Menu

Saying "dude" ?

I guess I would never classify it the same as "sucks". I hate "sucks". Even if I can get the filthy allusion out of my head, it has such a cynical tone to it. We don't allow that "s" word in my house, nor the other one, for that matter.

However, "dude" in casual conversation is much more friendly and positive. It usually speaks of inclusiveness. almost like an inside joke or a nick-name. At least, this is how I have heard it referenced.

:iagree:

I think there was a commercial about that once. But if I say "Dude" in various tones, sometimes it's all I have to say all day.

I can say "Dude" and it means "hurry up."

I can say "Dude" and it means, "Seriously? You don't really think I am going to clean up all the dishes for you, do you."

I can say "Dude" and it means, "Redo all these algebra problems showing your work neatly."

I also like "Dude" because then I don't have to say the name of the child I am taking to, and usually when I try to say a name I end up saying all three names plus those of my husband and dog trying to hit on the correct one.

But honestly, I don't think I say Dude when I am around other adults or in social situations with women my own age. It's more something I say with my kids in a sort of light hearted way.

We, like, totally said "dude" all the time when we were in jr. high, in the '80s, when everything was all rad and awesome. No horses' butt hairs about it. (Eww! Gag me with a spoon.) "Dude" has, like, way too many grammatical uses for me to give it up completely. It's like, way less annoying for me than saying "like" all the time, which I totally still do way too often, like, especially when I use it as a synonym for "say." Same problem with "all." I'll be all like, "...and I'm all _______" when I should say, "and I said _______," like a grown-up modeling proper speech and stuff to my little dudes. But ya know, you can take the girl outta the Valley, but the Valley is totally staying with her.

:D

I would have never pegged you for a VG. You hide it well....:lol:

It doesn't bother me in the least. Informal slang words come and go, and that will not change. People say it in my area all the time. My teenage son and his friends use it regularly. I don't say it simply because it sounds (to my ears anyway) silly coming out of my mouth. I don't think it sounds silly when others say it though.

I grew up in SoCal. It is a permanent part of my vocabulary. I say it, my kids say it. We also say gnarly, awesome, rad and sick (=awesome). I'm sure there is more that I'm missing. It has never occured to me that others may find it annoying, not that I really care!

And really, you shouldn't! We all have our pet peeves. ;)

I didn't read much of this... but I have to add this in for flavor...

For years I have been called, "Dude, mom!" We are in California. My kids will start a sentence, "Dude, Mom, you've got to see this!"

BUT, this year it faded away. I realized after many months that I haven't been called this for such a long time. It was almost a trademark. I was Dude, Mom! I almost miss it.

And, by the way, my children are quite educated... get good grades... are in advanced classes in high school, etc.

It's just a social-slang thing...

And so, I started giggling reading a bit about "dude" here...

I call my male students "dude" all the time. They think it's great fun. :D I use it in the "duuuude" way, which means you're being slow or silly. My dd use it in the same way with ds: "Duuude, you forgot to pick your undies up off the bathroom floor.", etc.

:iagree:

When I was teaching 6-8 grade I used it to get them back on task or correct behavior in a light-hearted way. Especially in my math and boys' PE classes, saying, "James, please pay attention." was much less effective than, "Dude, I'm still talking." "You've got this, Dude." was much more encouraging to them than the equivalent formal/non-slang phrase. I was definitely the strictest teacher there, but I felt I needed to be flexible with my speech to make them comfortable and/or get things done. It was precious to see a too-cool, surly, struggling 14-year-old's eyes light up when I put my hand on his shoulder and said, "Dude, awesome job!" about his math homework.

I didn't read much of this... but I have to add this in for flavor...

For years I have been called, "Dude, mom!" We are in California. My kids will start a sentence, "Dude, Mom, you've got to see this!"

BUT, this year it faded away. I realized after many months that I haven't been called this for such a long time. It was almost a trademark. I was Dude, Mom! I almost miss it.

And, by the way, my children are quite educated... get good grades... are in advanced classes in high school, etc.

It's just a social-slang thing...

And so, I started giggling reading a bit about "dude" here...

When I was in college, my friend Sarah was nicknamed Dudeman. We had a dorm mate from SoCal who always said, "Dude, man!" whenever she was startled or excited or happy. Since my friend Sarah seemed to elicit that response from her several times a day, we all started calling Sarah Dudeman. Dh and I even named our car Dudeman after her.

I think there are more important things to concern myself with. Someone saying "dude" doesn't bother me in the least bit.

Susan

I'm the OP. For the record, it's not a big deal. I was just curious because I had not heard the word in a long time and it's not a term used in our house (or among my close friends). ;)

Just a fun question I had.

We're from so cal beach culture here. Dude in my opinion is way better than many of the other hiddy surf culture type words I want to use. I'm always editing what I write here, removing words like gnar gnar, Brah, etc.

I don't like those words, but when you use them jokingly for so long it just becomes part of your vocabulary. We've know many Spicolis, and some of their language was too funny to not use.

To make it worse, my husband and I were both raised by straight out of the 60s parents.

Our language is probably painful for some people.:tongue_smilie:

I tone it down in front of everyone but hubby, then it's like a California, 60s, Spanglish free for all :tongue_smilie:

We say dude in our home, and our boys are all "little dudes" and they are "so totally awesome" too! :lol: The only time I am annoyed by it, is I notice my husband tends to use it more often when talking with teens or college age kids, and I don't think it has the effect he thinks it does. :001_huh:

Oh, and my kids all think the Beatles song is "Hey Dude," which I admit is a travesty.

Wow. This thread is such an education for me. The idea that some people don't use the word "dude" seems so weird to me.

I mean, it doesn't once I think about it - I understand the idea of regional slang - but it had never occurred to me before that "dude" was regional these days. Back in the 80's, sure, but I thought it was normal everywhere now. Huh. Guess I've been in SoCal too long!

Everybody else says, "shiny" though, right? ;)

(Also, is "I know, right?" a regional thing? Or just a 'net thing?)

I guess I would never classify it the same as "sucks". I hate "sucks". Even if I can get the filthy allusion out of my head, it has such a cynical tone to it. We don't allow that "s" word in my house, nor the other one, for that matter.

However, "dude" in casual conversation is much more friendly and positive. It usually speaks of inclusiveness. almost like an inside joke or a nick-name. At least, this is how I have heard it referenced.

I can see why you would think "that sucks" is derogatory-and I'm sure I would think so if I heard it coming out of one of my dc's mouths-but I use it all the time! And the weird thing about that it, I am not one to use slang. I've never said dude (don't have a problem with it) or "girlfriend", or anything like that. I'm not sure where or why the "that sucks" comes from.:confused: