Menu

My mom is on her way *sigh*

She's bringing us Christmas gifts. I'm not surprised at the turn of events we're having. Every single year, she talks to me on the phone about what she can get everyone. She gets excited about knowing exactly what we all want. Then just before Christmas, she hasn't yet purchased anything and ends up doing something totally different. This year, she went to Old Navy because she saw their ad for $8 hoodies. So she calls me and asks everyone sizes. She got us all gifts from Old Navy. My DH is 51 and I'm 42. We don't fit into Old Navy clothes. Dd12 hates Old Navy because the clothes are all form fitting. Dd18 is very particular about the types of hoodies she wears. Ds14 wears only regular tshirts that are solid colors. So I know I'm going to have to return every gift, yet we'll have to smile and act excited about these gifts.

I just don't get it. I made very inexpensive suggestions so it can't be a matter of money. This is very typical of her and it drives me insane. This is the woman who bought me a fresh pineapple and large can of assorted nuts for my birthday. I know she has some mental issues so I try to take it in stride, but ugh.. it just makes me want to scream.

Oh well, at least my house is clean.

She's bringing us Christmas gifts. I'm not surprised at the turn of events we're having. Every single year, she talks to me on the phone about what she can get everyone. She gets excited about knowing exactly what we all want. Then just before Christmas, she hasn't yet purchased anything and ends up doing something totally different. This year, she went to Old Navy because she saw their ad for $8 hoodies. So she calls me and asks everyone sizes. She got us all gifts from Old Navy. My DH is 51 and I'm 42. We don't fit into Old Navy clothes. Dd12 hates Old Navy because the clothes are all form fitting. Dd18 is very particular about the types of hoodies she wears. Ds14 wears only regular tshirts that are solid colors. So I know I'm going to have to return every gift, yet we'll have to smile and act excited about these gifts.

I just don't get it. I made very inexpensive suggestions so it can't be a matter of money. This is very typical of her and it drives me insane. This is the woman who bought me a fresh pineapple and large can of assorted nuts for my birthday. I know she has some mental issues so I try to take it in stride, but ugh.. it just makes me want to scream.

Oh well, at least my house is clean.

:grouphug:

It's the thought that counts I would say.

Dh's parents have not bothered to acknowledge Dd or ourselves other than with the obligatory Christmas card.

MIL only wants to purchase gifts to acknowledge Dh's sibling/family because they are her "favorites."

Sadly her behavior/attitude has caused a lot of stress, strife and hurt feelings over the years, so our family now stays home for the holidays.

Edited by kalphs

You can exhange (But not on the 26th lol) the hoodies for undies or socks. They also have plain T'shirts. Just buy up and sleep in them.

She could be bringing you a pet. (It happens...or worse yet, loud toys).

Hoodies are easier. :D And very, very quiet.

Edited by LibraryLover

I can't help but say this, but I'd give anything to have my mom show up with a lousy gift. She passed away 7 years ago.

:grouphug:

My parents both loved Christmas.

Dad would do his "secret shopping" and Mom would bake, bake, bake to prepare for the holiday.

Sadly Dd did not have the opportunity to know Dad, but she had five wonderful years with my mom.

She's bringing us Christmas gifts. I'm not surprised at the turn of events we're having. Every single year, she talks to me on the phone about what she can get everyone. She gets excited about knowing exactly what we all want.

Yeah, why does she waste your time?? :grouphug: I could understand off-the-mark gifts, but not with her seeking out the advanced info. Maybe it gets mistranslated in her head. Just think, it's probably not out of evil intent, though...but regardless, more :grouphug: .

Well, it was a funny day at least. My mom bought matching fleece jackets for my 2 daughters and me, and then matching shirts for my ds and DH. :lol: You should have seen the look on my girls' faces when we opened our gifts at the same time and all held up identical jackets. I couldn't help but laugh aloud and ask my mom why she would do that. She said she thought it would be cute. However, she did laugh with us. She also had the receipt, anticipating we would want to exchange some of the items. I love my mom, really I do. We had a nice visit.

Well, it was a funny day at least. My mom bought matching fleece jackets for my 2 daughters and me, and then matching shirts for my ds and DH. :lol: You should have seen the look on my girls' faces when we opened our gifts at the same time and all held up identical jackets. I couldn't help but laugh aloud and ask my mom why she would do that. She said she thought it would be cute. However, she did laugh with us. She also had the receipt, anticipating we would want to exchange some of the items. I love my mom, really I do. We had a nice visit.

This will always be a Christmas you will remember.

I'm glad you had a nice visit with your mother.