Menu

Cloth Diapers: What are the trimmest, most absorbent fitteds?

I cloth diapered my dd, who's 3 and out of diapers for a year and a half now, but there are so many new options now and diapers that have gone out of favor. Businesses have closed as well. I got rid of many newborn diapers, including a dozen colored Kissaluvs, but I still have the BumGenius OS diapers and some fitteds. I love fitteds! I'm going to try and get by with mostly prefolds and Imse Vimse covers, but I would like to try out a few nice fitteds that are trim, absorbent, but with quick drying time. Natural (unbleached, no color, but not white) colors are preferable, as 1) that usually cuts down on price and 2) I will be using cute covers over them. I also like organic, but as long as it's all cotton, or maybe bamboo, I'm fine.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me!

BTW, both of my babies were more on the leaner side than chubby.

PS: I like the looks of Loveybums, the Natural color organic diaper is "only" $19.

Edited by sagira

I cloth diapered my dd, who's 3 and out of diapers for a year and a half now, but there are so many new options now and diapers that have gone out of favor. Businesses have closed as well. I got rid of many newborn diapers, including a dozen colored Kissaluvs, but I still have the BumGenius OS diapers and some fitteds. I love fitteds! I'm going to try and get by with mostly prefolds and Imse Vimse covers, but I would like to try out a few nice fitteds that are trim, absorbent, but with quick drying time. Natural (unbleached, no color, but not white) colors are preferable, as 1) that usually cuts down on price and 2) I will be using cute covers over them. I also like organic, but as long as it's all cotton, or maybe bamboo, I'm fine.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me!

BTW, both of my babies were more on the leaner side than chubby.

PS: I like the looks of Loveybums, the Natural color organic diaper is "only" $19.

Elbees, but they are pricey for a diaper. Little Caboose from Fluffy Mail on Etsy, but they have prints.

I have some Esbaby fitteds that she specially made for me with hemp and organic cotton sherpa and no prints. They are trim and absorbent, but run small. My 5 wk old is 12 lbs and barely fits in the smalls. They have a short rise. The price was great.

http://www.esbaby.net/

Also, Firefly diapers are available either natural or in colors, they are super trim, and organic cotton. I don't know about absorbency, I didn't keep the few I had because the snaps aren't hidden and that bugs me.

Sustainable Babyish has plain bamboo fitteds, have not tried, and can not comment on absorbency.

Under the Nile makes a simple organic cotton fitted, available at Green Mountain Diapers. They take awhile to dry but I liked them.

I've heard good things about Bamboozle stretch bamboo fitteds but have not tried them.

That's all I got. :001_smile:

Oops.. antsys are for "toddlers" and up... although I think my crawler would have been fine with them. For littles, I really like diaper service quality diapers (little sized, not regulars) and then Bummis whisper wrap for the covers. If you want wool, it's very easy to use soft wool shirts like Pendleton... cut in the wrap shape and lanolized. Or... crocheted or knit. Also, if I had another newborn, I would have some ones for when they are little... that are like... the sleepers... they are wool...and you just put the diaper on.. and then the wool protects everything.. Green Mountain diapers may have some. Wool is really wonderful. You just air them out between washes... (You wash about every week or so) :) Just a thought :)

I have some Esbaby fitteds that she specially made for me with hemp and organic cotton sherpa and no prints. They are trim and absorbent, but run small. My 5 wk old is 12 lbs and barely fits in the smalls. They have a short rise. The price was great.

http://www.esbaby.net/

:

These look fantastic! The price is right too, thanks.

I tried Firefly before, but wasn't too impressed with absorbancy, maybe because I first tried them with a toddler.

Edited by sagira

Mama, if you like prefolds then why not go with a prefitted? It's a converted diaper from a prefold to have an elastic leg and it can either go in a wrap with no closures, use pins, or you can have snaps put on them.

I ordered from this woman and she actually converted several of my prefolds.

Piggy Prefolds

Her store is currently inactive but she does actively sell/sew - you just have to contact her at DiaperSwappers. Her name on the board is todzwife.

Just last week I ordered more prefolds from someone because they are the Green Mountain Diaper prefolds that fit better - they're shorter. But I know it's nicer to have that elastic leg to keep poo in. I just hate when the elastic wears out, but they're nice to have for convenience. Do try a prefitted - you can find them on the FSOT board at DiaperSwappers and they are less expensive than other fitteds too.

You could always try bamboo velour prefolds too. They have a bit of stretch to them so they conform more to the body than a regular cotton prefold. They're incredibly soft and look so beautiful in unbleached. ;)

Edited by BlsdMama

Mama, if you like prefolds then why not go with a prefitted? It's a converted diaper from a prefold to have an elastic leg and it can either go in a wrap with no closures, use pins, or you can have snaps put on them.

Look at Green Mountain Diapers' Workhorse prefitteds. I think the newborn size is around $4 ... an unbeatable price! And the other sizes are around $7. I have two Workhorses in the medium size and love them.

Once you go wool, you never go back. :D

I do enjoy using wool, especially around the house. I have some short ones, as we live in South Florida. I also use it for my baby at night. Unbeatable.

However, I have all these clothes people gave me that are not compatible with the wool -- cute li'l onesies and whatnot. I don't have too many shirts either. I'm using a lot of my dd's old clothes.

...the ones I made...:tongue_smilie:

Suedeclothe inners to keep baby dry, microfiber stuffin to absorb it all without bulk, good elastic to keep it all in. I am not up to date on CD's anymore either, but these are the components I would be looking for if I wanted trim and absorbent.

I like prefitteds like someone mentioned, but it isn't the trimmest option. It is economical and easy to get an awesome fit with a snappy...and it's super easy to add doublers & liners for nights and naps.

I ordered from this woman and she actually converted several of my prefolds.

Piggy Prefolds

Thanks for the link and the advice! My Bellabottoms were bamboo velour and I do know what you know. The prefolds are good for newborns, but I won't do pinning (I put a sturdy velcro cover on it) and as babies get older they start squirming too much and it becomes difficult to place the prefolds in there correctly. I end up using prefolds as doublers then. I do have very soft and absorbent Thirsties newborn prefolds (I can find about a dozen right now, but I know they are somewhere around the house).

The GMD Workhorse looks it performs well, but I don't care too much for its looks (I know, I know :tongue_smilie:).

I do enjoy using wool, especially around the house. I have some short ones, as we live in South Florida. I also use it for my baby at night. Unbeatable.

However, I have all these clothes people gave me that are not compatible with the wool -- cute li'l onesies and whatnot. I don't have too many shirts either. I'm using a lot of my dd's old clothes.

Well, if you ever come over to the "other" side there are plenty of WAHMamas that would be happy to convert your onesies and make matching sets with wool, lol.

And on the pinning, if you won't that's okay. Everyone has a favorite. I don't mind pinning and I don't mind snaps, but I'd rather bite off my own leg than deal with velcro. Blech.

Well, if you ever come over to the "other" side there are plenty of WAHMamas that would be happy to convert your onesies and make matching sets with wool, lol.

And on the pinning, if you won't that's okay. Everyone has a favorite. I don't mind pinning and I don't mind snaps, but I'd rather bite off my own leg than deal with velcro. Blech.

:lol: Sorry, I had a visual.

I had no idea people converted clothes. Cool idea. I like snaps the best now, but the Imse Vimse Velcro type closure is excellent, not like others I've seen. My BumGenius 2.0 are starting to be slack in the elastic part :glare:

BTW, I e-mailed the lady at Esbaby, and she will be back after the holidays, taking custom orders. These are the types of diapers I've been looking for. Cute prints and good price too (same for prints as non prints, why not?). Thanks, mamas!

Edited by sagira

Diaperswappers.com/forums is THE place to go!! I love that place! If you go to the diaper Q&A forum on there, there's tons of info on which diapers ppl like the best (you may have to do a search to find something specific though). I was *so* happy when I found diaperswappers in 2006 when my youngest was born. My dh wasn't too happy though, the bank acct took a hit for awhile :lol:.

Look at Green Mountain Diapers' Workhorse prefitteds. I think the newborn size is around $4 ... an unbeatable price! And the other sizes are around $7. I have two Workhorses in the medium size and love them.

I just bought 1 dozen of them for the new baby and I think I paid $53 (that's with shipping) for the doz. It came out to about $3.25 per diaper, I *think*.

• 3 years later...
Guest AmyJordan

This is Great, so many brands to choose from and so many fluffy options.  It seems that I really need to try wool. I can't wait. We have been using Wonderful Bambino Fitteds lately http://www.wonderfulbambino.com . They have been a godsend for being trim and absorbent. Now, all I need is a wool cover and perfection! :)