Menu

ETC - Where to begin?

engu

4.5 y/o DD has been doing a School Awareness program at preschool for the last 6 months, which teaches basic letter and number recognition as well as basic handwriting skills. She's also completed half of the Phonics Pathway book - just the reading part - so she's good with her phonemic awareness.

I was thinking of starting her on Explode the Code next month, but I'm not sure what level to start on. I was thinking maybe from the beginning with book A-C, or maybe book 1 as that seems to start with the vowels.

What do you think?

Sounds to me, based on your description of what she has already done, that you could start with book 1. No need to do A, B, & C since she already knows her letters and sounds - would seem "remedial" to her at this point. : ) FWIW: I have used ETC with my two oldest (so far) and they have both done very well. I think it is the simple, straight-forward style that keeps them engaged. Best wishes!

Books A-C are very gentle introductions to letters, their sounds, and how to write each letter. There are probably 6 or 7 pages for each letter with coloring activities, tracing, etc. It sounds like your daughter has been through most of this?

You know her best, if you think that working through these would be fun for her or would give her confidence (if that is needed), then give it a try. She is likely ready for Book 1, which is more reading activities with CVC words (short vowels). You can see some sample pages at RR and amazon, if that helps.

I LOVE explode the code. My son will finish up the books this year, and my DD is working through C.