Menu

SO, If you think crazy spellings are....crazy, what's up with (Christian) HS names?

I've always been curious why people name their children, what they do. For me, it's their first "gift" and I want it to be special. I wasn't making a "statement" about my particular place in life when I named them. (Otherwise, it would have been something about "single and broke" with my daughter)

It seems the hs world is "making statements" about what they "wish to be" with their names, right now. Kinda like the Vision Forum people with "Providence" and "Honor".....etc...

My last one that I just saw, was a friend with a baby named "Valor". The rest of the kids have normal names.... This one... Valor. I mean....Hmmmm.... My daughter said, "Cute baby... good thing he's gonna be homeschooled."

I've always been curious why people name their children, what they do. For me, it's their first "gift" and I want it to be special. I wasn't making a "statement" about my particular place in life when I named them. (Otherwise, it would have been something about "single and broke" with my daughter)

It seems the hs world is "making statements" about what they "wish to be" with their names, right now. Kinda like the Vision Forum people with "Providence" and "Honor".....etc...

My last one that I just saw, was a friend with a baby named "Valor". The rest of the kids have normal names.... This one... Valor. I mean....Hmmmm.... My daughter said, "Cute baby... good thing he's gonna be homeschooled."

What's old is new again. It has been popular in the past to name children after character traits you want them to have. I don't think it has much to do with being home schooled specifically.

We have a friend named Valor and I have known him all my life. And he wasn't homeschooled. :)

The most interesting name in this vein that I've heard was Charis, which is Greek for "grace". I liked it, though.

This is funny because I always wanted to name my dds Patience. My mother used to fuss at us as kids and say, " I wish I would have named you Patience. Maybe then you would have some." It was kind of a joke in our family. So if I ever did finally name one Patience, it would be because of that, kind of in honor of my sisters' and my shared childhood experience.

I came closest to naming my first dd who passed away very young that. With our 2 living children, we gave each a family name and honored our family and them that way. It didn't seem to come up. I still consider it as a name that is very close to my heart for any future dds.

My family was not very church going when I was a child, and we weren't homeschooled. My mother was an avid reader though, and that is where she would have been exposed to old fashioned names (I am thinking of the pilgrims here) like Patience.

Edited by 2_girls_mommy

I love virtue names. Grace, Hope, Faith, Prudence etc. Love them.

:iagree:

And in my social circle, they are popular with folks who don't HS and/or aren't particularly religious.

I would say the more unusual names among HS kids I know come from the "granola" set. I won't post them in case I might accidentally offend someone I know IRL ;)

I know a woman who has given her children some very, um, different names -- so different that I have thought, "I hope she homeschools her kids or else those kids are going to have a difficult time."

That's probably horrible of me to think, let alone admit on a forum. I generally don't care what folks name their kids, or how they spell the names, but this woman is an exception to the rule.

BTW, they aren't Christian religious names, but names that come from science fiction, which is almost like a religion to this woman and her husband.

Oops, I forgot to share what was relevant to this thread. Duh. I grew up with a Prudence, no idea if she was religious or not, but it was such a fitting name for her. Same thing with a girl named Faith, great name, great person. Neither homeschooled!

Edited by fastforward

This is funny because I always wanted to name my dds Patience. My mother used to fuss at us as kids and say, " I wish I would have named you Patience. Maybe then you would have some." It was kind of a joke in our family. So if I ever did finally name one Patience, it would be because of that, kind of in honor of my sisters' and my shared childhood experience.

I came closest to naming my first dd who passed away very young that. With our 2 living children, we gave each a family name and honored our family and them that way. It didn't seem to come up. I still consider it as a name that is very close to my heart for any future dds.

My family was not very church going when I was a child, and we weren't homeschooled. My mother was an avid reader though, and that is where she would have been exposed to old fashioned names (I am thinking of the pilgrims here) like Patience.

I actually have a Patience Jubilee. We only had a boy's name chosen. I went into labour one weekend, after 24hrs I stalled out at 7cm with everything still intact, and hung out like that for a WEEK before going into labour again. We teased about, "if this is a girl, then we'll just have to name her Patience." She was and we did. NOW, picture yourself with a crying baby in the store and calming her by saying her name over and over...you will get strange looks from other people ("Patience, Patience, Patience...") :lol: And she thinks I'm meanly teasing her if I say, "Have patience, Patience." The old men at church like to tease her by calling her every "P" name in the book just to hear her say impatiently, "My name is PATIENCE!"

With Vision Forum people, they like the Puritans...so they are bringing back some of that tradition. I actually do like the name Honour. We could ask what is up with celeb babies: Apple, Prince, etc...seriously?

Edited by mommaduck

We have a friend named Valor and I have known him all my life. And he wasn't homeschooled. :)

The most interesting name in this vein that I've heard was Charis, which is Greek for "grace". I liked it, though.

One of my best friends is named "Karis", with the same meaning. I'm not sure what's up with the spelling. I do know her dad wanted her name to start with "K", so maybe that's it. My friend is 42 and they got the name from a student of her mother's.

I like the idea of naming your child something with a deep meaning.

A looong time ago, I belonged to a board with a woman who had children named Reverence (male) and Intimacy (female).

A cousin of mine has a DD born on the 4th of July. They named her Liberty but call her Libby for short. I think it's adorable.

I'm all for different names, but I might have to draw the line there. (bolded)

I like Liberty, though!

Oh my goodness. DD and I were JUST talking about the name Valor yesterday. I love it! :D Truly!

Although the next girl will be Honor, without a doubt.

I love (obviously) to use names that have a deep & special meaning, whether it be a biblical hero, a special meaning, a family member....

Briana Joy - strength and then obviously joy and she's named after MIL

Christian Joseph - meaning obvious and named after my dad

Hannah Elizabeth - Biblical and means Grace & Elizabeth is my gm's middle name.

Elizabeth Grace - named after her sister Hannah

Rebecca Kristine - means captivating, biblical, and named after my mom

Timothy Gerald - "To Honor God" and named after my FIL

Abigail Faith - A father's joy (obviously DH picked it) biblical, and Faith

Sarah Elaine - Princess (again a DH name), biblical, and named after my grandmother

Daniella Hope - fem. form of Daniel God is my Judge combined with Hope makes God is my judge & hope

The next baby will be named after my husband & grandfathers if I'm correct and it's a boy. If not, I'm hoping DH loves the name Honor. ;)

Names are just special. It's nice to know someone had a plan before you were born, you were loved and wanted and thought over. ;)

I adore the name Rachel. But with all of the other kids having deep and meaningful things behind why they were named what they were named, we can't use it. I can't imagine saying "Your name means this and yours this, oh and yours means 'Ewe.'" Um. No.

I'm an atheist, and both my children have virtue names as middle names. Prudence and Honor. I don't really consider it a religious thing, though it was obviously practiced by the Puritans. I didn't really know there was a resurgence of them. Now I'm waiting to meet my first If-Jesus-Christ-Had-Not-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-****ed

:lol:

I like Mirth, Merit, Noble, and Bonny.

Edited by Tangerine
linky no worky.

But, with Rachael, which actually sounds like your other names.... I think that "God's special little lamb" for the meaning... is Ewe the same as lamb? sounds beautifully sweet :) The rest of the names are so... mainstream..... :) If I were going to use "honor" I'd use the "Honour" for the spelling :) But... of course... that's just me :) Course, Honor is pretty unisex, and so.... You'll have to let people know it's a girl :)

My friend from Israel, when she was here... wanted to know why people named their children "Names from the OT, that are such out of date Hebrew names" ...... I tried to explain that one :)

:)

I actually have a Patience Jubilee. We only had a boy's name chosen. I went into labour one weekend, after 24hrs I stalled out at 7cm with everything still intact, and hung out like that for a WEEK before going into labour again. We teased about, "if this is a girl, then we'll just have to name her Patience."

Aw, that is a great story! I can always imagine telling my story if we would have named ours Patience too.

But I think you deserve the name more than she does for having gone through that labor!:)

I do Cubs, Boy and Girl scouts. The most, um, unusual names I've run across were not homeschoolers. CalEl comes to mind. I could only bring myself to call him Cal. His sister is named Aurora. Obviously movie fans there. We also had a pair of sibs Jealousy (girl) and her brother Ares. Hmmmm,not my cup of tea but whatever.

I love the name Aurora. :001_wub:

Oh my goodness. DD and I were JUST talking about the name Valor yesterday. I love it! :D Truly!

Although the next girl will be Honor, without a doubt.

I love (obviously) to use names that have a deep & special meaning, whether it be a biblical hero, a special meaning, a family member....

Briana Joy - strength and then obviously joy and she's named after MIL

Christian Joseph - meaning obvious and named after my dad

Hannah Elizabeth - Biblical and means Grace & Elizabeth is my gm's middle name.

Elizabeth Grace - named after her sister Hannah

Rebecca Kristine - means captivating, biblical, and named after my mom

Timothy Gerald - "To Honor God" and named after my FIL

Abigail Faith - A father's joy (obviously DH picked it) biblical, and Faith

Sarah Elaine - Princess (again a DH name), biblical, and named after my grandmother

Daniella Hope - fem. form of Daniel God is my Judge combined with Hope makes God is my judge & hope

The next baby will be named after my husband & grandfathers if I'm correct and it's a boy. If not, I'm hoping DH loves the name Honor. ;)

Names are just special. It's nice to know someone had a plan before you were born, you were loved and wanted and thought over. ;)

I adore the name Rachel. But with all of the other kids having deep and meaningful things behind why they were named what they were named, we can't use it. I can't imagine saying "Your name means this and yours this, oh and yours means 'Ewe.'" Um. No.

Well, my dd's 4 name [Linnea] means, Lime Tree. :tongue_smilie: When we dedicated her the we asked some friends to speak a blessing over her at the dinner after. He was going to speak on the meaning of her name until . . . :D

Actually, he did speak on what it meant to be a tree planted by the streams etc and it was lovely. :D

That is the closest I have come to a 'weird' name. Although, we did think about some variation of Kyrie for a while.

I do Cubs, Boy and Girl scouts. The most, um, unusual names I've run across were not homeschoolers. CalEl comes to mind. I could only bring myself to call him Cal. His sister is named Aurora. Obviously movie fans there. We also had a pair of sibs Jealousy (girl) and her brother Ares. Hmmmm,not my cup of tea but whatever.

CalEl as in Superman?? Interesting LOL.

I'm all for unusual names. I love running across a unique name among kids. I think it makes them stand out. There's a little boy at our church named Major. It's not my style but I like that his parents picked something different. I've never heard the name Valor before but I like it! I've heard of a little boy named Noble and I really like that too.

I know that someone mentioned the names Reverence and Intimacy. Those are a little *too* different for me....especailly Intimacy. I could never name my daughter Intimacy. And Reverence just makes me think of Reverend. Maybe he'll grow up to be a pastor LOL.

My daughers are named Paisley and Sailor. I'd never heard those names when I named them (they are 6 and 3) but now I've heard a few other kids with the same names.

J went to Catholic school with an Honor

Oh, I love the name Honor. When we found out I was pregnant and discussing names I really wanted to use the name Honoria (Uh-NOR-ee-uh) for a girl, but James Bond vetoed it because it was "weird and nobody would ever pronounce it correctly." It turns out we're having a boy, so it didn't matter, but I still love the name.

A looong time ago, I belonged to a board with a woman who had children named Reverence (male) and Intimacy (female).

A cousin of mine has a DD born on the 4th of July. They named her Liberty but call her Libby for short. I think it's adorable.

I now a baby Liberty too. She was born in July. They call her Libby. I thought it was very cute!

Intimacy....now that is a little weird....I suppose you could go with Macy for short?

When I was a teenager, I knew a girl named Patience. There was another family of (grown up) sisters named Faith, Hope and (can't remember the other, but it wasn't Love). None of these were homeschooled. Back in my family tree there was someone named Patience or Prudence or something like that. It was more common back then.

Probably Charity? There are a lot of little girls being named Charity (I don't dare use it because there is a religious group here called that).

I actually have a Patience Jubilee. We only had a boy's name chosen. I went into labour one weekend, after 24hrs I stalled out at 7cm with everything still intact, and hung out like that for a WEEK before going into labour again.

Oh, I remember when you labored with her. I think about that week every so often.

Oh, I remember when you labored with her. I think about that week every so often.

Yep, because our friend ;) came up and tried to walk me all over the county, ten million trips to WM, intentionally tried to make me forget things so I had to go BACK...all in hopes that she would be there when the baby came...and the baby waited till a couple days after she left :glare: Maybe I should have named her "Ornery" :lol:

Yep, because our friend ;) came up and tried to walk me all over the county, ten million trips to WM, intentionally tried to make me forget things so I had to go BACK...all in hopes that she would be there when the baby came...and the baby waited till a couple days after she left :glare: Maybe I should have named her "Ornery" :lol:

Oh, our friend was so perturbed. In the most plesant of ways, of course.

It doesn't seem like Patience should be old enough to talk.

Oh, I love the name Honor. When we found out I was pregnant and discussing names I really wanted to use the name Honoria (Uh-NOR-ee-uh) for a girl, but James Bond vetoed it because it was "weird and nobody would ever pronounce it correctly." It turns out we're having a boy, so it didn't matter, but I still love the name.

I like this name because it's the name of Lord Peter's (my ideal man!) mother. It's also a really pretty, strong name. :)

When I was a teenager, I knew a girl named Patience. There was another family of (grown up) sisters named Faith, Hope and (can't remember the other, but it wasn't Love). None of these were homeschooled. Back in my family tree there was someone named Patience or Prudence or something like that. It was more common back then.

Was it Jennifer or some other such fairly common name? I seem to recall someone on this board mentioning they knew a family that named their daughters Faith, Hope and Jennifer (or something like that...). It was kind of funny since it wasn't what you'd expect (Charity).

My sister-in-law's sweet sister named her baby Vandal. She's not a homeschooler. Maybe if she was, she would have thought longer about naming him such a "lovely sounding" name. Cuz...*raises eyebrow* None of their family ever questioned the name...she's lucky (or unlucky) that she's not in our family, because we would have insisted on a different name. :laugh:

I kinda like the meaning of Rachel. It could remind her that God is her shepherd. Sheep have so much meani g in the Bible.

I kinda like the meaning of Rachel. It could remind her that God is her shepherd. Sheep have so much meani g in the Bible.

I kind of understand her point. My name is Sarah and my sister is Rachel

I always felt sorry for Rachel because her name didn't mean anything. Just "ewe" "lamb"

I Was a princess.

Sarah Elizabeth -- princess dedicated to God.

She was Rachel Melissa -- "ewe" "honeybee" What do you do with that?

I was in ATI, and worked at the Hinsdale headquarters as a teenager. I don't remember the J name thing being a trend. I think it may just be a Duggar thing.

I thought the Duggars did it because both Mom and Dad's name started with J. Then after they had done it for a few children, they didn't feel they could break the trend! The child who was different would feel left out.