Menu

Am I a mean mom, or what?

Both of my older two dd want AG dolls for Christmas. Well, the kids saw this HUGE box arrive from AG, and started asking all sorts of questions. I put the box in my bedroom and checked the order, one of the dolls I ordered was incorrect... so I called AG and asked for a replacement (no problem).

The girls' didn't see the replacement doll box arrive, and right now think that I returned one of the dolls... and that one of them will not have a doll under the tree.

I keep telling them I'm not going to say anything about what we may or may not be getting from AG this year... but they keep asking. I can't exactly tell them not to worry -- because there is at least SOME suspense over whether or not they will both be getting a doll, or if one of them isn't.

FTR, I only feel a tiny bit guilty...

I'd just tell them you never discuss presents before Christmas and that you always do your best to surprise them and would never purposefully do anything to disappoint them. Maybe that bit of reassurance would help. I'd worry about their attitudes toward one another right now. They could be feeling resentful if they worry they are the one who will not get a doll. I wouldn't want that type of worry and anxiety to cloud the fun anticipation of Christmas gifts.

I'd just tell them you never discuss presents before Christmas and that you always do your best to surprise them and would never purposefully do anything to disappoint them. Maybe that bit of reassurance would help. I'd worry about their attitudes toward one another right now. They could be feeling resentful if they worry they are the one who will not get a doll. I wouldn't want that type of worry and anxiety to cloud the fun anticipation of Christmas gifts.

No, their attitudes have been fine. My 4yo is still a bit "oblivious." I also have this suspiscioun that my oldest "saw" her doll... she also doesn't seem worried about it.

I cannot wait until we get into our new home -- where I will have my "locked" room.

I think I would complain to AG!!! They REALLY need to put their stuff in non-descript boxes. That is just not cool! They have probably ruined the surprise for more than just your kids :(

In all fairness, the box is as non-descript as it can be. The mailing label said "American Girl." And my oldest ds does NOT have a "filter," IYKWIM.

I think I would complain to AG!!! They REALLY need to put their stuff in non-descript boxes. That is just not cool! They have probably ruined the surprise for more than just your kids :(

I ordered Elizabeth's bed for one of my girls and the box came not only with the American Girl name on the shipping label (no biggie), but also with "Elizabeth's Bed" on stickers on all sides of the box. :glare: This is her Santa present - had she seen it, Santa would be ruined for her. I had it shipped to my office. My other dd may have seen it, but she is beginning to question the whole Santa thing. Anyway, you would think that they would not label the outside of boxes with the contents given the fact that their products are usually gifts for young girls. :001_huh:

I ordered a Melissa & Doug shopping cart from Amazon for my toddler. I was surprised to open the shipping box and find another shipping box inside. Amazon reboxed it because the original box had a big picture of the toy. :D

On the other hand, the dollhouse kit we ordered from miniatures.com had a HUGE bright picture on the box. Only our nanny's quick thinking saved that one.