Menu

S/O: What medical reasons disqualify you from military service?

I have been trying to figure this out.

I have one son with Asperger's and from what I read it seems that he might qualify depending on the severity of his condition.

I have another son with hand and feet deformities (fingers and toes) and I can't find anything about that in my search. My guess is that he would not qualify, but I am curious.

Can you name some specifics?

Dawn

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/intmedstandards.htm

From the upper extremity section:

Hand (726.4):

(a) Pronation to 45 degrees.

(b) Supination to 45 degrees.

Fingers and thumb (726.4):

Inability to clench fist, pick up a pin, grasp an object, or touch tips of at least three fingers with thumb.

Hand and fingers.

Current absence of the distal phalanx of either thumb (885) is disqualifying.

Current absence of distal and middle phalanx of an index, middle, or ring finger of either hand, irrespective of the absence of the little finger (886), is disqualifying.

Current absence of more than the distal phalanx of any two of the following fingers: index, middle finger, or ring finger of either hand (886) is disqualifying.

Current absence of hand or any portion thereof (887) is disqualifying except for specific absences of fingers as noted above.

Current polydactyly (755) is disqualifying.

Scars and deformities of the fingers or hand (905.2) that are symptomatic or that impair normal function to such a degree as to interfere with the satisfactory performance of military duty are disqualifying.

Current intrinsic paralysis or weakness of upper limbs, including nerve paralysis, carpal tunnel and cubital syndromes, lesion of ulnar and radial nerve (354) sufficient to produce physical findings in the hand, such as muscle atrophy and weakness is disqualifying.

Current disease, injury, or congenital condition with residual weakness or symptoms such as to prevent satisfactory performance of duty, including, but not limited to chronic joint pain: shoulder (719.41), upper arm (719.42), forearm (719.43), and hand (719.44), late effect of fracture of the upper extremities (905.2), late effect of sprains without mention of injury (905.7), and late effects of tendon injury (905.8) are disqualifying.

From the lower extremity section:

Foot and ankle.

Current absence of a foot or any portion thereof (896) is disqualifying.

Current or history of deformities of the toes (acquired (735) or congenital (755.66)) including, but not limited to conditions such as hallux valgus (735.0), hallux varus (735.1), hallux rigidicus (735.2), hammer toe(s) (735.4), claw toe(s) (735.5), overriding toe(s) (735.8), that prevents the proper wearing of military footwear or impairs walking, marching, running, or jumping, are disqualifying.

Current or history of clubfoot (754.70) or pes cavus (754.71) that prevents the proper wearing of military footwear or impairs walking, marching, running, or jumping is disqualifying.

Current symptomatic pes planus (acquired (734) or congenital (754.6)) or history of pes planus corrected by prescription or custom orthotics is disqualifying.

Current ingrown toenails (703.0), if infected or symptomatic, are disqualifying.

Current plantar fasciitis (728.71) is disqualifying.

Current neuroma (355.6) that is refractory to medical treatment, or impairs walking, marching, running, or jumping, or prevents the proper wearing of military footwear, is disqualifying.

General.

Current deformities, disease, or chronic joint pain of pelvic region, thigh (719.45), lower leg (719.46), ankle and/ or foot (719.47) that have interfered with function to such a degree as to prevent the individual from following a physically active vocation in civilian life, or that would interfere with walking, running, weight bearing, or the satisfactory completion of training or military duty, are disqualifying.

Current leg-length discrepancy resulting in a limp (736.81) is disqualifying.

Flat feet is still an out? I wouldn't have guessed that was still true. It makes sense, I just figured that maybe with current orthotics, they'd have a way around it.

I think the thought is-when you're deployed if something happens to your orthotics, how are you going to get another set? I *think* you can get a waiver for this *unless* you require arch supports/custom orthotics for that reason.

DS almost got disqualified for his pectus excavatum but it wasn't bad enough in their opinion, but they really want him because of his high score on his ASVAB. His friend who was trying to get in had foot deformities and could not get in. Another friend has asthma and is trying to get a waiver to get in. Being on meds for depression, asthma, ADD/ADHD, ect....in the previous 12mo will disqualify you immediately no questions asked. Also we found out that any kind of concussion could disqualify you also.

Because the military is over-staffed right now they are being very picky. In fact ds' recruiter told him that not all qualified applicants will get in because they just don't need the people.

Yes, I do know this. My boys are nowhere NEAR old enough to even think about this and none of them has expressed any desire for military service. I was actually asking because I would like them to NOT have to do military service if there is a draft in the next 20 years! Selfish, I know.

I have two cousins whose sons wanted to join the military. One was accepted, but had to wait 8 months before he could start because they were overbooked, the other was accepted but was told he would have to wait several months AND take a lower position than he qualified for because of overstaffing.

Dawn

DS almost got disqualified for his pectus excavatum but it wasn't bad enough in their opinion, but they really want him because of his high score on his ASVAB. His friend who was trying to get in had foot deformities and could not get in. Another friend has asthma and is trying to get a waiver to get in. Being on meds for depression, asthma, ADD/ADHD, ect....in the previous 12mo will disqualify you immediately no questions asked. Also we found out that any kind of concussion could disqualify you also.

Because the military is over-staffed right now they are being very picky. In fact ds' recruiter told him that not all qualified applicants will get in because they just don't need the people.

Celiac disease is a no, because it is a "persistent digestive disorder."

Makes sense, of course, but this reality devastated my son. :(

My ds with celiac disease was pretty bummed too. More than a persistent disorder, their diet needs make them nondeployable. DS occasionally sets his sights on law enforcement instead, with a GF doughnut disclaimer.

My brother was not allowed to complete basic training because of his scoliosis. It was slight, but enough to disqualify him. They told him if he had surgery he could try again, however his insurance won't cover the surgery because it's not bad enough. :001_huh:

What is "slight" because ds and I both have scoliosis and he is going into the airforce and I was in the army.

Dyslexia :glare:

ADD :glare: This one often gets waivered, but you have to function without meds or accomodations successfully for at least 12 months.

Yeah, and my 20 yo has refused to take his meds for 7 years now because he wants to enlist.

On most days I'm wanting to put a bow on him. :glare: 5 more credits and he is THEIRS.