Menu

CM and workboxes

Just Robyn

Here is a picture of our workboxes.

Concept is essentially the same. Instead of worktexts or textbooks, I load up our boxes with the books, copywork, art prints, cd for composer study, handicrafts, and our supplies for our nature walk.

I love our workboxes. It gives the kids a very clear picture of how much school needs to be done. It keeps our supplies organized. No more lost books!

HTH

Here is a picture of our workboxes.

Concept is essentially the same. Instead of worktexts or textbooks, I load up our boxes with the books, copywork, art prints, cd for composer study, handicrafts, and our supplies for our nature walk.

I love our workboxes. It gives the kids a very clear picture of how much school needs to be done. It keeps our supplies organized. No more lost books!

HTH

Ours are almost the same, we use drawers too! Here are ours. I didn't know about them when my kids were younger or I would have used them then too. I think they are very compatible with CM because you can still do short lessons, or put supplies in for the kids to do art, nature walks, whatever. Whatever you normally do for school can easily go in the workboxes. Workboxes are just a 3-D schedule that organizes your supplies and materials. I especially love no more lost books, that was a major selling point here as well!

I generally put only things that the kids will use independently or one on one with me in the boxes. Things that we all do together (history, read-alouds), I only put their things in (for example, they have a drawer with their timeline in it, but the books we read are on my shelf).

HTH! Merry :-)

Thank you all. It's starting to make more sense. When I think about CM I think about me reading aloud to everyone, followed by narration. When I think about workboxes I think about each child working independently (or one-on-one with me, but largely independently) so I was having trouble seeing how the two could be compatible.

Thinking about non-narration items like AAS, and things that could be independent like composer study CDs, is clearing up my mind. :)

When I think about CM I think about me reading aloud to everyone, followed by narration. When I think about workboxes I think about each child working independently (or one-on-one with me, but largely independently) so I was having trouble seeing how the two could be compatible.

Thinking about non-narration items like AAS, and things that could be independent like composer study CDs, is clearing up my mind. :)

Actually I put everything in our workboxes. Since my son can see what is coming up next, he is motivated to work on the subjects that aren't his favorite. I load up our boxes in the order that I want to do our subjects of the day and I alternate lessons so he is doing a variety of work.

I don't use workboxes so that my child can work independently. I use them to give him a visual picture of the work that he is expected to do for the day. For my very visual kid, it has be a great way to help him develop the habit of attention. The favorite history book in the next drawer is a great motivator to work through the writing lesson!

I love Merry's description, " Workboxes are just a 3-D schedule that organizes your supplies and materials."

HTH

Actually I put everything in our workboxes. Since my son can see what is coming up next, he is motivated to work on the subjects that aren't his favorite. I load up our boxes in the order that I want to do our subjects of the day and I alternate lessons so he is doing a variety of work.

I try to alternate things for this reason too! However, I couldn't figure out how to put subjects where we are all together in the boxes--whose box gets the history book if I'm reading it to both kids? Etc... The author, Sue Patrick, used Sonlight & she separated group time and says you can either do that first or set a time for that (which you can put on their schedule strip even if you don't include it in a box, just like snack time or centers).

Anyway, there's not one "right" way to use them--make it work for you!

We use bins for their books and Accountable Kids for chores and making sure everything gets done. Everything is a CM style, but they get to choose the order in which they complete assignments that are self-directed, unless I am presenting a lesson or doing a read-aloud with narration. Nature Study, Picture Study, Composer Study are all done with me.

I use the work boxes because otherwise I might spend 20 minutes looking for the right book, etc.

A friend who was a special education teacher suggested this. I am not good at organization. After using this method I can't believe HOW I got anything done before. It's also nice that DD can choose what come first. The boxes make everything look and feel manageable.