Menu

Well this doesn't make me feel any better!

LizzyBee

NC requires annual standardized testing. Our kids don't have to achieve any particular score, we just have to give them the test.

In the past year, my 9 yo gained 16 months in math (yay!) but only about 3 months in reading. This is while using Barton Reading along with speech and occupational therapy. I have been reflecting that her dyslexia is likely much more severe than I realized or wanted to admit, and she will probably have to use assistive technology for the rest of her life - in college, in her professional life, etc. Then I come across this article on the Heart of Reading yahoo group that says that only 1/5 of students with severe dyslexia learn to read. Talk about feeling slapped while you're down! :crying:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40755043/ns/today-today_health/from/toolbar

NC requires annual standardized testing. Our kids don't have to achieve any particular score, we just have to give them the test.

In the past year, my 9 yo gained 16 months in math (yay!) but only about 3 months in reading. This is while using Barton Reading along with speech and occupational therapy. I have been reflecting that her dyslexia is likely much more severe than I realized or wanted to admit, and she will probably have to use assistive technology for the rest of her life - in college, in her professional life, etc. Then I come across this article on the Heart of Reading yahoo group that says that only 1/5 of students with severe dyslexia learn to read. Talk about feeling slapped while you're down! :crying:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40755043/ns/today-today_health/from/toolbar

:grouphug:

None of the children in that survey had you for their mother! Your child will learn to read! (So will mine.)

She made 3 months gain--little steps but it's progress nonetheless. Also I've noticed in my own experience that standardized tests do not test based on special needs curriculum. The year we spent much time on spelling with phonograms, my other "normal" children went down in spelling because the tests used many words that were non-phonetic and the multiple choices offered phonetical but incorrect choices too. And at age nine, she's still being compared with other nine year olds who read primarily based on sight words, while you are using a slower method that will pay bigger in the long run.

My son did "okay" on the reading portion of our standardized tests last year because he was smart enough to fill in all the bubbles. He didn't actually read it--he simply filled in random answers. I have prepared myself that if he every actually takes the time to read through the questions, his reading score will likely drop that year. He did do the spelling portion to the best of his ability, and it wasn't pretty. He would have done better with random guessing, like he did with the reading.

Children with dyslexia do not learn to read with that standard methods of reading, and their learning curve is different from what standardized tests measure. Hang in there and don't get discouraged!:grouphug:

Edited by merry gardens

You know - my son has horrible dyslexia - but did learn to read. However, even though he can read adult level books (and comprehend them) he still does badly on any sort of standardized reading test.

I have no idea why - but dyslexics just have a really hard time with them.

Also - multiple choice questions are horrible for them. Again - don't know why.....

Please don't get caught up in Articles that may have to do with your child in topic... just because the article is pessimistic does not mean it is gospel truth on the subject. I have a dd with dyslexia and she is able to read and comprehend above grade level, but she can not write to save her life. She has more of a "stealth dyslexia" type. We were told to give up on her and that she would never use written communications, etc. Well, guess what...we used Barton, magnetic letters, stamp letters, etc and she is doing better and more that expected by the "professionals". It is quite possible by the time your child goes to college, typing and dictation will be the norm rather than the exception. YOU are the MOM, therefore YOU know best!

Those aren't stats of only homeschooled or afterschooled dc, and that can make all the difference. I met a ps teacher who was homeschooling her granddaughter (had custody) who had a lot of special needs (not just dyslexia) because the school told her her dd would never learn to read. When we met, her granddaughter was reading only 1 grade behind age level.

I'll hang in there with you. We're having the same experience here - great strides in math, less in reading. We're not using Barton, but hopefully will in the future - right now he is learning sight words, which is better than nothing. (Before anyone jumps on me, I have to take what he gets at school, OK?) He'll be 10 in March.

My sister was 13 when she finally learned to read. She did go on to graduate high school last year and she still struggles some, but she does hope to go to college soon.

I don't believe that statistic.:D I don't think you should either.:tongue_smilie:

Personally, I think assistive technology is the coolest thing there is. I really do believe that....I mean why type when Dragon transcribes at faster than 200 wpm? Why sit down and read books when you can listen to them while you commute (as my husband does)? Why read when you are tired when the Kindle reads to you? I mean just because dyslexic people may need these technologies, it doesn't reduce them (the technologies or the person).

Honestly, I have heard so many stories of dyslexic individuals revolutionizing their workplace, simply because they put into place strategies that work for THEM, but they become standard for everyone because they are better, more efficient ways to do things.

I do think we need to be prepared that our children may have a different pathway and way of doing things, but it doesn't have to be considered horrible... It really can be very exciting.

Personally, I think assistive technology is the coolest thing there is. I really do believe that....I mean why type when Dragon transcribes at faster than 200 wpm? Why sit down and read books when you can listen to them while you commute (as my husband does)? Why read when you are tired when the Kindle reads to you? I mean just because dyslexic people may need these technologies, it doesn't reduce them (the technologies or the person).

:thumbup:

Wow, thanks for all the encouragement!

The article really wasn't pessimistic. That statistic just jumped out at me at a time when I was already feeling discouraged. The article was talking about using brain scans to predict which dyslexics will or will not learn to read using current methodology, then developing new treatments for those who will have more difficulty. So it was meant to offer new hope, not to be a downer. :tongue_smilie:

I've watched my 14 year old - dyslexia, processing issues, autism - jump three grade levels in a very short amount of time with a tutor that is using Wilson.

I thought the article was interesting and before I found this tutor I would have probably found it depressing as well. I just don't think a brain scan can tell us the whole story of how much a person can overcome.

You know - my son has horrible dyslexia - but did learn to read. However, even though he can read adult level books (and comprehend them) he still does badly on any sort of standardized reading test.

I have no idea why - but dyslexics just have a really hard time with them.

Also - multiple choice questions are horrible for them. Again - don't know why.....

I can answer that, at least in part. When you are dyslexic you learn to second guess yourself. You know that your gut isn't always right. If you have to remember an answer you might or might not know it, it is black and white. With multiple choice it becomes confusing, especially with spelling. Dyslexic children often don't have good visual memory for words. It is very easy to become confused in a testing situation and pick the wrong one. Outside of a testing situation you would probably chill and write it on a piece of paper, maybe look it up. You would get there. With the pressure of the testing combined with general deficiencies to begin with, and if they don't own it cold they begin to see everything as a trick question. In the stress they just pick the wrong one.

Essay questions are my friend. It allows me to demonstrate my big picture knowledge of the information, enough to get full or partial credit. I don't do well with the details, which is another reason why multiple choice trips me up. They don't focus on the big picture but the details, in general.

(((Elizabeth)))

I can't tell you it will all work out. All I can say is she has only gotten where she is at because of your hard work. Just keep swimming....

Heather

assistance. You don't need to go there yet.

Don't feel discourage because she hasn't made the progress that you'd prefer.

Keep on keeping on.

That is exactly what I would tell other people. :tongue_smilie: But my dd is so much like her dyslexic cousin, and he is still struggling with language skills at 17 yo in spite of very high intelligence. I know that both of them will be successful in life, but I wish it didn't have to be such a struggle.

I've watched my 14 year old - dyslexia, processing issues, autism - jump three grade levels in a very short amount of time with a tutor that is using Wilson.

I thought the article was interesting and before I found this tutor I would have probably found it depressing as well. I just don't think a brain scan can tell us the whole story of how much a person can overcome.

Your son is doing great! That is really awesome. :party:

I agree that brain scans aren't the whole story, but it is pretty exciting that they've given us so much new information about LDs. And if they lead to new treatments for people who can't learn with OG and other existing methods, that's even more exciting.

Many of those kids are those that have slipped through the cracks with no one actually addressing their dyslexia or getting them the help they need.

The stepdad and half brother I grew up with are both dyslexic. Brother is a pilot, ANG, and plane mechanic, graduating from U of IL. Stepdad was a self taught mechanic and became a self taught IT Guy.

One of my other half brothers was raised partly by grandparents, then was lost to the foster care system after their death. He can't read to this day. Bouncing around homes and schools, no one took the time to care about his dyslexia and making life such that he would get the help he needed.

Your son is doing great! That is really awesome. :party:

I agree that brain scans aren't the whole story, but it is pretty exciting that they've given us so much new information about LDs. And if they lead to new treatments for people who can't learn with OG and other existing methods, that's even more exciting.

Thanks. I feel hugely guilty that I listened to the public schools for years and not my instincts.

Oh I think it is wonderful that we can find out things we couldn't before. It would save a lot of frustration if they were able to narrow down what might work with this person as opposed to having to go through trial and error.

My dad - who I strongly suspect was dyslexic as he was also functionally illiterate - was a magnificent carpenter and a brilliant golfer. In some ways he seemed more determined to do things than most people.

At 13 he just tested "advanced proficient" on the language portion of a state standardized test. At the end of 2nd grade in ps he scored in the 16th percentile on Terra Nova standardized test in reading.

Your dd has an advantage over dyslexic kids in ps. She has a one-on-one instructor. That can make all the difference.

That is exactly what I would tell other people. :tongue_smilie: But my dd is so much like her dyslexic cousin, and he is still struggling with language skills at 17 yo in spite of very high intelligence. I know that both of them will be successful in life, but I wish it didn't have to be such a struggle.

ETA: The ages of 9 and 10 can be the most discouraging for dyslexic kids. That's the point when almost all their peers have taken off in their reading. Give it another three years of consistent, persistent hard work and your dd can significantly narrow that gap.

Edited by Stacy in NJ

(Where is that blushing smilie?) Thank you Shari, you have made my morning.

I also was stopping by this thread, as I was thinking about it this morning as I hunted down my iPad from ds room, where he was up way past me last night reading with it.

The iPad/Kindle has been a HUGE inspiration in our house. At the beginning of October, we introduced reading books/ with Text-to-Speech turned on, at this point, ds has read 12 novels for his own pleasure ( The Hunger Games triology, Maximum Ride series, Ranger's Apprentice series). I know ds would not have been able to read all of those books on his own, in such as short period of time.

In fact, ds's reading has inspired my dh, who doesn't really read much, to read these same books too (on the iTouch).

I would say to stick with it. We didnt' use Barton but it took YEARS for my now 15dd to learn to read. She is actually mentally impaired but her scores look like she has LDs on top of it---very wide range of scores.

I would say that the standardized tests aren't likely to show how much progress she is making for another 1-2 or more years as they don't test the skills she is working hard on right now. You are building a great foundation right now.