Menu

need to vent I feel like scrooge

I counted my chickens before they hatched. I depended on our regular Christmas bonus that we get every year. Only this year there is no Christmas bonus. I am in tears because I have no money to get my son a gift. He just graduated college, and got his lieutenant rank. I didn't get him a gift for that, and now can't afford a Christmas gift for him. My husband's boss who is also his brother didn't bother to inform us until last week. My husband has took his guitar to work intending to sell it at a pawn shop. I am disappointed because we took our savings and got gifts for one kid and a head start on the other, so now gifts are unbalanced. We ordered everything for one child, got one thing for the other child, and nothing for the oldest. It is too late to send things back and get a refund to balance things out. I am so embarrassed, but I plan to call my aunt and ask that she buy my son a gift so he will have something. He didn't ask for much, he asked for a sweater. I don't care that my husband or I will not have a gift this year but I just want my son to have something.

I'm sorry for your situation. I would have to get him something, even if, as you said, I had to sell something to get some money to do it. You can get a fairly nice sweater at Walmart for $20. Can your husband ask his brother for a small advance? Hope things work out. :grouphug:

What a tough situation! I'm so sorry! Is there any way you take some of the gifts you bought ahead for one of your sons and give some of them to your other son or is there too much of an age-gap? Could you sell/pawn anything else? Are there any toys your kids have outgrown that you can post on Craigslist today? Do you have change that you can cash in (sometimes those jars of change really add up!). Is there some sort of family heirloom you could pass onto oldest as his Christmas gift? Something that says, "We're proud of the man you've become."

I bet your DH isn't the only employee in this mess. I think if companies that traditionally give a Christmas bonus are unable to do so, they should at least tell their employees a month or two ahead of time. People do end up depending on that money and planning around it.

I hope you luck out and get some sort of a Christmas miracle!

I would tell the eldest what is going on. He is old enough to understand the situation. The two at home are more difficult. I would probably hold back some of what I had ordered for the one to make it more balanced. Just because you bought it doesn't mean you have to give it. At least everyone is in the same boat that way. Return it if possible. Use what you can scrounge up to get the other something else.

(((HUGS!!)) I know how you feel. We are in a similar situation. I did some contract work the beginning of October that I am owed $600 for and I am still waiting for the check. I took the job with the intention of a portion of that money being for my children's Christmas presents. We don't have anything else in our regular budget to spare. Thankfully my mother has given me a little bit or the kids would have absolutely nothing under the tree. I just feel really bad because my mom would have given us that money anyway and the kids would have had those gifts, plus what we would have bought (still not much though).

On top of that the transmission in my car went out yesterday and we don't have the money to fix it. :tongue_smilie:

I counted my chickens before they hatched. I depended on our regular Christmas bonus that we get every year. Only this year there is no Christmas bonus. I am in tears because I have no money to get my son a gift. He just graduated college, and got his lieutenant rank. I didn't get him a gift for that, and now can't afford a Christmas gift for him. My husband's boss who is also his brother didn't bother to inform us until last week. My husband has took his guitar to work intending to sell it at a pawn shop. I am disappointed because we took our savings and got gifts for one kid and a head start on the other, so now gifts are unbalanced. We ordered everything for one child, got one thing for the other child, and nothing for the oldest. It is too late to send things back and get a refund to balance things out. I am so embarrassed, but I plan to call my aunt and ask that she buy my son a gift so he will have something. He didn't ask for much, he asked for a sweater. I don't care that my husband or I will not have a gift this year but I just want my son to have something.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I counted my chickens before they hatched. I depended on our regular Christmas bonus that we get every year. Only this year there is no Christmas bonus. .... My husband's boss who is also his brother didn't bother to inform us until last week.

Well, that's just awful.

And the fact that it's his own brother makes it doubly rotten. :glare:

Cat