Menu

Homeschool question for those who live in 2 states.

I am wondering what do you do for homeschooling when you live in 2 states for the year? I know for taxes, we would pay which ever state we spend the most days in residence. However, which state do you pick to register homeschooling when you are unsure which state you will be spending more time in until the end of the calendar year? The reason I ask is one of these states is low regulation and the other is high regulation when it comes to homeschooling. I want to scrupulously follow the letter of the law:)

Any advice?

I had a friend who lived in two states (pre-kids) and I know for tax purposes, they needed to pick which state they were going to live in the most. (In other words, it wasn't just a matter of adding up the days at the end of the year and seeing which state "won." They had to pick a state and then make sure they spent more days there.)

If possible, that's what I'd do. I'd pick the state you wanted to declare as your primary state, make sure you spent more days there, and then do all paperwork (taxes, car registration, voter registration, home school registration, etc.) in that state.

If you mean you go live between two homes (going back and forth), you would need to follow the laws of the state of your primary residence.

If you mean you are moving to another state during the year, you would follow the laws of the state where you live, switching to the new state's laws when you get there.

If you mean you go live between two homes (going back and forth), you would need to follow the laws of the state of your primary residence.

If you mean you are moving to another state during the year, you would follow the laws of the state where you live, switching to the new state's laws when you get there.

:iagree:

If you were registering your children for public school they would want to see a drivers license, car registration and possibly utility bills (although I assume you have those for both) showing residence. This is also how colleges determine in-state tuition. So, whatever location you have that paperwork for is probably the one you need to be homeschooling in.

I know around here that could be a quandry for people. NJ is a no regulation homeschool state but we pay more in car insurance than anyplace but Mass. and many people try to use out-of-state addresses to get around that. PA is much easier with the car insurance and registration laws (and probably taxes) but they require a lot more information if you are homeschooling.

This.

We own homes in two states, but MN is considered our primary residence for tax purposes, so we follow the MN homeschool law.

The tricky thing is that I am unsure which state we will spend more time in. Dh could be spending more time in one state than ds and I this upcoming year. Our accountant gave me the impression that you have to tally up the days to determine residence which we are doing this year. Could you theoretically end up spending less time in your primary residence state on year? Do you just decide before hand and make sure that you spend more time in one state than the other? It is very confusing to me.

I appreciate all of the tips so far:)

The tricky thing is that I am unsure which state we will spend more time in. Dh could be spending more time in one state than ds and I this upcoming year. Our accountant gave me the impression that you have to tally up the days to determine residence which we are doing this year. Could you theoretically end up spending less time in your primary residence state on year? Do you just decide before hand and make sure that you spend more time in one state than the other? It is very confusing to me.

I appreciate all of the tips so far:)

When we bounced around we had a "permanent address." That was the place we'd chosen as our home base, so to speak. If it's so close that you would have to literally count the days, then I believe you can choose one as your permanent address (this would be the address you use for your driver's license for instant). Whichever you choose for your permanent address should probably jive with your taxes, but I'm guessing exceptions happen all the time. Military people I have known have lived far from their permanent address for quite some time and not had issues. In that case, enroll in the school district for your permanent address.