Menu

what is steel cut oatmeal??

Have you ever seen an oat groat? They are sliced into smaller chunks for steel cut oats. Steel cut oats take longer to cook, but have a texture very different from rolled oats. I usually bring the pot of water and oats to a boil, then turn off the heat and take a shower. When the kids wake up, I start cooking the oats again, and they finish quickly.

Steel cut oats are the first rendition of oats for lack of a better term. Steel cut are chunky pieces. Rolled oats are steel cut oats which have been flattened. Quick cooking are rolled oats that have been chopped up finer and minute oats are quick cooking that have been pulverized.

Each time you refine the product you loose nutrition, so therefore the steel cuts have the most nutrition.

The oats are less processed. Steel cut oats are just the whole oat that has been cut. Oatmeal has been steamed, then pressed flat to allow for quicker cooking. They lose some of thier nutrtional value (because they were cooked once already) and I think the outer husk in the process. Steel cut oats do go rancid faster because they still have all the natural oils (like whole wheat flour).

IMO they taste better. I hate, hate, hate regular oatmeal. To me it is tasteless and has the texture of school paste. No matter how it is dressed up I just can't eat it. Steel cut oats on the other hand have a nutty taste and texture and are slightly chewy. It is the only kind I will eat as a hot cereal. Pretty much regular oatmeal is only used for cookies or granola for hubby in our house.

Just a wee FYI, if into a bowl you put oats covered with milk and then the bowl into the fridge at night, in the morning they'll be soft and done. Then, just a minute on the stove to warm them up and you're done. What was once a 45 min breakfast b/c a 5 minute breakfast when I learned that little trick.

I've tried the crockpot recipe and get good oatmeal with a stuck on mess. With the overnight-in-the-fridge method, I get good oatmeal with no stick.

The only trick is remembering to do it.

Just a wee FYI, if into a bowl you put oats covered with milk and then the bowl into the fridge at night, in the morning they'll be soft and done. Then, just a minute on the stove to warm them up and you're done. What was once a 45 min breakfast b/c a 5 minute breakfast when I learned that little trick.

I've tried the crockpot recipe and get good oatmeal with a stuck on mess. With the overnight-in-the-fridge method, I get good oatmeal with no stick.

good tip...I just read about the crock pot method...I actually like this one better...thanks.

That sounds wonderful, thank you.