Menu

Which Math Program for a Tactile Learner?

RainbowSprinkles

Activities for Al Abacus in the first few months ( with the worksheets if you can afford) , rightstart abacus - a must.

Then CLE with lots of manipulatives . I am doing it with my 6 and 5 yo and they are loving it . My 6 yo is a kinesthetic learner , but he loves workbooks too. I use some Singapore with him but CLE works better for him .

Activities for Al Abacus in the first few months ( with the worksheets if you can afford) , rightstart abacus - a must.

Then CLE with lots of manipulatives . I am doing it with my 6 and 5 yo and they are loving it . My 6 yo is a kinesthetic learner , but he loves workbooks too. I use some Singapore with him but CLE works better for him .

What kind of manipulatives are you using with CLE? We have a ton already, I might not need to buy anything.

What kind of manipulatives are you using with CLE? We have a ton already, I might not need to buy anything.

We use these:

RS abacus for addition concepts & money ( 1 is penny, 5 nickel , 10 dime , 100=$1)

Base ten blocks for place value (I like it better than the abacus)

One egg cartoon cut in 10 to show addition concepts ( what + 3 = 10 , etc. They like to use this and it's better for Visual-Kine kids)

5x5 Geoboard , pattern blocks and/ or tangrams for matematical thinking ( you can find free online printables for these or buy a book that shows ready to build patterns)

Thanks! Looking at the samples, it seems that I would have to do a lot of planning. Is that right? I kinda would just have to pick and choose activities and schedule them myself?

Nope. It is a completely scripted program. If you are looking at the RightStart curriculum, that is. I don't know about the Activities for the Abacus. I would vote RightStart for a hands-on learner too.

Although all of these are used in Right Start, except the egg carton. In addition you use the math balance, one inch squares, popsicle sticks, drawing tools, one inch cubes, one cm cubes, and the games are wonderful for learning math facts. Not to dis what you are doing. But just to say that the Al Abacus was designed to be part of a bigger program like you are using it practically. It wasn't meant to be a stand alone.

For place value RS use the block cards, place value cards and the al abacus, so you don't get one method you use all three.

Now I admit I don't love using the block cards right off. I have an interlocking block set, so I start out using ones to build a 10 rod, then using 10 rods to build a 100 flat, then using 100 flats to build a 1000 block. Once they have it down with the physical manipulatives I switch to the picture cards, because I don't have enough 1000 cubes to do the RS problems.

The place value cards are one of my favorite for showing place value. They are very simple in it is just a plastic card with a number on it. But if you take a number like 8734 you find the 8000, the 700, the 30 and the 4 separately, then you put them together with right sides matching and what you see is the number 8734. It is really cool how they fit on top of each other.

The Al Abacus gets a 3rd way you demonstrate the same principles, so they see it come together multiple times in different formats but they get the same answer. It is very cool, and none of my kids have had problems with place value till decimals. Then it is not the place value they have problems with but the names. They want a oneths place. :D

I really love how RS has you work with all three at once.

With measurements they have the child draw shapes with a T-square and angles, then measure it with 1" squares to find the perimeter. You do later move to a ruler, but you start with the tiles they are used to using. With Area you draw then fill it up with the tiles, so they "see" area. Then with volume you get out the inch and cm cubes and build it and see volume. It makes so much sense vs. just teaching the use of multiplication without having the child see it.

The Al Abacus through is the only one that would be socially acceptable to continue to use as an adult, which is what drew me to RS in the first place. I knew my kids weren't going to get over this kinsthetic thing. :)

Heather

But just to say that the Al Abacus was designed to be part of a bigger program like you are using it practically. It wasn't meant to be a stand alone.

Well, I just hate any scripting program. I like RS concept , but can't stand the curriculum . I do use their method for the first months of teaching (pre-K) .

For those of us who don;t like a scripted program, Activities for AL Abacus works better as a supplement to something else .

Thanks! Looking at the samples, it seems that I would have to do a lot of planning. Is that right? I kinda would just have to pick and choose activities and schedule them myself?

No, RS is pretty much open-and-go. It's so easy-to-teach that it spoiled me for Singapore (which I switched my oldest to after RS C) and MEP (which my DS is currently using at the Reception/pre-k level when he wasn't ready for RS A).

Right Start! My daughter started the year with Teaching Textbooks. My son started with RS. THEN my daughter did a learning style scale and came out very kinesthetic so I tried some of my son's RS games on her...she took off!!! So now I've ordered levels C-E to cover the two kids for a bit. Expensive, but it really works! The TM tells you exactly what to do. Not much planning at all.

I agree that RS would be a good choice and doesn't require much planning. I never plan for it, other than to have the appropriate appendix page copied (and cut out when necessary). The games could be printed on cardstock and cut out ahead of time. I laminated the large part-whole circle set to avoid needing multiples. If you print everything in advance it will be super easy to grab it and go when you need it, and there's not really much to print. It sounds like there is because I'm mentioning it, but there isn't at all. I just wanted to share how to basically avoid any planning at all, lol.

Thanks! So for Miquon Math, are the cuisenaire rods all I would need for manipulatives?

Yes all you need are the cuisenaire rods. If you need to use anything thing else it would just be things you have around the house. We use colored pencils, popsicle sticks, matchbox cars, etc.

I like to have base ten blocks available too though.

I had purchased both Right Start and Miquon for ds6 because I really thought he would learn better from the very tactile lessons. He has a sensory processing disorder (sensory seeker) and is always touching everything.

But it turned out he learns better from a 'no frills' type of curricula instead. We do a combo of Math Mammoth and MEP now.

That said I think both RS and Miquon are great programs. Miquon takes a bit of learning as far as implementation goes. I recommend getting the Notes to Teachers and First grade diary with the workbook just to read through and get a better understanding of the curriculum.

RS has a lot more built in 'hand holding' for the teacher. The lessons are pretty scripted and straightforward. You just need to make sure you have all your materials and everything ready and then it almost open and go. I had printed and laminated all the practice sheets and kept all the manipulatives (there a quite a few) in a box right next to the text.

Well, I just hate any scripting program. I like RS concept , but can't stand the curriculum . I do use their method for the first months of teaching (pre-K) .

For those of us who don;t like a scripted program, Activities for AL Abacus works better as a supplement to something else .

I don't like scripting either. I generally read it and then do it my way. :blink:

But by the time I found RS I was in my 4th year of hsing and I am a math person, so I wasn't bothered by doing it my own way. At that time it was also our secondary program, so I wasn't worried about messing things up. :D

Now the 4th time through level B I don't even read the script, I just glance at the content and go from there.

If you weren't a math person, new to homeschooling or just wanted something you felt more comfortable with as a foundation, I could see using something else.

Heather

We use and love both Horizons Math and Singapore Math. Both include manipulatives and have worked great for my tactile/ visual boy. Then again, I am a firm believer than any math program can become tactile. It all depends on how you choose to use it ;).