Menu

Apologia, yet again;)

Have your children taken both semesters of an Apologia class, and then gone to college and signed up for a semester or a year of that same subject? How did they do?

For example, has anyone's child done Physics I and II and then taken two semesters in college, and found they sailed through just fine?

Not that this is the answer I'm hoping for, of course.:D

Have your children taken both semesters of an Apologia class, and then gone to college and signed up for a semester or a year of that same subject? How did they do?

For example, has anyone's child done Physics I and II and then taken two semesters in college, and found they sailed through just fine?

Not that this is the answer I'm hoping for, of course.:D

I'm interested in this answer as well. No tomatoes, please, but the only stories I've ever read that met the criteria of your second paragraph were of students who went to bible colleges. I don't know anything about those colleges, so I can't judge if that is a good measure or not. :confused:

a

You know, I've been thinking about this a little the last few days, Donna. Dd wants to do pre-med, and I really want her to be as well prepared as possible for med school, or whatever else she wants to do, so I've leaned toward just having her start fresh at college, despite all she's done at home. But that's not very thrifty, is it? So maybe I will have to rethink this . . .

Well, my engineering major son just did the first physics book, then took 2 semesters of honors physics at college and did just fine (as in A's in the classes). He also had done through Saxon Calculus at home. I don't know if that made any difference -- he did not do Saxon Physics.

I believe in a redo at college for the classes in their major which is why he took calculus again at college.

Linda

:iagree:

From everything I've heard, if you're going into any of the sciences or engineering it is best to retake the core classes of science and math again in college. I don''t think you can ever have too strong of a foundation in those areas. The only exception I can think of is possibly clepping or using AP credit for bio.

To save money, we're doing AP classes for other areas: humanities, english, and history.

I also think you can add rigor to any program. For example, dd is doing chemistry now. I have a weekly one hour "tutoring" session with her where we cover/review the more difficult topics that she's done: balancing equations, stochiometry etc. until I feel like she's mastered them. I find extra problems online from Thinkwell and Georgia public broadcasting.

I plan to do this with the math portion of physics too.

You know, I've been thinking about this a little the last few days, Donna. Dd wants to do pre-med, and I really want her to be as well prepared as possible for med school, or whatever else she wants to do, so I've leaned toward just having her start fresh at college, despite all she's done at home. But that's not very thrifty, is it? So maybe I will have to rethink this . . .

From what I've been reading (in the same boat with pre-med) even if the undergrad school offers credit for AP, Clep or cc classes, most MED schools don't (for pre-req classes like science). Therefore, it's best to redo any science classes. The other "plus" to this is that it should be an easy A for the student keeping that all important GPA high. I've also seen it recommended that a student audit the really tough courses like Organic Chem the summer before they actually take the class.

Getting into undergrad is not all that tough for pre-meds. Surviving with a high enough GPA and extra curriculars (like research, shadowing, volunteering, etc) is the kicker. Even then, over half the applicants to med school don't get in (anywhere, not just top 20), so learning how to best approach it seems critical. Take science classes in high school, turn down credit in undergrad (for these science classes), retake them in a 4 year undergrad, get A's (easier than if the info were new) and keep doing all the extra curriculars needed, etc.

I haven't had a student in college in science classes yet (aside from my middle son who just completed a cc class in microbio with the highest grade in his class >100%), but from what I understand from others IRL, Apologia is a good high school course as long as one knows evolution thoroughly too. My middle son is doing both courses for each science (Bio, Chem, and Physics - next year for Physics). I've yet to decide if I want him to take the AP or SAT II for Bio and Chem (AP is HARD to find within an hours drive of us), but either of those will be for admission only - not for college credit even if he gets a 5 on the AP's (as he should).

If you were trying for a UC school (University of California), they are very biased against Apologia purely due to the author's beliefs, but they are the only school I've seen reported that way. The rest want to see outside confirmation of mommy grades and don't care how one got there.

Well, this isn't quite the answer maybe that you're looking for, but perhaps it will help. Ds did both Apologia physics books in one year (junior yr). He took the Physics SAT II right after that and scored extremely high. In his senior year he did Stanford EPGY's AP Physics C--Mechanics (which would be the equivalent of college physics I--and EPGY is very rigorous) and sailed through that. He said it was all the same stuff, just using some calculus.

Now he is a freshman at Carnegie Mellon University. He hasn't taken physics yet--but is going to see if he can place out of Physics I altogether (says he really doesn't want to do it a 3rd time...:001_smile:)

Well, my engineering major son just did the first physics book, then took 2 semesters of honors physics at college and did just fine (as in A's in the classes). He also had done through Saxon Calculus at home. I don't know if that made any difference -- he did not do Saxon Physics.

I believe in a redo at college for the classes in their major which is why he took calculus again at college.

Linda

Good advice! Thanks, Linda! Dd is planning to do Saxon physics at some point, but I'm not sure when. She's planning to do Physics II next year, so she'll either double up on physics, or do the Saxon one her senior year.

And thanks once again for the confidence booster about Saxon math -- dd really likes it!:)

:iagree:

From everything I've heard, if you're going into any of the sciences or engineering it is best to retake the core classes of science and math again in college. I don''t think you can ever have too strong of a foundation in those areas. The only exception I can think of is possibly clepping or using AP credit for bio.

To save money, we're doing AP classes for other areas: humanities, english, and history.

This sounds very sensible, Michelle. Thanks!

I also think you can add rigor to any program. For example, dd is doing chemistry now. I have a weekly one hour "tutoring" session with her where we cover/review the more difficult topics that she's done: balancing equations, stochiometry etc. until I feel like she's mastered them. I find extra problems online from Thinkwell and Georgia public broadcasting.

I plan to do this with the math portion of physics too.

You are so nice, Michelle! What a good mom!

I, unfortunately, am a slacker. Dd does everything herself, including her own grades. She has occasionally looked for extra problems on the internet in chem, and has definitely found that helpful. And the poor thing won't get any help from me in physics, either, not only because I never took it myself, but because I couldn't even help ds11 with his 5th grade math today!:eek:

Creekland, thanks so much for all those tips!

I think we'll just go ahead and treat all hs work as prep for college. I hope she'll just be well prepared and ready to go when she starts. She really likes her studies, and I am grateful. She's mentioned that if she doesn't get into med school, she may consider an IT career, instead, so she'll be taking some computer sci classes in college as well.

Once again, thank you so much!:)

Well, this isn't quite the answer maybe that you're looking for, but perhaps it will help. Ds did both Apologia physics books in one year (junior yr). He took the Physics SAT II right after that and scored extremely high. In his senior year he did Stanford EPGY's AP Physics C--Mechanics (which would be the equivalent of college physics I--and EPGY is very rigorous) and sailed through that. He said it was all the same stuff, just using some calculus.

Now he is a freshman at Carnegie Mellon University. He hasn't taken physics yet--but is going to see if he can place out of Physics I altogether (says he really doesn't want to do it a 3rd time...:001_smile:)

Wow! Very impressive! Thanks for sharing that!:)

My son has taken three degree-track science courses (not remedial) in the past several terms. His opinion is that Apologia prepared him well for college work. He had A's in the two chemistry courses he's taken and did well on the NCE finals which his instructor uses instead of self-made exams. He did get a B in physics this last semester. He was within in reach of an A, but got behind in homework and blew an exam while he was dealing with a nasty virus:glare:. That said, he feels that having completed both Apologia texts would have been even better than just one. BTW, he did not do any of the Apologia advanced texts, but he is familiar enough with the content to say that the college texts go into more depth so that he feels that Apologia I & II followed by a college course would not be redundant.

I do think from what I've seen of the materials used in his cc's "intro" (remedial) or "elements of" (non-majors) courses that Apologia I & II plus those courses would probably be redundant for students who did reasonably well with the Apologia texts.

Hello! My older ds just completed his first semester in college as an engineering student. In high school, he did both Apologia chem texts (along with an SAT II prep book) during 9th and 10th grades. He found that he was well prepared for his university chem class, and he was glad that he remembered as much as he did after tucking it away for a couple of years! He got an A in his Chem 1 class and hopes to do as well next semester in Chem 2. He also used both Apologia bio texts, but I don't think he is required to take any bio unless he decides to switch to biomedical engineering. He used a different text for Physics (outside class), so we will see next semester how well that prepared him! Thinkwell Calc did a great job getting him ready for his calc 1 class!

Merry Christmas!

Blessings,

April

I see students succeed in my calculus based physics classes at the university who had no highschool physics at all. And then there are always students who struggle who did have physics in high school.

Most of the students in my algebra based physics at uni have not taken highschool physics; some do very well, some fail.

Thanks for this info - CMU is my son's dream school right now due to his interest in robotics. Of course, he's still young and may change his mind & will certainly be allowed to do so.

My dd took Apologia Chemistry and Advanced Chemistry in high school through our co-op. She got A's from a rigorous teacher with a Bio-Chem background.

Dd took the CLEP after Advanced Chem, but her score (60) was not high enough at her University for credit. When she took the CLEP, she said there were some items on the test that she did not recognize even after two years of Apologia Chemistry.

Dd is an excellent student and just completed her first semester at college with a 4.0. I really think her inability to pass the CLEP was due to the content of the Apologia Chemistry program.

Dd took Chemistry this semester in college. She got an A. There were several tests where the prof said only an handful of his 200 students got A's. She was always one of them. So.......while she didn't pass the CLEP, she was obviously well prepared for college level chemistry.

My ds (our oldest) completed both Apologia Physics books in high school, with As on the exams. He did the first in 10th grade and the second in 12th grade. He did not take the Physics B AP or the SAT II Physics exams. There is no Physics CLEP exam.

He took calculus-based physics in at a large state school as a requirement of his engineering major, studying Physics I in the spring of his freshman year and Physics II in the fall of his sophomore year. He earned an A in both courses.

That said, he felt it was nice to have had the concepts of physics in high school, but he doesn't feel he was any better prepared than many of his classmates. He still had to work hard for his grades in college.

Our dd (2nd oldest) did not use Apologia for physics, but that's another story. We like Apologia just fine, though.

HTH,

GardenMom

My son has taken three degree-track science courses (not remedial) in the past several terms. His opinion is that Apologia prepared him well for college work. He had A's in the two chemistry courses he's taken and did well on the NCE finals which his instructor uses instead of self-made exams. He did get a B in physics this last semester. He was within in reach of an A, but got behind in homework and blew an exam while he was dealing with a nasty virus:glare:. That said, he feels that having completed both Apologia texts would have been even better than just one. BTW, he did not do any of the Apologia advanced texts, but he is familiar enough with the content to say that the college texts go into more depth so that he feels that Apologia I & II followed by a college course would not be redundant.

I do think from what I've seen of the materials used in his cc's "intro" (remedial) or "elements of" (non-majors) courses that Apologia I & II plus those courses would probably be redundant for students who did reasonably well with the Apologia texts.

So even two semesters of Apologia is not equivalent to one semester of a college course in the major? Wow. I wouldn't have guessed this. Thanks for the heads up!

Hello! My older ds just completed his first semester in college as an engineering student. In high school, he did both Apologia chem texts (along with an SAT II prep book) during 9th and 10th grades. He found that he was well prepared for his university chem class, and he was glad that he remembered as much as he did after tucking it away for a couple of years! He got an A in his Chem 1 class and hopes to do as well next semester in Chem 2. He also used both Apologia bio texts, but I don't think he is required to take any bio unless he decides to switch to biomedical engineering. He used a different text for Physics (outside class), so we will see next semester how well that prepared him! Thinkwell Calc did a great job getting him ready for his calc 1 class!

Merry Christmas!

Blessings,

April

I am glad to hear he did so well, even though it had been a while since he had seen the material.

Your mentioning this brings up another concern I have, that of waiting too long to start college after doing the adv. sciences. We have talked of having dd start college at 17, just to keep the academic flow going, but she doesn't want to leave the family early, and if we send her at 17, she would have to live in the dorm and take the food plan. If we send her at 18, she'll just live in our house in America and drive herself to school. It's still a debate, and one we're just going to have to really think hard about over the next year. Anytime I brought it up last year, she just started to cry, so I just dropped it.

Your post may restart talks on this subject this weekend . . . thank you!:)

I see students succeed in my calculus based physics classes at the university who had no highschool physics at all. And then there are always students who struggle who did have physics in high school.

Most of the students in my algebra based physics at uni have not taken highschool physics; some do very well, some fail.

So it sounds like we'll just have to see how it goes for her. Thanks, regentrude, for sharing your experience.:)

My dd took Apologia Chemistry and Advanced Chemistry in high school through our co-op. She got A's from a rigorous teacher with a Bio-Chem background.

Dd took the CLEP after Advanced Chem, but her score (60) was not high enough at her University for credit. When she took the CLEP, she said there were some items on the test that she did not recognize even after two years of Apologia Chemistry.

Dd is an excellent student and just completed her first semester at college with a 4.0. I really think her inability to pass the CLEP was due to the content of the Apologia Chemistry program.

Dd took Chemistry this semester in college. She got an A. There were several tests where the prof said only an handful of his 200 students got A's. She was always one of them. So.......while she didn't pass the CLEP, she was obviously well prepared for college level chemistry.

Wow. It would be interesting to know which parts were not included in Apologia, if she can remember . . . But it's certainly good that she was well-prepared, in any case. :)

That said, he felt it was nice to have had the concepts of physics in high school, but he doesn't feel he was any better prepared than many of his classmates. He still had to work hard for his grades in college.

HTH,

GardenMom

Wow. It sounds like it's just hard, period. I hope dd is up to the challenge. I know she's a hard worker, but we'll just have to see if she's smart enough.

As always, thanks for your posts, GardenMom. We learn so much from you!:)

Hi JLD!

I'm not following why your daughter would need to go to college at 17. I would think that even if she completes all the usual high school science courses, that she could still go more in depth on one of those, or even explore something entirely different. Volunteering in a hospital would be great experience, as well as on her applications, and would help her to learn even more about medicine in general. She could always review each of her science texts during her senior year so none of it is stale by the time she gets to college.

No BTDT experience, but so far I'm thrilled with the Apologia texts. My dd often brings up things she's learned as they apply in real life. In other words, she's gaining a good understanding of the concepts. :)

Off topic: Can you believe it's so close to Christmas?!!

Wishing you and your family, and all here, a very Merry Christmas!!! :)

:lurk5: My kids are using Apologia now, but our oldest is 11. I am enjoying reading this thread. In my own experience, I decided not to skip college courses for those I earned AP credits for, simply because I didn't want to 'miss' anything. I agree with one of the earlier posts that this is good for your GPA and I didn't find it boring (though some was redundant).

So even two semesters of Apologia is not equivalent to one semester of a college course in the major? Wow. I wouldn't have guessed this. Thanks for the heads up!

I believe that two semesters of Apologia is not equivalent to a year's worth of an engineering or science major course in science. I know that RRH's son studied both levels of Apologia Chem and got a 5 on the Chem AP, but I believe that his experience is the exception (plus, I'd love to know what else he used to study for the AP!).

Wow. It would be interesting to know which parts were not included in Apologia, if she can remember . . . But it's certainly good that she was well-prepared, in any case. :)

If someone has done a comparison of Apologia Chem, Physics, or Bio with the AP requirements, I'd really like to see that, too.

Wow. It sounds like it's just hard, period. I hope dd is up to the challenge. I know she's a hard worker, but we'll just have to see if she's smart enough.

As always, thanks for your posts, GardenMom. We learn so much from you!:)

You're very welcome!

I do not know your dd personally, but from what you've posted it seems like she is a very smart, hardworking, and self-motivated girl. She will absolutely do very well in anything she chooses. You do not need to worry about her!

GardenMom

FWIW, I took a year of algebra-based Physics in high school and a semester of calculus-based "Advanced Physics" while also being the lab assistant for two years (setting up all the labs, grading work, etc.). I don't remember what my AP score for Physics was, but I think it was a 5. AP credits didn't count for squat at my college, so I still had to take two semesters of Physics for my engineering degree. First semester covered the year of regular physics. The first few weeks of second semester Physics covered my semester of Adv. Physics from high school. Then, I was completely on my own. I think I pulled a B in Physics II. (I'm glad I didn't have to take Physics III.)

Hi JLD!

I'm not following why your daughter would need to go to college at 17. I would think that even if she completes all the usual high school science courses' date=' that she could still go more in depth on one of those, or even explore something entirely different. Volunteering in a hospital would be great experience, as well as on her applications, and would help her to learn even more about medicine in general. She could always review each of her science texts during her senior year so none of it is stale by the time she gets to college.

No BTDT experience, but so far I'm thrilled with the Apologia texts. My dd often brings up things she's learned as they apply in real life. In other words, she's gaining a good understanding of the concepts. :)[/quote']

Reviewing/studying more is definitely a possibility for senior year, TM. And, realistically, it's probably the way to go. But dd is basically already functioning like a college student, and part of me doesn't see why she shouldn't just go for it, since she's ready, kwim? Also, the program she wants to do is five years, basically a double major in molecular bio and comp sci. If she starts at 17, she'll finish at 22, with some research experience in there, which should be a plus if she still wants to do med school.

And yes, it's Christmas (well, Eve at least, here!)! A very blessed, very Merry Christmas to you and yours!:)

:lurk5: My kids are using Apologia now, but our oldest is 11. I am enjoying reading this thread. In my own experience, I decided not to skip college courses for those I earned AP credits for, simply because I didn't want to 'miss' anything. I agree with one of the earlier posts that this is good for your GPA and I didn't find it boring (though some was redundant).

Glad you like it! I have asked (for affirmation, lol!) about the quality of Apologia so many times that I'm afraid I've become redundant, lol! But some kind moms continue to offer their experience/support, and I really am grateful!:)

I believe that two semesters of Apologia is not equivalent to a year's worth of an engineering or science major course in science. I know that RRH's son studied both levels of Apologia Chem and got a 5 on the Chem AP, but I believe that his experience is the exception (plus, I'd love to know what else he used to study for the AP!).

If someone has done a comparison of Apologia Chem, Physics, or Bio with the AP requirements, I'd really like to see that, too.

You're very welcome!

I do not know your dd personally, but from what you've posted it seems like she is a very smart, hardworking, and self-motivated girl. She will absolutely do very well in anything she chooses. You do not need to worry about her!

GardenMom

Thanks for your interest in these questions, GardenMom. Maybe someone will share some responses . . .:)

I'm not exactly worried about her, but she's our first, and I'm sure you know how that is, lol. I think the message she's definitely getting is that college science is just hard, and requires careful, consistent daily work, plus some natural aptitude. I'm hopeful for her, but we're really just going to have to see how it goes. But thanks for the confidence booster! And a very Merry Christmas to you and your family!:)

FWIW, I took a year of algebra-based Physics in high school and a semester of calculus-based "Advanced Physics" while also being the lab assistant for two years (setting up all the labs, grading work, etc.). I don't remember what my AP score for Physics was, but I think it was a 5. AP credits didn't count for squat at my college, so I still had to take two semesters of Physics for my engineering degree. First semester covered the year of regular physics. The first few weeks of second semester Physics covered my semester of Adv. Physics from high school. Then, I was completely on my own. I think I pulled a B in Physics II. (I'm glad I didn't have to take Physics III.)

This is just a good reality check, RA. Thank you. I never fail to be humbled by how hard adv. science is. Every science major has my respect!

Reviewing/studying more is definitely a possibility for senior year, TM. And, realistically, it's probably the way to go. But dd is basically already functioning like a college student, and part of me doesn't see why she shouldn't just go for it, since she's ready, kwim? Also, the program she wants to do is five years, basically a double major in molecular bio and comp sci. If she starts at 17, she'll finish at 22, with some research experience in there, which should be a plus if she still wants to do med school.

And yes, it's Christmas (well, Eve at least, here!)! A very blessed, very Merry Christmas to you and yours!:)

It sounds like she's more than ready academically, but is enjoying being with her family. To me that's a good thing! :)

Thank you!!! Merry Christmas!!!! :)

Your mentioning this brings up another concern I have, that of waiting too long to start college after doing the adv. sciences. We have talked of having dd start college at 17, just to keep the academic flow going, but she doesn't want to leave the family early, and if we send her at 17, she would have to live in the dorm and take the food plan. If we send her at 18, she'll just live in our house in America and drive herself to school. It's still a debate, and one we're just going to have to really think hard about over the next year. Anytime I brought it up last year, she just started to cry, so I just dropped it.

I don't think you need to worry about waiting too long. It sounds like your dd is is very strong academically and that's a skill that won't disappear. As another poster said, she can always keep review going, expand her horizons and develop her confidence and maturity during her senior year. Doing online or distance college courses while staying at home would be another really good option.

I would be very, very cautious about sending her away to college at 17, especially if it means going far away from home (if she could live at home it might be different) and especially if the thought is making her cry at this point--that's a strong indication she's not ready emotionally.

I know a family (non-homeschooling) that sent their son to a private college several states away--at age 15. This boy was (and hopefully still is, but I'm not sure) very advanced academically, and I'm sure they had the best of intentions and just wanted to keep the academic challenge going for him. Now after 2 years he has transferred to a local state school... and may be living at home. He was a sharp-minded boy when he left; now he seems very shy, immature and withdrawn, and appears to have difficulty making very minor decisions (like what food to order)--quite the opposite of the growth in confidence and maturity that one normally sees in a kid who's gone off to college. It makes me so sad. Now I'm just an outside observer--I don't know this family really well and have no idea of what's actually happened with this boy, but I can't help but feel that he went away from home WAY too soon.

That's my son's impression--he definitely thinks Apologia is high school level. He found that a lot of his college classmates were struggling with basic concepts, though, while he had the luxury of focusing on the areas where the college texts went into more detail. BTW, he hasn't and doesn't plan to take biology in college--so his perspective is limited to chemistry and physics.

I would be very, very cautious about sending her away to college at 17, especially if it means going far away from home (if she could live at home it might be different) and especially if the thought is making her cry at this point--that's a strong indication she's not ready emotionally.

I talked with dh this morning, and he said we will just let her decide when she is ready to go.

I think she probably will be fine. Her interest in science is high, and I don't think she'll just sit around that last year. She wants to do some volunteer work here in India starting in January, and who knows what that may lead to?

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I appreciate your sensitivity to my dd's feelings.:)

That's my son's impression--he definitely thinks Apologia is high school level. He found that a lot of his college classmates were struggling with basic concepts, though, while he had the luxury of focusing on the areas where the college texts went into more detail. BTW, he hasn't and doesn't plan to take biology in college--so his perspective is limited to chemistry and physics.

That sounds good enough for me. Thank you for sharing this!:)

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I've been debating whether to drive 1 hour+ away and pay the couple hundred dollars to take the AP Chem test or just stick with the SAT II test for Chem. Considering he won't be accepting the AP credit if he were to get it from a college (for Med school reasons), it seems all around better just to take the SAT II here at the local school.