Menu

DS newly lactose intol. help me with christmas dinner!

Guest Barb B

We usually have lasagna christmas day (tradition from when I grew up). I always liked it because it is special and yet easy for me to make ahead and clean up afterwards. I know I could make this lactose free - but ds is just recently lactose intol (age 7) and I don't want to risk trying. Oh - he is also picky. So, I could have ham or steak (which he won't eat). Then I will make sure that there are some sides he likes. So, I need some kid friendly sides for a lactose intol kid who is a picky eater. DH says mashed potatoes; but picky ds doens't eat them (OK - he doesn't try them most of the time - more stubburn then picky). My point is - on a day to day basis - he eats what we eat (at least tries it). Also I will try day to day to have at least one thing he likes and the rest he must have a certain number of bits. Sooo, ideas? The poor kid has been in the bathroom (know what I mean) and is better since lactose free - I would like a holiday meal he will enjoy.

Barb

If it's truly a lactose intolerance, you can just give him Lactaid and he'll be fine.

Make your lasagna!

It does sound like he's both picky (as you say) and LI, so what would he normally eat that you could make with lactose-free cheese or milk?

All veggies would be fine, rice would be fine, salads w/o cheese (check bottled dressings for whey)--really, if it doesn't contain whey, cheese, or milk, you should be fine.

LI is so much easier than corn or gluten intolerance. Are you sure there's none of that, either?

Good luck!

Chris (the LI Queen)

If it's truly a lactose intolerance, you can just give him Lactaid and he'll be fine.

Make your lasagna!

Chris (the LI Queen)

I have to (nicely) disagree. Some people can use Lactaid with good results, and others cannot. My dr (who is also our neighbor and friend) finds that even with Lactaid he ends up quite uncomfortable. If you search for threads on this board you'll see there is a wide range of response to Lactaid--some use it and love it, and others find they are still uncomfortable and the pills only help a little. For that reason I would not recommend making Christmas your test case for this option.

When I make lasagna, I also make some spaghetti noodles and set aside some sauce. My ds then eats spaghetti while we eat our lasagna. I make him garlic bread using EarthBalance vegan butter spread.