Menu

When is a child ready to start cursive?

Cranberry

I waited until my dd was fluently and easily writing manuscript. She's learning now in 3rd grade. Beechick says it should only take 3 weeks if your dc writes well enough in manuscript. After dd learns all the letters this next week, I'm going to use the 3 week suggestions from Beechick.

Some families start with cursive first, others wait until the child has become proficient with printing.

My 6 year old has been begging to learn cursive. She learned how to print her letters and numerals during the year she was four, then she had a year of simple copywork in manuscript. I figure she really can't be any neater or print her sentences with greater ease than she does now, so it's time to move on to cursive.

She will have a year of basic instruction in how to make cursive letters and joins, but I'll keep her copywork going along in manuscript. After she's learned to write in cursive, her copywork will shift to cursive. HTH.

I teach cursive very early. My oldest learned cursive first, and my 5yo is working through the cursive capitals, and my 4yo is learning cursive lowercase. Both of my youngers picked up printing before I could teach any handwriting.

I've noticed that with all 3 of mine now that their cursive is much nicer than their printing, generally speaking. I do think there is something physically natural about the cursive motions that is absent in printing that makes their writing look more mature in cursive....their printing looks like a normal 7yo, 5yo, and 4yo.

I will tell you how it is in our case and what some profecional teachers told me (that does has truth to it)

My DS5 just recently strated asking about cursive. I showed him how to write his name and now he is absessed with it :) i dont push it at all though. We do have cursive lessons every week so that he can blend other letters together whenever he likes it. I asked him why he wants to learn that and he said "mommy, because its sooooo pretty!"

OK this is what a collage professor said who traines teachers:

"once you start introdusing cursive, DO NOT learn new spellign words in cursive. Learn new words in print. Because thats how kids see the words first (in books, on signs, on the bill boards and so on) - so that will really help them to memorize the spelling if its in the print. Once the kid is very familier with the word then he can start writing that in cursive."

My SIL is elemntary teacher told me something like "not to introduce cursive till 3rd grade because they do so much learning about rules first" i am guessing its the same thing what Teacher #1 said...

BUT beeing a mommy i know my kid well and better. I dont introduce new vacabulary words in cursive but he can practice it IF he likes it since he is only 5. If he is older he would defenatly cover the grammer well and will be familier with words and have strong knowladge of spelling then i will be switching to all cursive but maybe when he is 7?

My oldest dd started in 2nd grade. She is a leftie, and really hadn't progressed much in her penmanship since Kindergarten. I use Cursive Connections, which emphasizes connecting the letters (obviously ;)). My 1st grader really wants to start cursive, but she can't get the hang of the capital L for her name.

My oldest dd started in 2nd grade. She is a leftie, and really hadn't progressed much in her penmanship since Kindergarten. I use Cursive Connections, which emphasizes connecting the letters (obviously ;)). My 1st grader really wants to start cursive, but she can't get the hang of the capital L for her name.

letter L is the first my DS5 learned in Cursicive lol Its the first letter in his name though :001_tt2: But hang in there!

If a child can write in manuscript, then they can write in cursive. Many people believe that cursive is actually easier than manuscript, because it eliminates reversals and improves spacing issues. We transitioned to cursive with dd5 over the summer, and it only took a couple of months.

If a child can write in manuscript, then they can write in cursive. Many people believe that cursive is actually easier than manuscript, because it eliminates reversals and improves spacing issues. We transitioned to cursive with dd5 over the summer, and it only took a couple of months.

There's also the benefit of all the lower case letters beginning in the same place so the child doesn't have to remember.

:iagree:

My son started to learn cursive at 5.9. His printing was terribly messy with lots of reversals. Three months later, this is his letter to Santa. He actually writes much neater when writing his school work and has midlines to work with.

santaletter013b.jpg

This one was after only about a month and a half. He was still 5.

handwriting.jpg

thanks for all the advice everyone!

Well, it's obviously too late for me to do cursive first...so...

I think I'll have him get started after Christmas. I have a sneaking suspicion that he's going to balk at it though. He's not the type of kid to care much about "pretty." :lol: I do have the Seton handwriting book that introduces cursive but I'm betting that I'll just pick and choose and just end up making my own thing for him to practice every day.

anyone know of free printables online?

Zenz, very cute with the santa letter...am I understanding right that your son is asking for a trash compactor? :D

thanks for all the advice everyone!

Well, it's obviously too late for me to do cursive first...so...

I think I'll have him get started after Christmas. I have a sneaking suspicion that he's going to balk at it though. He's not the type of kid to care much about "pretty." :lol: I do have the Seton handwriting book that introduces cursive but I'm betting that I'll just pick and choose and just end up making my own thing for him to practice every day.

anyone know of free printables online?

Zenz, very cute with the santa letter...am I understanding right that your son is asking for a trash compactor? :D

My son learned printing first and complained for a minute about learning cursive. Then I told him that cursive is what many grown ups write and it's what the older kids learn to write in school. Of course he likes to be like the bigger kids so then he was all for it!

He IS asking for a trash compactor! But it's a lego set depicting the trash compactor scene from Toy Story 3. :)

I have one starting in 3rd (she broke her right arm in K5), and one starting in 2nd. We are using "A Reason for Handwriting" the transition one where you start with print and transition into cursive. They are finding it difficult, but we are happy with it for the most part.

Here in our corner of Australia, children only learn cursive letters. They separate the letters at first, then join then up. That way there are only a few minor changes to a few letters when they're doing proper cursive writing.

Min