Menu

What are some ways an almost 11 y/o can volunteer?

He can:

1. Clean my house.

2. Paint my house.

3. Wash my car.

Give me some time. I'll come up with more. ;)

Cat

PS. Maybe he could volunteer with a church youth group, read stories to the little kids while their parents are in church, or be a Sunday School teacher's helper?

My dd11 volunteers 2-3 hours a week at our church.

The Children's Ministry had an ad in the church newsletter for a volunteer position to help collate, copy, staple, etc one day a week to help prepare things for Sunday School.

They were expecting to get a mom or teen I guess, but DD emailed them and they are thrilled to have her. She is equally thrilled to be able to do this -- it is definitely a perk of homeschooling. She loves what she does and that she is left there to do 'her job.'

If there is time at the end of her 2-3 hours, she is able to go into the pre-school and help out there. This has been an excellent experience for her.

Do you have a Head Start/Child Development preschool program? I'm sure they would let him come in and read aloud to the kids and maybe once he gets started in that, if it's working out and he likes the staff and vice versa, maybe they can put their heads together and find out in what other ways he can help "teach" the preschoolers.

Maybe he could volunteer at a nature preserve and help with their youth programs.

Perhaps he could offer to teach kids how to play chess -- your local library might be a good place to start something like that.

Cat

Definitely -- either of those suggestions. Certainly here in NOVA they would welcome him with open arms.

When he is 11, he can join the Boy Scouts. They do lots of community service projects and could help steer him towards individual volunteer work. The Boy Scouts sometimes assist younger Cub Scouts, which might be satisfying to him if he wants to help younger kids.

Otherwise, my kids have had luck volunteering at the library. He could volunteer to read or assist at their Preschool story time if they have one.

You can also go to your library and usually they have all sorts of volunteer works. My son volunteered to read to younger kids last summer. They also have like a homework help in the afternoon.

You can also go to some local churches around you and ask if they have those volunteer or charity works they provide the community and he can volunteer for that.

You can also ask hospitals for volunteer works for kids. I remember when my son was 8 (he's 10 now), I took him to a children's hospital and he volunteered to play with kids there for an hour every other Saturday. Now they call me if they have kids that need help or just want spend time to play.

There are organize groups such as 4H, or Boy Scouts .

I hope this helps.