that aspect as easy as possible.

Thank you :001_smile:

There's only 100 lessons in FLL1, and it's easy enough to skip any writing (which is what we're doing for the same reason as you with WWE). We're taking it really slow as I want it to last through the summer as well, so we're doing about 2 lessons a week, however I think it would be really easy to buzz through it quickly as there is quite a bit of repitition. You could probably get through it in 4 months with a bright second grader.

I ran through FLL 1/2 from August to December along with WWE 1. My DS5 didn't have a a problem keeping up. I didn't do the copywork from FLL as DS was doing the writing in WWE (as well as some other subjects) and that seemed plenty.

We are doing WWE2 along with MCT Island series starting in January.

I think with a 2nd grader you could move through the first 100 lessons fairly quickly, like a couple months. The first 40 lessons are about nouns, and even in kinder my son had memorized the stuff by about the 3rd lesson on nouns, and could pick out nouns very easily.

You could even skip the picture narrations and story narrations if you are covering narration in other subjects, just take it down to the core grammar concepts before moving on to level 2 and you'll be fine!

My dd8 (now) did FLL1 in about 3 months during summer of finishing 2nd grade to going into 3rd grade. We switched to classical then, so she had catch up to do. We would do about 2 lesson everyday and she would do the dictation exercises and copywork on them along with any extra activities they gave. She really enjoyed it and didn't complain about having to do several lessons at once. :D