Menu

S/O of Names - Names that don't fit personality

I know this is probably not something that people come across very often but with all of these name threads I have to ask. Has anyone come across a person with a name that just didn't fit them.

I worked with a girl named Joy in college. One day we had a conversation in which she told me that Hitler had the right idea but he went about it all wrong :001_huh: She then went on and outlined how she would have gotten rid of people and not been stopped.

Kelly (with a very boring name that everyone could spell so named her first child a very normal name with the not as often used spelling)

Gotta be joking!! Well, she was a "kill-joy" for real I guess, hopefully only a wanna be though!! :(

And I always thought if you had a name like "Candy" you'd have to try to be thin. If patience, then ultra patient. How bout Jubilee... Or Justice? :) Can you imagine always trying to live up to your name??

I'm lucky... I love my name... I guess I didn't love having kids come back to school after watching the movie... BUT, I still like the name :)

I have had bad experiences with Pearl and Heather.

Also bad associations with boys named things like Brett or Blaine that are in all the 80s teen movies (the rich, blond jerk), but I've never met such a creature in person!

I knew a Brett in college. He was definitely not the rich, blond jerk type. Much more the geeky, video game, nerd type. And a very nice guy :001_smile:

Kelly

I know this is probably not something that people come across very often but with all of these name threads I have to ask. Has anyone come across a person with a name that just didn't fit them.

I worked with a girl named Joy in college. One day we had a conversation in which she told me that Hitler had the right idea but he went about it all wrong :001_huh: She then went on and outlined how she would have gotten rid of people and not been stopped.

Kelly (with a very boring name that everyone could spell so named her first child a very normal name with the not as often used spelling)

I have a cousin-in-law named Harmony. She is anything but. She loooooooves drama, and when she doesn't have enough drama, she makes it up. :sneaky2:

Well, my dd's name is Angeline, but I wouldn't say she's an angel :tongue_smilie::lol: (at least not yet.)

My son's name fits him perfectly. I know a grandmother named Candy. She jokes she has a stripper name. I know a Cookie too, but she's not crazy :) (or particularly sweet - ha.)

I knew a Taylor who couldn't sew on a button, or Grace who has anything but grace.

I married a Ukrainian, so when our dd was born, we chose a gorgeous, delicate Slavic name, the kind that reminds you of graceful gymnasts and figure skaters.

But dd was a 10-lb butterball and stayed butterball for the first two years of her life... she did NOT look like her name at all. Quite the contrary. I would call her name and try not to giggle. (Giggle in love, of course.)

Eventually her height shot past her weight and she turned into a tall, lovely little princess who loves to dance and twirl. Guess she just had to grow into the name. :tongue_smilie:

I've never thought I was much of a "Heather". People expected me to be a bouncy cheerleader type and I was more the smart-@ss, literary type.

This is my MIL only her given name was "Sherry" (50's version of a bouncy cheerleader name ;)) When she went off to college, she started going by her middle name of Ann, which she felt was much more distinguished.

When my family moved to another state when I was 9, apparently half the class thought I was named Emily for the first few days. I personally think my name (Sarah) fits quite well, but they all thought I was Emily. Ironically enough, my mom has a cousin whose daughter's name is Emily, and she and I look somewhat similar.

Yeah. My uncle - he's a completely sour, dour, cranky person. His nickname is "Happy", and yes, he goes by this as an adult. Or Happ. Ironically, his real name is Ernest, which fits his mood much better. But apparently he was a happy baby, which is when he got this moniker.

I know a bunch of people who seem much more like their SCA names than their actual given names. We were at a wedding a year or two back and someone was giving a speech: "And our congratulations to Megan and Keith, " and some wag yelled out "WHO?" The whole hall (full as a tin of sardines) burst out laughing and the speech maker amended his speech: "Uh, yes, our congratulations to Ava and Hrothgar;" and the whole hall (except possibly their parents) let out a ROAR of approval :D Heheh.

Rosie

Yeah. My uncle - he's a completely sour, dour, cranky person. His nickname is "Happy", and yes, he goes by this as an adult. Or Happ. Ironically, his real name is Ernest, which fits his mood much better. But apparently he was a happy baby, which is when he got this moniker.
I've never heard of another male with the nickname "Happy" (or "Hap") before.

My grandfather's name was Joy Earle. I have no idea how or why his real name was "Joy" or how he got the nickname "Hap." He was always Grandpa Hap or Grandpa Happy to us grandkids. He always looked so serious in photos, but I remember him as always being "joyful" and "happy."

I did find it annoying when he was in the hospital in his later years, calling up to the hospital and asking for "his" room and being informed that "she" was sleeping or in testing or whatever. Always reminded me of that Johnny Cash song about the boy named Sue. Maybe that is why my grandfather always looked serious in photos?! If I was a boy and went through life with a girl's name and nickname, I'd want to be remembered in pictures as a crank!

I have a relative named Daisy, who is one of the sourest and most difficult people I've ever met. I actually love that name, but we could never use it for a daughter because of her.

I have another relative with a classic "nerd name," which his parents specifically chose in the hope that he would be studious and academic. He's the biggest stoner/gamer I've ever met and still lives in his parents' basement at the age of 27.

My DD (adopted from Asia) was originally named Dung, which she finds hysterically funny. She loves to tell people "I was called poop as a baby." :lol:

Jackie

I saw an article several years ago about a lady who would analyze your name and decide what name you should have. She was helping people maximize their potential by tweaking their names mainly for business/marketing reasons. Like she suggested that someone change from Rhonda to Hannah.

Oo! We had that done at a retreat for my work last year. It was a guy though, and he just said I should stick with Audrey. It's supposedly quite dignified and responsible. I was pretty disappointed. I'll take dignified, I suppose, and I can live with responsible, but I was really hoping for something with a bit more caché.

Oo! We had that done at a retreat for my work last year. It was a guy though, and he just said I should stick with Audrey. It's supposedly quite dignified and responsible. I was pretty disappointed. I'll take dignified, I suppose, and I can live with responsible, but I was really hoping for something with a bit more caché.

Well perhaps you can dye your hair green for that extra bit of jazz?

Hang on... ;)

Rosie

Scadianly-known-as Nawojka (which she thinks has a much better ring to it.)

I know a bunch of people who seem much more like their SCA names than their actual given names. We were at a wedding a year or two back and someone was giving a speech: "And our congratulations to Megan and Keith, " and some wag yelled out "WHO?" The whole hall (full as a tin of sardines) burst out laughing and the speech maker amended his speech: "Uh, yes, our congratulations to Ava and Hrothgar;" and the whole hall (except possibly their parents) let out a ROAR of approval :D Heheh.

Rosie

Well, that kinda makes sense, since I'm sure you choose your SCA names. Unless someone's tries to choose a name to compensate for something. You know, like a guy who's a bit of a wimp choosing "Bruiser" (or the SCA equivalent). :D

You mean the parents preferred Megan and Keith to Ava and Hrothgar??? ;)

Oh memememememe!

My name is Nadine Michele. My parents named me in French with a deeply southern name.

I was born in Hollywood and lived there until I was 21 and managed to escape.

They are not french. They are not southern. I have no idea why they thought that was an appropriate name for me. My brothers have normal names.

Now I live in Louisiana, and it's not an uncommon name. But for the first 21 years of my life, no one knew what the heck my name was, how to say it or how to spell it.

I'm constantly called Brenda.

It is Scandinavian.

My name is not Brenda. I am *so* not Scandinavian. I've never understood where people get it.

a

LOL I get that with Michele. People in all aspects of my life have randomly called me Michele...often while I am working, wearing my name tag, with a name that doesn't even start with an M (or an N, W or H that may be confused visually). LOL And it is ALWAYS Michele!

I have even had people on this board, who have never ever meet me....refer to me as Michele. I have always gone by Tap, even on the old board. Only 2 or 3 people here know my real name, and it definitely isn't Michele. :lol::lol::lol:

I have to say though, I really don't care, and I even answer to it. I rarely correct people and even my coworkers will hand me the phone if someone calls for Michele.

LOL I get that with Michele. People in all aspects of my life have randomly called me Michele...often while I am working, wearing my name tag, with a name that doesn't even start with an M (or an N, W or H that may be confused visually). LOL And it is ALWAYS Michele!

I have even had people on this board, who have never ever meet me....refer to me as Michele. I have always gone by Tap, even on the old board. Only 2 or 3 people here know my real name, and it definitely isn't Michele. :lol::lol::lol:

I have to say though, I really don't care, and I even answer to it. I rarely correct people and even my coworkers will hand me the phone if someone calls for Michele.

I do too - that is so funny. It is the only other name I will answer to (besides my family nickname). I won't even respond to botched versions of my "real" name...

a

I have to admit that whenever I hear the name "Hunter," I always think "slash Gatherer." :tongue_smilie:

My nephew is named Hunter, after his mom's maiden name. He is the only kid with this name that actually hunts (with his dad) and eats meat.

I live in a metro area where Hunter was the "in" name 10-12 years ago. Every single Hunter I know here is a vegetarian! :lol:

I have a boys name. Seriously. And I'm not very boyish. Once when I was about 18 I met a man who exclaimed about my name, 'No way! You look much more like a Gloria.' :glare:

And to further complicate things my mom GAVE me my BOY name and then promptly took a nick name of my very girly middle name and calls me that to this very day. So family and many friends from my childhood call me this nick name and everyone from my grown up life calls me my BOY name.

Very confusing. You should hear the 'crossover' people...they don't know what to call me. I tell them to call me whatever pops in to their head when they first think about me.

I've been called Rachel my entire life.

Nope. My name is not Rachel.

I'm named after a month.

Nope, wasn't even born close to that month.

My dd's piano teacher is Bambi. She still wonders what her mother was thinking. This lady is a forty-ish mother of two college kids who teaches music lessons for a living. Her passion is the bassoon.

She always introduces herslef as "I'm Bambi. Yes, you heard me right. Bambi, like the deer." :)

DH has a student in his class this year named Eternity. She is a pain in the (*& and DH says he feels like he is spending eternity with her.

Ran across a blog the other night of a couple who was adopting a little girl from China. They named her Charity. Am I the only one that thinks that is just so inappropriate?

I knew a girl in elementary school named Joy too who was the biggest bully! That girl was mean to everyone.

On the other hand, my middle name is Joy and when I was in college all my roommates had the middle name Joy too. It was a complete coincidence, but everyone used to tease us about living in the Suite full of Joy :001_smile:

I then went on to give my daughter the middle name Joy too. She just asked me the other day why her middle name wasn't Sweet or Honey instead.

Off topic a little here:

When DD1 was in the first grade we had a parent/teacher conference end the one before us was going long so DD1, myself and the other child were playing outside the classroom for several minutes. DD1 kept calling him Brick. I though it was odd, but who knows? After several Brick this and Brick thats, the boy pipes up with "My name is Stone!!" LOL

She got that it was a building product!!

Lara

I am a bit scared to admit I am growing into my name and out of my nickname, which dh is the only person left in my life to use. I still hate my name though. I wish I'd changed it when I got married, but alas, I didn't think of that back then and I don't know what I'd change it to anyways.

I've never known a Mary or a Grace that was the innocent biblical image of virtue associated with both. Neither as dh. Which is why catholic or not, he flat out refuses to consider any variation of those names for our girls. Or Elizabeth. He has issues with that one for some reason I have never understood.

I have a baby name book that instead of giving the meaning of a name, give the image and personality associated with the name. It is freaky weird how often it is dead on accurate.

I have a cousin-in-law named Harmony. She is anything but. She loooooooves drama, and when she doesn't have enough drama, she makes it up. :sneaky2:

I once walked into our church nursery just as a 3-year-old I didn't recognize tackled a little boy. She pulled his hair and tried to take a toy from him while screaming her lungs out. After I rescued the little boy, I asked one of the other workers what the girl's name was. She couldn't keep a straight face as she told me it was Harmony.