Menu

Need suitcase advice: How many suitcases for family air travel?

We want to but luggage. So far, we have been using a giant-they-don't-make-them-like-that-anymore mustard suitcase that is about 40 years old, various tote-bags and napsacks. We have never been on a plane as a family and now we would like to get suitcases we can use for air travel. We are a family of five and the children are growing of course. I am thinking of getting two 28-inch and two 24-inch suitcases. The two smaller suitcases can be stored in the two larger ones in the hotel and in the basement at home and that is why I am thinking of the two 24-inch suitcases. We will just bring a tote bag or napsack as a carry-on. Does this sound realistic? Any luggage-buying advice? Should I get black or gray?

MamaBearTeacher of DS9, DS6, DS4

The weight restrictions are crazy so look for sturdy but lightweight luggage. If you are not worried about having hard sides to protect souvenirs do consider duffel bags. Also-look for light weight, well constructed wheels to be on the bag-they save many an air traveler. I am even a fan of wheels on carry-on luggage.

Everyone has black bags! If you buy black consider having a luggage tag that you will quickly recognize that will allow you to claim your bag on the first trip around.

If you need to buy the bags you think you need and then test pack for a vacation-add a bag if needed or buy an extra easily folded bag and pack it in case you need room on the trip home.

The number of carry-ons will be determined by what you need for entertainment, length of journey, etc. You will probably want bags that fully close not just totes-they tend to empty out in luggage/overhead compartments and in security. I often took a change of pants and underwear for each kid on long flights just in case...

We traveled this summer by air with boys the same age as yours - we took 3 big suitcases (I would think the "normal" sized ones) that we checked and then each of us carried on a backpack with books, toys, etc. We were gone for 5 full days (left early in the morning and returned home late the fifth night), and the three large suitcases were just enough for everyone's cloths. But, it was also summer and we were visiting Ohio where it was warm day and night. If we were traveling to colder weather places, we'd probably need one more smaller suitcase (maybe something between the regular large sized suitcase and a smaller, carry-on sized one).

Oh, forgot to answer the color question - we had one black, one navy blue, and one jade green one. To make sure we could distinguish ours, we used bright colored yarn and made big braids that we knotted on the handles (a trick my mom does). It worked just fine ... we were able to identify ours quickly when they came down the chute.

And yes, you will more than likely be charged per bag, and at least the airlines we flew, the weight restriction was 50 pounds per bag or they charged you even more. So, take that into account when buying bags ... try to get the most you can into the fewest suitcases without exceeding fifty pounds.

Edited by MyLittleWonders

I'd make sure at least half of them are carry on size, since most flights charge for checking luggage now, so it is nice to check as few pieces as possible. That being said for colors I would go for anything that isn't grey, black or red. The most common colors of luggage are grey, black and red, and having a purple suitcase, a bright blue one or a green one makes it so much easier to find at the luggage carousel.

I am thinking of getting two 28-inch and two 24-inch suitcases. The two smaller suitcases can be stored in the two larger ones in the hotel and in the basement at home and that is why I am thinking of the two 24-inch suitcases. We will just bring a tote bag or napsack as a carry-on. Does this sound realistic? Any luggage-buying advice? Should I get black or gray?

MamaBearTeacher of DS9, DS6, DS4

I would not buy luggage without a specific trip or trips in mind.

For travel to London, for a trip involving a lot of walking and using the Tube for transport, I would use the largest carry-on size possible, in the lightest weight I could afford (plus a backpack that fits under the seat in front of me). For spending two weeks with relatives, bringing tons of outgrown toys and clothes to hand down, flying on Southwest (which doesn't charge for checked bags), and getting picked up at the airport in a car, I'd use the biggest suitcase I could take without over-size charges - maybe even two - plus a backpack and/or carry-on suitcase. Two very different scenarios, and two very different suitcase requirements.

IN addition, if I was traveling with kids, sometimes I'd pack a separate suitcase for them, sometimes we'd combine our stuff into one. In part, that depends on whether they can tote their own. I once took two small kids to Europe using only a large camping-type backpack with a zip-off daypack. I needed my hands to push the two-year old in the stroller and hold the five year old's hand, so a large backpack was my only option. Each kid also had a very small backpack of their own.

So you can see that it is hard to suggest luggage without a specific trip in mind.

The main thing to decide is whether you want a carry-on size (in which case get the maximum allowed), or a larger size. Nowadays, many people are using just the carry-on if they possibly can. It's also a nice size for car trips.

You also have to consider weight. If you (or your kid) has to lug it, it should be lightweight. I wouldn't stress about color. As a previous poster mentioned, ribbon or fabric tied around the handle is the best way to identify your bags.

As to just taking a tote bag on board - not a good plan! If you are traveling with kids, it is wise to assume that 1) your flight will be delayed, possibly for 24 hours, and 2) your checked luggage will be lost. Of course these things don't happen every time, but I always prep for them because sometimes they do, and I don't want to be caught out with little kids and no supplies. Many times I have been grateful I planned ahead, and I was able to remain calm and pleasant and care for my kids in stressful situations. So I tend to carry on quite a bit - food, extra diapers, change of clothes, polar fleece pullover, entertainment for the kiddos. Just a tote bag for three kids would not be enough, IMHO.

All that said, I strongly suggest you shop around. You can pay quite a bit for luggage, and prices vary widely. Take some time to look at options. Marshalls/TJ Maxx often has luggage. I would also look at a specialty luggage store and talk to the salespeople about the various features available. Also check Rick Steves' web site - he has quite a bit of travel info.

My extended family shares our luggage. Whoever is traveling takes whatever fits their situation. No need for us all to have everything!

Edited by askPauline

I agree with those that say but the biggest carry ons and the biggest check-ins you can reasonably manage. Last year, the two dc and I packed separate suitcases, completely oblivious to the checked baggage fee. $60. each way. *ouch* This year, we combined into the largest acceptable size, and made sure we didn't exceed the 50 lb. limit. $20 each way.

I don't have anything to add regarding size, but I highly recommend LL Bean for luggage. They're expensive, but we've used ours pretty intensely for several years, and they still look nearly new. And if anything ever goes wrong with them, I can return them. I had dept. store luggage (including well-known luggage names) a couple times before that, and they just didn't hold up.

I don't have anything to add regarding size, but I highly recommend LL Bean for luggage. They're expensive, but we've used ours pretty intensely for several years, and they still look nearly new. And if anything ever goes wrong with them, I can return them. I had dept. store luggage (including well-known luggage names) a couple times before that, and they just didn't hold up.

:iagree:I would suggest their duffles. Ours have flown with us several times now and don't look any worse for it. They also come in fun colors and patterns so it makes it easy to find. Plus, their smaller duffle is carry-on approved. It makes it easy for the kids to "carry" their own stuff.

As for suitcases, we've been very happy with the super-large American Tourister suit cases we found at Wal-Mart, in bright blue--I think they have a couple different colors. I had to get one of those when my smaller luggage caused us to go over our allotment and the extra baggage fee was about twice the cost of the new suit case! You do have to becareful to not over fill them weight wise, but they're large enough that if we go on a small trip, we can put everything into one or two for our family of four. That said, we only travel internationally so our situation is also a little different.

Everyone has black bags! If you buy black consider having a luggage tag that you will quickly recognize that will allow you to claim your bag on the first trip around....

That used to be the case but now you can find a crazy assortment of neon pink, orange, purple, red, neon green/yellow (chartruese?) and various different florals. Now days the blacks, navys and hunter greens are far and few between. My family has bright red and it finally got to the point where there was so many of those that we had to start putting a bandana on the handle. Believe it or not we still ended up with the wrong luggage once. :001_smile:

We do one backpack per kid, a small wheeled carry-on for each adult and a wheeled suitcase for everyone. That's what we've done ever since the kids could walk well enough to wheel their own suitcase. It's true you might have to pay for multiple suitcases, but you'll also pay for an overweight suitcase. I like to keep everyone's stuff separate and there have been many times (like when we landed out on the runway in the snow in Frankfurt and had to walk to the terminal) that I was glad everyone had control of their own bags.

eta: We have purchased bags like these since living here. Generally very easy to pick out. :D

Edited by Mrs Mungo

In our family, each couple shares the largest size ones. The kids get a medium one and then everyone has their own laptop bag that carries their own electronics. Then we have one or two toiletry/medicine bags depending on how many people are traveling. All of these bags are roll-ons so it works out that every person is usually responsible for one bag. Plus I always carry a book/tote bag as does one of my older dd.

The weight limit for most airlines is 40-50 lbs. and most of them only allow one checked and one carry on now so it is even more important to travel lightly. We do a lot of car travel as well and we usually have four people per mini-van plus two dogs so our limits are about the same. The trip at Thanksgiving was two adults, two kids and two dogs. We had one large suitcase, two medium ones, three laptop bags, one toiletry bag and my book/totebag.

I would never buy black or grey.

I purchased at Kohls a polka dot suitcase that I thought was so cute, my mother thought was horrible.

It is so easy to spot when the luggage is sliding down the chute. Love it!

I have bought all our suitcases at Kohls recently (always on sale) and they have been to Hong Kong, Europe and around the USA and are holding up just fine.

We do one backpack per kid, a small wheeled carry-on for each adult and a wheeled suitcase for everyone. That's what we've done ever since the kids could walk well enough to wheel their own suitcase. It's true you might have to pay for multiple suitcases, but you'll also pay for an overweight suitcase. I like keep everyone's stuff separate and there have been many times (like when we landed out on the runway in the snow in Frankfurt and had to walk to the terminal) that I was glad everyone had control of their own bags.

:iagree: This is exactly how we do it too. One suitcase and one backpag/small bag per person. We have 4 carry on size suitcases (which is pretty darn big IMHO) and 1 larger one for anything bulky. The children are all responsible for dealing with their own luggage, and it's been very easy. Only when DD is very tired do one of us perhaps end up pulling her suitcase in addition to ours.

Don't get anything too big, some airlines will charge you extra for big suitcases. I would look on airlines websites to see if you can find any information on suitcase number or size and charges. It can always change, but at least you'll know what the current situation is.

I would get whatever color you want. You can always tie ribbons or a colorful tag to any luggage to identify it.

Also I would make sure that they all wheel easily. Newer luggage generally does wheel easily, but you never know. Also I would try to get luggage that the smaller bag fits on top of the larger bag. It makes it easier to move alot of luggage that way.

We only own carry-on size luggage. DH works in the travel industry and likes to only check bags if absolutely necessary. We are really light travelers, though, so that may not work for others. If you do decide to get four suitcases, I would recommend two larger/check-in size and two smaller/carry-on size. That way, if you could still nest them for storage but would also have the flexibility of having carry-ons (less $$ for bag fees, plus no lost luggage concerns, good for smaller trips such as road trips or if you are not traveling all together for some reason).

My favorite carry-ons are from Samsonite and Travelpro. Both have held up very well for us. DH used the Travelpro bag for several years of heavy use and the only problem he ever had was from chipping one of the wheels on an escalator. We had it repaired for a few dollars and it was as good as new. They are both traditional black, and on the few occasions I have had to check a bag and wait for it on the belt, I've never had a problem recognizing which bag is mine. If you are concerned, you can attach a ribbon, put colored duct tape around a handle, etc. I prefer black because it doesn't show dirt or wear as easily as lighter or patterned fabrics.