Menu

Homemade cinnamon roll dough storage?

I'm making a roll of cinnamon bun dough. I want use to use it for breakfast on Thursday. How should I store it?

Should I wrap it in cellophane and put it in the fridge or freezer? I want to be able to cut the roll into slices and bake that morning, just as if it were store bought cinnamon bun dough (like the Pillsbury kind in the cardboard tube).

Once I cut the dough to bake on Thursday, will it need to rise again?

Can't seem to find any info on how to do this. Please help.:D

We make a batch of cinnamon rolls on Christmas eve and then put the pan in the refrigerator overnight. Early Christmas morning I take them out, bring to room temp., and then bake. They rise very slowly all night in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap that I spray Pam on. Hope that helps a little.

Hmmm. Maybe if you freeze the roll, then pull it out Wed. night before you go to bed to thaw and rise a bit, then slice and bake in the morning? I am planning cinnamon rolls for Christmas breakfast and I am going to make them up and bake them tomorrow, then freeze the finished rolls, pull them out the night before to thaw and reheat them in the morning, adding the frosting then. Here is a cut and paste from the Pioneer Woman blog (where I got my recipe):

4. Freezing Rolls: When?

I’m often asked when in the process the cinnamon rolls can be frozen.

The answer is…anytime!

* You can freeze the rolls, unrisen, in the pan. Cover them tightly with both plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Then you’ll just need to remove them, allow them to thaw and rise, and continue the baking and icing process.

* You can freeze the rolls, baked but unfrosted. Later, you can thaw them out, warm them for just a few minutes in the oven, and ice them while warm.

* OR you can freeze the rolls completely iced and finished. Just allow them to cool, then cover with plastic wrap and foil. This is how I normally freeze them and they turn out just fine.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/10/notes-on-cinnamon-rolls/

HTH!

I make the dough for such things and then do the cinnamon-ing / buttering and rolling on the same day. I would be afraid it would get a bit messy/ugly if you shaped it in a roll before hand, plus I don't let it rise in the log form. You could make it faster by preping your cinnamon sugar so it wouldn't take long. I tend to use a bit less yeast for such long rises.

Here is what I did:

After I rolled in the cinnamon sugar mixture, I put in freezer before the rise.

Here is my plan:

I plan on taking them out tomorrow night, slice frozen, place in pan and put in fridge over night.

Do you think they will thaw and rise over night in fridge or will I need to let them rise or come to room temp before baking?

I hope this works!:tongue_smilie:

maybe just not fully browned. Then I wrap them in tinfoil and freeze. I take them out the night before and leave on the counter. In the morning I put them in the oven - still wrapped in foil - on 350 until hot all the way through - 15-20min? Then frost them.

I tried for years to do the bake in the morning thing and they never came out right - or we had to wait too long for them.

Here is my plan:

I plan on taking them out tomorrow night, slice frozen, place in pan and put in fridge over night.

Do you think they will thaw and rise over night in fridge or will I need to let them rise or come to room temp before baking?

I hope this works!:tongue_smilie:

Unless you have some kind of super-de-duper knife and a lot of strength, I don't think you will be able to cut them frozen. I would cut, freeze, thaw and rise. You shouldn't have to worry about freezer burn since they will be frozen for just a few days.

And at least in my fridge, they wouldn't thaw and rise overnight. Depending on how much fat and sugar (both can slow rise time in large amounts) is in the recipe, do count on a looong rise time. I recently made cinnamon rolls, which I let rise in the refridgerator overnight. They barely rose at all. Good thing I wasn't in a time crunch.

As has been mentioned, I think your best bet would be to form, raise, and partially cook the rolls, then freeze. When I do brown-and-serve homemade yeast rolls, I cook until insides are done, but short of browning, shaving maybe 2-3 minutes off the expected cook time. Later, I return to a hotter (425) oven for about 6 minutes or until nicely browned. Rise times are notoriously difficult to predict with accuracy. I've saved myself much dinner angst by making the rolls brown-and-serve.;)

I just did this tonight. I make the dough, roll, cut, then freeze. After they're frozen I throw them in a freezer bag. The night before I want to to use them, I pull out however many we need and let them sit out covered on the counter overnight. In the morning they've thawed, risen, and are ready to bake!