Menu

Singapore Math: text, activity books, EM, readers?

My son tested into Earlybird Kindergarten book B. So there's the text book, activity book, readers, Essential Math book... I haven't even gotten to manipulatives. I read the FAQ at Singapore's site, and I'm still not clear on what to buy.

Also, where's the best (least expensive) place to purchase the curriculum? I don't need to buy anything other than math right now.

Thanks!

Essential Math is its own program. *I* would keep it simple and just buy EM. It has instructions (designed for 1 on 1 while EB is designed for classroom) and additional activities on each page. It is more affordable and I think it is laid out much better. Use all the $ you save to stock up on manips.;)

I bought my Singapore at Sonlight. They have them all in a kit.

http://www.sonlight.com/KMUS.html

If you click on the recommended resources, then you will see extra manipulatives that are recommended as well.

For the Earlybird K though, I went with the US edition that is out of print; but you can get it at Heart of Dakota.

http://www.heartofdakota.com/singapore.php

Edited by OpenMinded

Essential Math is its own program. *I* would keep it simple and just buy EM. It has instructions (designed for 1 on 1 while EB is designed for classroom) and additional activities on each page. It is more affordable and I think it is laid out much better. Use all the $ you save to stock up on manips.;)

:iagree:

I prefer EM over the EB!! also I have heard the readers really are not that useful. If you want mathy story books check amazon and you'll find lots. We like the sir cumference books :) And yes stock up on manipulatives they make math tons of fun for moms and kiddos.

Thank you SO much for the feedback! I've done LOTS of research before posting and I was still confused. Which manipulatives have you found to be the most useful? I can see where one could drop some serious cash just on manipulatives alone!

1. unifix cubes

2. plastic bear counters and color cups for the younger years

3. counters (little plastic circles for place value)

4. balance in the younger years

5. base ten set

:iagree:

I prefer EM over the EB!! also I have heard the readers really are not that useful. If you want mathy story books check amazon and you'll find lots. We like the sir cumference books :) And yes stock up on manipulatives they make math tons of fun for moms and kiddos.

Please think about going with Essential math and not Earlybird. I have both and much prefer Essential. Here is my blog post comparing the "A" books if you want to see the difference between the two programs.

:iagree: EM has been so much better than EB here.

ETA: I wouldn't buy much for manipulatives until you see a need. My oldest has only used base ten blocks, C Rods, a geared clock, balance scale and money through Singapore PM 2B. I wasted a lot of money on manipulatives that haven't been used.

Edited by Dinsfamily