Menu

What is your dh getting for Christmas?

My dh refuses to tell me or the kids anything he wants for Christmas. I'm a little ticked (sorry, don't want to husband-bash!). But he it looks like he is going to get some Starbucks cards under the tree.

If I buy him books, he won't read them (like most of us, he likes to pick his own books). If I buy him clothes, other than the very standard dress shirts, he won't wear them (again, he insists on picking his own). I already checked the concert schedule of the only 3 bands I could think of that he might like to see - nothing in our area on the schedule.

??

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband is getting a nook and some computer games that I know he wants. He is very hard to buy for, but I always get him something. Would your husband be hurt to get very little or nothing for Christmas? It seems unfair to have the expectation for gifts but refuse to give ideas...

Oh wow, we could use a device that transfers tapes to mp3s!

My dh is getting a flannel shirt, and some board game parts he wanted...it's called Icehouse and there are little plastic pyramid things. I am not entirely sure what it is but I know he's wanted one for a while and he is going to be very surprised! In his stocking will be a set of paring knives.

He's pretty easy to shop for, really. I'm lucky that way. :)

OP--does your dh have an amazon.com wish list? Sometimes that's the only way I have any idea what a person might like.

A remote control car :) He's very much a big kid, but I think it's really fun looking! The guy at the store said it was like one of the things on Star Trek, which he likes to watch with our ds. Anyways, this thing is a 4 wheel drive car, it carries four cans around, and also can transform into a boat and go on water.

The kids are getting remote control cars from my mom, so he'll join in the fun and the kids won't have to share with him!

Fancy coffee and roasting lessons from a local roaster, fancy loose leaf tea, 2 boxes of cherry cordials, and new flannel pajama pants. We are only doing stocking stuffers this year (except the roasting lessons, which are actually free - the guy does them for anyone thinking about getting a home roaster). If we have anything extra after Christmas and there is a good sale I may get him a new electric shaver.

My dh is getting:

Back to the Future Trilogy & Iron Man 2 DVDs

A pair of pajama pants

A card game

For the garage:

Drywall square

A filter for his shop vac

A soldering gun

Offset straight snips (he was very particular about this.)

Some clamps

Mechanics gloves

He got a professional-grade paint sprayer, a professional-grade tile saw, t-shirts, socks, some "gently used" games for his PSP, a pair of shorts and the Firefly complete series on DVD.

I have not had an issue of figuring out what to buy for my dh.

My pre-pubescent boys... that's another story. I *hate* buying for teenage boys.

...Would your husband be hurt to get very little or nothing for Christmas? It seems unfair to have the expectation for gifts but refuse to give ideas...

He says he wouldn't...but...the kids would feel bad, and I would feel bad. Plus my parents want to know - they are willing to spend up to about $150 on him!

Thanks for the ideas posted so far. The wine & chocolate idea wouldn't work for hubby, but it made me think of something else. He likes to spend more money on dates than I do - I am always trying to drag him on free hikes & such :) - so maybe I will get him a restaurant card for a "date night" restaurant.

He gets to download the new Lara Croft video game to play with the kids. I think it was $12 or somewhere around there.

We're broke and Christmas is minimal this year, but he really doesn't care about presents anyway. He honestly does not care if he gets something or not. :confused: Still I try to get him something nice--usually it's a Leatherman or other little gadget.

A vow from me that I will clean out the garage, organize it and try harder to keep it cleaned up. It is truly the most horrible mess I've ever seen...

PS. Well, not the most horrible... but you would be horribly sickened if I told you the most horrible mess... (I will say, it wasn't MY doing, though!)

A dye to load 44's with his new used reloader, some choc. covered cherries, I helped my mom with a couple of sailing CD's, a watch from our college (which may be late), a bunch of earl grey tea that he can use for ice tea.

I'll probably buy him a couple of pairs of jeans for his birthday in 1 1/2 months.

Shhh!! I'm here watching for MomsintheGarden's response. :bigear:

This year I got him 2 Sesame Street collection DVDs.
How old is your husband? :001_huh:
In his stocking will be a set of paring knives.
Points IN, please!
The latest Veggie Tales. It is their version of It's A Wonderful Life. He has [almost] every version of this movie ever made. It's his favorite. :D
Mine, too! I watched "It's a Meaningful Life" on Netflix with the children this morning. It was pretty good!

Does he have a hobby? My dh restores cars and smokes cigars so between those two things I can usually find something for him.

This year he just got a new Dremel for his 12/1 birthday. For Christmas he's getting a John MacArthur book, new valve covers and air cleaner:D, new fuzzy slippers, super dark chocolate, that new socket tool that spins.

He'll go sit happily in a corner with his chocolates and car parts I think.

Dh makes a wish list at Amazon. He doesn't put nearly as many things on it as I put on mine, but it still helps. This year I got him 2 Sesame Street collection DVDs.

How old is your husband? :001_huh:

He's 37. He's trying to relive his childhood. ;) Sesame Street, 3 2 1 Contact, Electric Company, etc.

Edited by gardening momma

My DH is getting:

Corner Gas Season 6

King of the Hill Season 3

Seinfeld card game

charging mat

sweater

Garmin GPS

A book about little known facts

homemade Chex mix

homemade chocolate kiss with peanut butter inside

and I knitted him the Jayne hat he wanted from Firefly:

http://redshirtknitting.com/pdfs/JayneHat.pdf

Well, this year we agreed to not exchange gifts which translates to I would not purchase him anything. I don't he has gotten me anything now for.....don't know how long.

I did purchase 3 flannel shirts for my youngest two to give to him. He will ware them and needs them.

My dh is getting:

camel cashmere topcoat

black cashmere topcoat

a few cashmere sweaters

a few merino wool sweaters

two cashmere scarves (one to go with each coat)

black leather gloves (to go with black coat)

brown leather gloves (to go with camel coat)

about 10 DVD sets (they were on sale at Target for 8.99 each!)

new computer mouse

a fancy hoo-ha lense for his digital SLR camera (I knew which one he wanted, so I ordered it, but I don't really know anything about it.)

and probably a few other things I haven't thought of yet. His birthday and Christmas are only a few weeks apart, so I already gave him the really cool stuff. I should have saved the new laptop for Christmas, but he kept looking at them in the stores and acting like he might buy one. :glare: He does that to me all the time before Christmas -- I'm all excited because I bought him something great, and about 3 days before Christmas, he comes home with the exact. same. thing. :banghead:

I just know he's going to come home with a new coat between now and Christmas.

And then I'll have to kill him. :glare:

That's why I saved all of my receipts. Because once I kill him, I can get cash back for all of his presents and buy a little something for myself. ;)

Cat

My husband finally told us what he wanted this year. I guess he got tired of getting gifts he never uses. So he's getting a magnifying mirror (he's old and blind, LOL); a case of Honey Brown (it's chillin' in the garage); and a gas blower so that he's not tied down to a cord any longer....

From Santa, he's getting an ergonomic snow shovel that I think he forgot he asked for, a gizmo to help him know how far to pull his truck into the garage, a compact tie rack, and other little stuff that he likes, such as cookies, etc....

My dh is getting the Cataclysm upgrade to World of Warcraft (yes, we are gamers), three books he mentioned being interested in reading, and a couple of the 'family' wii game gifts were chosen with him in mind. I was knitting him a scarf to go with the new coat I got him for his birthday in November, but the cat got into my yarn..........and now I am too irritated to rewind it all and start over.

Some long johns

"An American Almanac"

a pocket knife set

"Princess Bride" dvd

Husqvarna 460 chain saw

a Smith & Wesson 442

and some stocking stuffers from Harbor Freight

Ok, am I the only one who noticed "Princess Bride" among all of the macho gifts? ;)

Of course, I would never joke about it to his face. After all, he's going to want to try out that new gun...

Cat

DH is impossible to buy for. His only real hobby is football and he already has season tickets to our town's NFL team. And he has shirts, hats, and other things with the logo on them.

I got him a sleeping bag. He's 6 foot 4, we camp a lot, and we've had trouble finding a bag that he can fit in. So I did some searching and found him one.

I also got him pens. Two whole boxes LOL. He'll have like 40 something pens. He always says his disappear off of his desk. Now he'll have plenty LOL.

I got him 5 t-shirts from Aeropostale. He's in need of some casual t-shirts just to wear around the house and on errands around town.

Other than that, I have nothing. He always tells me not to get him anything, but I can't do that.

Ok, am I the only one who noticed "Princess Bride" among all of the macho gifts? ;)
Are you, in any way, trying to imply that Westley (the Dread Pirate Roberts), Inigo Montoya or Fezzik are, in any way, not macho? Not to mention fighting, fencing, betrayal, revenge, war! ;) Edited by RegGuheert

Shhh!! I'm here watching for MomsintheGarden's response. :bigear:

!

Momsinthegarden says Nice Try, but no cigar....Or at least I'm saying it for her!:lol:

ETA: dh is getting a new gas grill (he's making steak on it now), some small tools that needed replacing, and a new watch. We are also getting each other some patio furniture for the deck- probably sometime this spring, when the stores are carrying it again. :P

Mine loves his expresso and likes his beans to be fresh, so I bought him a behmore coffee roaster. He wished very hard for it. Fortunately it was delivered while he was at work so it's hidden in the closet so it will actually be a surprise. I told him we didn't want to overspend this year and its awfully expensive so... ha ha!

Also got him the first season of Hawaii Five-oh and some books.

I had the same problem with my DH; he would never, ever tell me what he wanted.

So, we have solved this by deciding together what household thing we want and go in on it together. He doesn't get me a gift, I don't get one for him, but we both end up with something we want. :D It ends up saving a LOT of time, and keeps us both happy.

This year, we're getting the Apple TV. :hurray: