Menu

Saw my 1st nativity scene of the year today

In the 'why do non-christians celebrate Christmas' thread, I talked about how Christmas just doesn't seem religious anymore. I thought I'd post because today I saw my first outside nativity scene and it was in front of a house. The only church decoration I've seen is a purple cloth on a cross that is permanently outside the church. Even though I'm not religious, I'll admit I'm kind of sad that there isn't more of a religious tone to the holiday. I love the traditions of religion and I'm just surprised that more isn't being done to spread the season, so to speak.

In the 'why do non-christians celebrate Christmas' thread, I talked about how Christmas just doesn't seem religious anymore. I thought I'd post because today I saw my first outside nativity scene and it was in front of a house. The only church decoration I've seen is a purple cloth on a cross that is permanently outside the church. Even though I'm not religious, I'll admit I'm kind of sad that there isn't more of a religious tone to the holiday. I love the traditions of religion and I'm just surprised that more isn't being done to spread the season, so to speak.

Huh - I'm surprised, especially as it looks like you're down south, which I think of as being a more religious area of the country. I'm up here in the relatively secular northeast, and we have a nativity set on the public town common (and a menorah on the other end), and there are lots of nativities set up in front of both churches and homes. A couple of churches around here also have "living nativities" you can go visit.

Huh - I'm surprised, especially as it looks like you're down south, which I think of as being a more religious area of the country. I'm up here in the relatively secular northeast, and we have a nativity set on the public town common (and a menorah on the other end), and there are lots of nativities set up in front of both churches and homes. A couple of churches around here also have "living nativities" you can go visit.

We have one set up downtown, one on top of the Fire Hall, and one on top of a huge office building. There have also been a few living nativities advertised (although we have yet to go to one). The local IHOP has something about thanking Joseph and Mary for the best Christmas present ever on their sign board. It's definitely very Christmassy around here :)

I have seen them everywhere. There's the people whose only outdoor decorations are a string of lights and some kind of Nativity. From the inflatable, to the light up plastic, to the gorgeous wood cut outs with a spot light trained on them. There's also a couple that are part of a huge lights display that has everything from Shrek, trees w/faces, the aforementioned TSO light show, and so on.

One that starts with cutouts of shepherds pointing to a star on the owner's roof, then the manger scene, and finally Mary holding the baby Jesus while riding a donkey being led by Joseph.

There's also window clings, angels, light up crosses, a couple of wooden crosses with spotlights, and lots of Jesus Is the Reason signs.

There's also been a living Nativity. So it might just be a regional thing.

I get a little :confused1: confused at the Nativity scene that includes a kneeling Santa though.

Huh - I'm surprised, especially as it looks like you're down south, which I think of as being a more religious area of the country.

I know. That's what puzzles me greatly. I don't even see signs in front of churches that have any Christmas message.

I did some googling and found a Catholic church nearby doing a live nativity scene today. But all the other events I found appear to be secular. I've never been to a live nativity scene before.